collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 148
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11272 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Would you pay to watch F1?

Yes
45 (47.9%)
No
26 (27.7%)
Maybe
23 (24.5%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Author Topic: F1 Pay-per-View  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Wizzo

F1 Pay-per-View
« on: October 22, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »

It has been revealed that with two championship contenders in 2007, Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari and Heikki Kovalainen at Renault, Finnish TV station MTV3 is to broadcast the entire Formula One season on a pay per view basis.  :stop:

With a population of just over 5 million, it remains to be seen exactly how many will be prepared to pay for Formula One coverage, especially since previous deals in countries with a more sizeable F1 audience proved unsuccessful, with Bernie Ecclestone eventually opting to pull the plug.

It is widely thought that Formula One Management will use MTV3, and a similar deal with Sport TV in Portugal, as an experiment, as it attempts to find out if there might be a commercial gain in reintroducing pay per view F1 coverage in other countries.

F1 Digital was widely available on mainland Europe in the late 90s and early 00s, however it proved a massive disappointment, certainly in terms of viewer numbers. When introduced to the UK in 2002, with race fans unwilling to shell out £12 for each race, or even £50 for a season ticket,  :o which consisted of more than eight or nine race, Ecclestone opted to pull the plug, after just one season.

Now, it is felt that as fans grow tired of advertisement breaks, and lacklustre commentary, they might be willing to pay extra for dedicated F1 coverage. However, previously the Concorde Agreement has stated that coverage must be available free-to-air.

Pay-per-view could be damaged by the audience drop off that is bound to follow Michael Schumacher's retirement, though the prospect of a new era in F1, that of Alonso, Raikkonen and Massa, could persuade fans to part with their money.

It is a tough call. Sponsors come into F1 in order to have their logos seen by the widest possible audience, aiming for the vast masses rather than the dedicated few.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

Re: F1 Pay-per-View
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »
To qualify my yes vote, I don't agree with pay to view but if it comes to it, yes I would have to pay to view. Don't know about Kimi, what about Felipe, I think he's gonna take some beating.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:04:11 AM »

I said no out of principle, but to be perfectly honest if it came to it I think I would cough up. £12 per race does seem a bit steep though!
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 09:23:32 PM »
£12 does seem a bit steep don't it, thought sky had a great idea a while ago, totally interactive £15 for the weekend but alas it never worked out

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 10:38:08 PM »

To watch f1 in Louisville,Kentucky 1st you have to   
    buy basic cable $45 a month,upgrade to digital[rent
    digital box converter} $7.95 a month then buy the
    sports package $10.00 a month 

CBS covers 4 races a year free,but they show them
    delayed and the Monaco race they show at the same
    time as the Indy 500
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 10:48:31 PM »

^^^ :o^^^

And we moan about a few commercial breaks!

Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:06:44 AM »
A few years ago, they tried to do the two Pocono NASCAR races as pay-per-view. The fans boycotted them on mass and the idea of NASCAR pay-per-wiew was never heard of again. If the fans boycott this nonsense it will come to a stop quicker than Schummi in LaRascasse!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 06:37:57 AM »
I, on principal, hate the idea that one would have to pay to view F1.  To me it just seems that the greed is outgrowing the thought for the common fan.  Having said that, if it did come down to paying to see the sport, i guess i would just suck it and pay, complaining the whole way.  What can i say, my principals are left in the pits when it comes to my love of the sport.  Hopefully stronger minds prevail, and all this will become is a test gone wrong.

Offline GrandPrixPix

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 05:16:22 PM »
If it showed the Friday practice sessions and all the race without ad breaks and driver interviews after the race (instead of coronation street) then i'm all for it!

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 07:30:18 PM »
Right on GrandPrixPix. Coronation St.  :sick:

Offline f1box

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 07:47:10 PM »
"Racing is life ....... everything before and after is just waiting"

www.f1box.co.uk - independent motorsport memorabilia retailer

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
I voted "yes" and I know for a fact that I would, thanks to a moment of desperation earlier this year.  It was just before the Canadian GP and I switched on the TV to watch.  Remembering that Fox had the rights this season, I ignored SpeedTV and started to hunt down the relevant channel.

Now, Fox is probably the most confusing set of channels on American TV (and, believe me, they are all confusing) and it took a while to establish that the GP was available on four of their channels.  Okay, so I looked at the first.  Pay-per-view.  Hmmm.  On to the next.  Pay-per-view.  "Bastards!"  I thought, "Bernie is supposed to have prevented this sorta scam from happening."  Tried the third.  Well, tried is the right word - I couldn't find it.

By now I'm getting desperate - time is creeping on and I'm wondering if I can get the swines to accept a credit card payment over the phone so that I can watch.  Just in time, the last channel proved to be the right one.  Heaved a sigh of relief and settled down to watch.  Come back SpeedTV, all is forgiven...

But I can assure you I'd be prepared to pay, oh yes.  ;)
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 06:20:49 PM »
I believe the next two races are also on Fox.
At least we still have the Speed announcers

I miss the prerace grid walk with Pete Windsor
and the drivers interview after the race
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:53:05 PM »
Well, I know Fox has the French GP but I'm not sure about the British.  At least now I know where they hide the free version (indelibly printed on my mind...).

And also glad they have the same presenters as SpeedTV.  In fact, judging by the moans and groans about ITV in the UK, we have a much better show all round in theStates.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 07:16:19 PM »
What's your thoughts on Derel Daly?Aren't
you glad CBS no longers airs f1 with Derek

When CBS had f1 one of their announcers
was former Indy winner,ex f1 driver,and
native of my city Louisville,Kentucky.
Unfortually he made a better race driver
than announcer!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle