collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 620
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Will Button be 2009 WDC

yes
14 (93.3%)
no
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Will Button be 2009 WDC  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Dare

Will Button be 2009 WDC
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:28:32 AM »
6 races in Button looks like a lock.

What do you think?

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
Re: Will Button be 2009 WDC
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:28:06 AM »
think so Dare, BUTTON is so confident now and his "old fashioned" smooth style is showing how it makes his car tyres last longer and give him better tyre management options. He is clearly superior to ruebens.

I think a few drivers in F1 are missing the electronic aids because they do not have a car as good as the BRAWN or jenson's "seat of the pants" empathy with their machines.

however, FERRARI have made signicant gains and may push jenson and BRAWN for both titles.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »
I can't see it going any other way.  Even if Ferrari have found the speed they need (almost), they will no doubt continue to make strategic errors, and their reliability is still in question.  Vettel will no doubt get a couple more wins, but he needs to pound out the consistent laps as Button has demonstrated.  Rubens now has no choice but to be tailgunner, whatever he says in the press, he is destined for the big number 2.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
I voted yes, but I think it will become increasingly difficult for him to maintain his current form later in the year as other teams develop and become more competitive. I think Ferrari have made a good step forward with developing the F60 and with hopefully challenge for at least a couple of wins this year. 8) I have a feeling it's now or never for Button and Brawn as by next year the others will have caught up, but maybe I should not discount the genius of Ross Brawn to bring something special next year too. :crazy: It would be great to see another British WC that doesn't drive a silver car. Long Live Ferrari. :yahoo:

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »
I'm just glad that JenSON finally has a car that can match his ability, if BrawnGP can match the richer teams improvements JenSON's skill wil more than match them. JenSON for WDC.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
It's unlikely for Vettel to run the table for the rest of the season, and even if he does, the wheels need to fall off completely for Button to finish out of/far down the points for the rest of the season.

I think Ferrari is too far back to mount any kind of comeback, unless Brawn gives up tomorrow.

The current point structure simply rewards consistency, and Brawn is the most consistent team out there.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »

I want to say yes, and I have in the voting, but I think it is still to early to call. If Ferrari and Mclaren find the speed in the next couple of races we could see a a close finish by the season end. Red bull are getting stronger and if these teams can all score ahead of Brawn at 5 or 6 races the gap will be closed enough for each team to get behind one of their drivers for a run at the WDC.

I remain a definite maybe with high hopes that Jens can do it.

Now here's a separate subject for debate, who will each team be favouring later in the season because they are beating their teamate by a good margin? 

I think  Massa will get the nod over Kimi, Vettel should manage to keep mark at bay and Lewis will as usual be ahead of Heikki.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:32:29 PM »
Brawn has been on the pace everywhere. The last chance anyone else had was if it was no good at Monaco then it woul probably not be competitive at Singapore/Valencia etc.

Now it is a done deal.

I think the Ferrari drivers carried the car this weekend.  That car has evil handling on anything but the shortest corners.  Massa normally owns Turkey but I can't see that car allowing him to be consistent there this year.  The back end just seems to twitch when it is loaded up and at most tracks that is a big problem.

I think Red Bull will bethe number 2 team for the next few races.

Shame Hamilton dropped it in quali as I think he could have been a genuine threat.  One thing we seem to have learned this weekend is that KERS on a bumpy track is lethal.  There were numerous occasions where the back end of the KERS cars stepped out before turn in on several corners.

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »
Yes, he will.
And Jenson has kissed too many frogs for anyone to say he doesn't deserve it.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »
I want to vote "yes", but dare not jinx matters by placing the vote!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
I expect things to tighten up from here on out, but I also think that Button has enough of a lead that only a complete meltdown at Brawn could keep him from the title.

If we had Bernie's medals system, it would be all but over now!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I expect things to tighten up from here on out, but I also think that Button has enough of a lead that only a complete meltdown at Brawn could keep him from the title.

If we had Bernie's medals system, it would be all but over now!

Well, if Vettel or Massa win the next three races with Button getting podiums, then the medals would be quite exciting compared to the points.

Both the points and the medals are going to yield the same results when one driver runs away.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 06:47:19 PM »
Jenson is so far ahead, it will take a team, maybe two to deny him. Kimi or Massa or Vettel would not only have to win several races, other drivers would have to be racking up 2nds and 3rds to push Jens off the podium for them to close the gap enough. Not impossible, but given the Brawn's pace everywhere and Ross' excellent racecraft, unlikely.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
I think Button is a lock but nothing is
for sure.Schimacher made a ron at Alonso
in 05 and we know what happened to
Hamilton's lead the last 2 years
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 11:16:47 AM »
I'm sure Jenson is going to get a lot more pressure but it will take a single driver to have a lot of success to push him off the top step. The way things are going I think we will see lots of different drivers finding success through the rest of the year.
I know I'm a Jenson fan but even though he is leading by a huge margin I still feel there is a lot of excitement in the championship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle