collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve open to F1 return  (Read 6247 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Villeneuve open to F1 return
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

I wonder if the USGP team will consider Jacques suitably qualified for their car?

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve says he is keen to get back racing soon - as he admits he would be open to offers from Formula 1 teams.

The French-Canadian has had little joy in trying to make a breakthrough in NASCAR and, making an appearance at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, he made it clear he wants to get back in the cockpit soon.

"I'm looking at getting back into racing," Villeneuve told AUTOSPORT.

There had been rumours in recent weeks that Villeneuve was looking at an F1 comeback. And, although he has not made any serious bid to secure a seat, he says he would be open to any opportunities that came up.

"It's not something I've worked on actively," he explained. "Looking at the cars now and the championship it would be fun, but I have been much more active working on NASCAR.

"I live in Canada, but when you see the F1 cars with slicks and no refuelling next year it is everything I've asked for over the years, so there is a little moment where you think - wouldn't it be great, but that is it.

"If there was an opportunity I would not spit on it, the cars are everything I wanted them to be to drive, so it would be fun, and honestly it is a little bit boring right now – nobody says anything apart from the political aspect, so it looks like it could be fun.

"I was talking with [former race engineer] Jock [Clear] and his comments were that the cars would suit me. So if there was an opportunity it would be a lot easier to say yes than no, purely because I love driving, I love racing and these are amazing cars."

When asked for his feelings about Brawn GP's success this year, with the team's roots traced back to the British American Racing outfit that Villeneuve helped set up, he said: "There is a part of me that is very happy because I built that team up.

"There is a little bit of pride there, and it shows that it wasn't a bad project in the long run. But there is a little bit of a bitter aspect because it is other people reaping the fruit of it all, but that is how it is."

Autosport.com, Today

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

Re: Villeneuve open to F1 return
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:16:57 PM »
As a Canadian, I would thrilled to See Jacques back in an F1 car on the 2010 grid. A long time since we have seen the Canadian flag flying over the podium.

Brawn GP would be a good fit as Jacques knows the boys and Rubins has been less then impressive in the 2009 car.

Jacques and Jens in 2010.

A nice ring to it, don't you think.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
I hear Stirling has been hunting out his old racing helmet too.  :D
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 11:52:38 PM »
As a Canadian, I would thrilled to See Jacques back in an F1 car on the 2010 grid. A long time since we have seen the Canadian flag flying over the podium.

Brawn GP would be a good fit as Jacques knows the boys and Rubins has been less then impressive in the 2009 car.

Jacques and Jens in 2010.

A nice ring to it, don't you think.

As a Canuck it was JV that got me into F1 at the first place.  I was under the impression he'd burned some bridges at Honda, but obviously I know nothing of the true story.

He was always easy on tires, so the new rules might be perfect for him, if he's still got it.

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Jacques has been away too long IMO and if he
still had the talent who would want him?From
my remembrance JV was not the most well liked or
easy driver to work with.Better stick to NASCAR
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:59:37 AM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 07:46:29 AM »
I started following Jacques when he started in Champ Cars and dominated the field.  Then he moved to Williams and I was still impressed (even if he WAS in the best car in the field at the time).

Then he and his moron manager decided they could run things their way and they started BAR with what was left of Tyrell.  It all went to hell.  They used probably half their budget for their two salaries (must have been hilarious to have the two of them negotiate with each other over drinks in their motorhome..."What?  You want $20m a year?  But that's unheard of Jacques!"..."Hey Craig, who's the boss?"..."Oh, you're right, no problem, sign here.  I've got to run, I've got some kids to teach how to ski").  They stunk, and when Honda finally bought them outright, all JV could do was whine, whine, whine.  Nothing was EVER his fault (Alonzo's mentor, no doubt).

As a Canadian, I am ashamed of JV and sorry his name is associated with his Dad's.  I'd be surprised if he lasts in NASCAR (although I think he's just in the truck series or Busch, isn't he?).  He certainly doesn't need the money after what he robbed from BAR.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
I don't think any F1 team is looking for Jacques Villenueve to occupy their team seats. A lot has changed in three years and the new teams will probably want drivers with budgets. I seem to remember that was why Jacques is in the Craftsman Truck series at the moment (if I've kept track correctly).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »
Not in our Lifetime!!!

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
I would love to see JV back in F1.  The cars will suit his style now that there is a lot more mechanical grip.  He lost a lot of motivation during the BAR days and at the end of that he was not the driver he had been before.  He may have been out of the car for a little while but he is still fit and could still come back.

I remember people saying Ron Dennis was mad to chase Lauda because he had been out of the car for 2 or 3 years running an airline.  5 years after his retirement he won his third championship.

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
I remember people saying Ron Dennis was mad to chase Lauda because he had been out of the car for 2 or 3 years running an airline.  5 years after his retirement he won his third championship.

It's not like Jacques has been sitting in his bar and swilling cold ones the past 3 years.
He has been driving for Peugeot in Le Mans ans testing as well as NASCAR.

These new regs suit his style perfectly and now that Brawn has managed to put together a team from the ashes of BAR/Honda where Jacques floundered, it could be a nice fit.

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
I would sooner see Alonso in the Brawn (gee that hurt) than JV. Actually, Fernando's ok.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:05 PM »

These new regs suit his style perfectly and now that Brawn has managed to put together a team from the ashes of BAR/Honda where Jacques floundered, it could be a nice fit.

BAR isn't goint to cut Jenson loose any time soon, and it would be tough argue forcing Barichello out for someone who's not exactly a spring chicken.  

I'd like to see Villeneuve in a Ferrari, finally.  If Kimi is going to retire, there'll be room.  Massa is used to being the better driver while standing in his teammate's shadow.

If Alonso goes to Ferrari, then Jacques could go back to Renault and team with Piquet Jr... or back to Williams to team with Rosberg... or JV and Bruno Senna could bring their names to USGP.  That might be just what they need to bring in cash during a losing season.

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
JV wasn't retained by Renault when he was hires to
fill in for Trulli.

As far as USGP,no way.What scares me is USGP will
hire Patrick for her sponsors and publicity and surely
not her driving skills,the same as Andretti Green,

Times and the politics of F1 were different when
Dennis hired Lauda.Noone will be chasing JV.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »
Patrick's driving skills looked pretty good at Indy.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
Seriously, this thread is a joke, right?  There is no way JV is returning to F1.  This is simply a story he has spun to the media for his own benefit...either to up his value in NASCAR or get him bumped up into another series.  I can't take it seriously.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle