collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 185
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso: I don't want to race with the small teams  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Dare

Alonso: I don't want to race with the small teams
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:11 AM »
No matter your feeling on Alonso he makes a lot
of sense here

Wednesday 20th May 2009    Planet F1

Fernando Alonso fears this could be his last season in Formula One as the political row continues to take a stranglehold on the sport.

Ferrari's failure to gain an injunction against the FIA's new rules for next season has cast fresh doubt on their future participation, along with the other major manufacturers.

There is now the distinct possibility Ferrari will carry out their threat to withdraw from F1, and if so the likes of Renault, Toyota and BMW Sauber would likely follow suit.

Alonso has made it clear he will not be around if the big boys do pull out, and F1 becomes littered with a number of unknown teams.

"If the big teams and the big manufacturers leave F1 then I don't want to race with the small teams, because it is not F1 any more, and there are many other categories," said Alonso.

"For me, it is strange no one sat down and thought how much we are damaging the sport, how much damage the sport has had in the last two months.

"To have those three or four new teams and to lose seven of the big manufacturers, I cannot understand, and not just losing the seven manufacturers, but losing the 10 best drivers in the world.

"F1 would not be interesting."

Alonso concedes the situation has become a distraction in the build up to the sport's most prestigious grand prix of the year - Monaco.

"I tried to switch off and concentrate on this business," said the 27-year-old.

"Here, in Monaco, I will be 100% focused on the grand prix, with the weekend.

"But it is true that last week when I was at home it was impossible to switch off because I didn't know if this would be my last time in Monaco."

There are rumours Alonso will one day compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours at some point in the future, an event he is scheduled to attend next month.

That is all very well, but as he readily concedes, he would "hope to race more than once a year."

He added: "Obviously I am 27, I have been two-times World Champion and I would like to win more categories and more series.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Alonso: I don't want to race with the small teams
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:59:13 AM »
An interesting thought, but if the teams withdraw their drivers should be free to sign with other teams. While a few may share Alonso's feelings, I'm sure many would sign with new teams figuring a WDC is a WDC.

Lonny

PS I'm beginning to get the feeling Max is going to do it to us again.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:57:10 AM »
One thing I've learned watching the FIA screw with the rules over the last ten years is that they'll always recognize a mistake.

The problem is they normally make more changes rather than simply go back

If the big teams cancel and 2010 is lost the FIA will reverse course

Offline romephius

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:38:38 AM »
Alonso makes a good point about damage.... I wonder... why aren't we seeing Max and Bernie in front of the FIA tribunal for acting in a manner that brings the sport into disrepute??? 

Rom

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »
Alonso makes a good point about damage.... I wonder... why aren't we seeing Max and Bernie in front of the FIA tribunal for acting in a manner that brings the sport into disrepute??? 

Rom

Yesterday the top story on CNN.com was Ferrari losing their appeal.

The most important news story, on an AMERICAN web site, at the time was Ferrari threatening to leave F1.

Suddenly, it's pretty obvious this is a gambit.  Ferrari versus Formula One!   Will the most exclusive racing car in the world seperate from the most exclusive racing series in the world?  What will Ferrari do without F1!?  Will F1 survive without Ferrari?  Stay tuned!!

Bernie must be behind this all, and subscribing to the 'any press is good press' theory.

It might be a distraction to those of us who happen to like F1.  I don't think anyone here is going to not watch the Monaco GP because of these shenanigans, but I'm betting a bunch of people who wouldn't will. 

The same goes for the Aussie GP next year. 

At least that's Bernie's bet.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Alonso makes a good point about damage.... I wonder... why aren't we seeing Max and Bernie in front of the FIA tribunal for acting in a manner that brings the sport into disrepute??? {romephius - 2 posts ago}

Because Max is in the FIA and he knows, for all the aggravation he may feel towards him, that he needs Bernie to help him maintain his power.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle