collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 614
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve open to F1 return  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Villeneuve open to F1 return
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
JV wasn't retained by Renault when he was hires to fill in for Trulli. {Dare - 3 comments ago}

To be fair, that was because JV had signed for Sauber for 2005 24 hours after signing for Renault for the end of the 2004 season. Though whether either team would have bothered had they known his performance in the Renault is another question entirely...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
At best, JV might find a home at one of the new teams. They might be looking for an experienced driver at a bargain price.

The powers-that-be at USF1 are far too knowledgeable to seriously look at Danica Patrick. While she can turn in a competent performance n an oval, given a vastly superior car, she doesn't do at all well on road courses. The team will also need a driver who will work full time on the development of the car, not an arrive-and-drive who shows up for race week-end and then disappears.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
At best, JV might find a home at one of the new teams. They might be looking for an experienced driver at a bargain price.

You aren't talking about JV if you are talking about a bargain price.  Money was what he has always been about.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »

You aren't talking about JV if you are talking about a bargain price.  Money was what he has always been about.

It's conceivable that he's changed, and genuinely misses being in the F1 cockpit.

I wonder if he might actually partner with a new team to become a pay driver?

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
Sorry to be boring but shouldn't we look at the facts?
If USF1 are serious about F1 taren't they going to need a driver who knows the tracks. Most of the tracks JV knew have gone. Danica doesn't know any of them and simply doesn't have the talent to learn the tracks at the same time as learning to drive an F1 car.
There are some young Americans in European feeder series (can't remember any names at the moment but I'm sure there are) so USF1 could get a cheap young gun with a US or Canadian passport who would know the tracks. However, if I was starting a new team I think I would try to get one of the test drivers from one of the 'big' teams. Imagine the information they could bring.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
Sorry to be boring but shouldn't we look at the facts?
If USF1 are serious about F1 taren't they going to need a driver who knows the tracks. Most of the tracks JV knew have gone. Danica doesn't know any of them and simply doesn't have the talent to learn the tracks at the same time as learning to drive an F1 car.
There are some young Americans in European feeder series (can't remember any names at the moment but I'm sure there are) so USF1 could get a cheap young gun with a US or Canadian passport who would know the tracks. However, if I was starting a new team I think I would try to get one of the test drivers from one of the 'big' teams. Imagine the information they could bring.

I don't know that the test drivers are as valuable now as they were even a few years ago, which is a shame.  I thought that was a great way to develop talent who really understood F1 before getting into a real race.

I'm sure the new teams will have a lot of philosophies regarding drivers.  Of course, the number of established teams sticking around will affect which veteran talent is available.

Nakajima might be the man most familiar with the tracks!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »

He certainly knows the Armco, walls, barriers and gravel traps better than about anyone else around!  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »

He certainly knows the Armco, walls, barriers and gravel traps better than about anyone else around!  ;)

People mention a American driver for USGP and
then say JV would be a good fit,only problem with
that is Canada isn't in the US.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »

It is, however, in America. :P
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Dare

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 11:44:22 PM »

North America :Dso is Mexico
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 11:54:05 PM »
As far as USGP,no way.What scares me is USGP will
hire Patrick for her sponsors and publicity and surely
not her driving skills,the same as Andretti Green,

The day Danica Patrick starts an F1 race as a driver will be the last day I watch a Formula One race.

Does anyone actually think that she got where she is because of her driving skills?

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 12:08:08 AM »
Couldn't agree more Willy.Her first year at Indy
when everyone raved about her driving she
should have been disqualifyed for recklaess
driving.Ask Enge and Scheckter,she ended their
races

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 02:07:21 AM »

North America :Dso is Mexico

Well, you said an American driver.  Strictly speaking, that would include Central and South America which kinds extends USF1's options a little.  ;)

Of course, we all know that USF1 really mean a Statesider when they say "American".
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 02:11:12 AM »
If I had a choice, I'd say sure give a young American a shot, but I still think they need someone with experience to develop the car, especially with the limits on testing now. I never thought JV was a good test driver, but I would look hard at de la Rosa if he's available.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »
Personally I think USGP should get the best driver available
regardless of nationality.How longs it been since Ferrari has
had a Italian driver[test drivers excluded]

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle