collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 598
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why is Entry deadline May, usually it's November?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Why is Entry deadline May, usually it's November?
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »

I must say I had missed the the fact that the entry calendar has changed by 6 months, so obviously the teams are miffed that they can't be granted a short ( or long) extension. I can't see a reason for the date coming so far forward, this is just another bid by Max to steamroller the teams with his f*****g crazy plans.

Mind you Lauda who has seen many bun fights in F1 is not impressed with  FOTA/FIA/FOM and the PR, or lack of it from the teams, as he makes all to clear.

F1 teams asked for a grace period beyond Friday's deadline for 2010 entries, Flavio Briatore has revealed.

"We asked and we had no luck," said the Renault boss, also a leading light of the teams' alliance, FOTA.

Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali said before departing Monaco that he is expecting the days of this week to be "very long," as May 29 and the closing of official team entries for next year looms.

"Every year it (the entry deadline) is in November, and this year it is in May. I do not understand why," Briatore is quoted as saying on Monday by Spanish newspapers.

He said the FIA turned down the request of a two or four week deadline extension.

With every passing hour, the story about F1's power struggle develops.

The latest rumour is that FIA President Max Mosley's meeting with Martin Whitmarsh and Norbert Haug on Sunday morning is a sign that McLaren is set to join traditional ally Williams in lodging its entry paperwork by Friday.

Niki Lauda, the blunt-speaking former triple World Champion, is unimpressed with the spate of politicking.   

"For decades Formula One has been the stage for egocentric performers, and the cast grows every day, like cancer," he said in an interview with Austria's Kleine Zeitung newspaper.

The great driver also slammed the F1 teams for departing Monaco without better informing the public of the details behind the crisis, including the threats to quit the sport.

Lauda said reporters at the weekend were reporting "every fart" and detail of the situation, while the teams were "too stupid" to properly brief them.

"This is a Formula One that is just embarrassing," he added.

© CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: Why is Entry deadline May, usually it's November?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
The entry date is linked with the cap.  As it has been pointed out, if anyone starts a car now, and agrees to a cap in November, they might exceed the cap without turning a single lap.

As long as a cap is in place, it makes sense to have the sign up date now.

If the cap isn't in place, then they really just need to know a couple days before Australia.

As far as I know the cap is still in place.  I don't think that Renault is interested in starting their development for 2010 in November, are they?

It is a clear example of how not to effect change though.  Giving teams a month to decide their future with a complete overhaul of the rules and budgets just isn't fair.  (I realise that 'fair' has nothing to do with this.)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
I think the way Max is completely refusing to budge on the cap shows that this is about power and control, not about the good of F1. Any man with a brain should be open to some compromise on the start and level of a cap. If the teams that have said they will leave follow through, Max will indeed be in charge of something more like GP3 than F1.

Lonny
Lonny

david1275

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Max's guide on how to systematically dismantle the greatest sport in the world!! I didn't know until I read this that the deadline had been brought forward 6 months, as a fan you normally don't have to worry about when your team has to submit their entry. This is madness railroading the teams into accepting these mad rule changes, I don't think there are any teams with the exception of Toyota that don't want to be on the grid next year. So they are left with no choice but to accept if they want to race, and as Jeri says "it just isn't fair" to give such a short time to decide the future. We are a serious risk of having to settle for a second rate version of F1 ongoing, with the exception of the yes boys, McLaren and Williams, it's great to see the sensible teams standing up for what F1 is, the pinnacle of world motorsport.

I have the solution however. I have dispatched a crack team of scantly clad young ladies posing as 1940's German military personnel to spank Max into submission. Results to follow >:D

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
The deadline was going to be July until Max turned it into a one-week window in late May. I've heard that McLaren and Ferrari had already spent more than the £23m permitted on 2010 development before Max said anything about budget capping, so this is basically a power-play.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
The deadline was going to be July until Max turned it into a one-week window in late May. I've heard that McLaren and Ferrari had already spent more than the £23m permitted on 2010 development before Max said anything about budget capping, so this is basically a power-play.

Is anything that happens off track NOT a powerplay?

I'm surprised there aren't TV dramas set in the world of racing

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
At last there is something I agree with Max about.  I knew if I dug deep enough there would be one.  I just didn't expect it to take several decades to find it.

The entry date should be early and preferably earlier than May. So I am not in complete agreement.  Teams entering F1 need to commit a lot of money and need to know as early as possible that that they are in or not.

We have 4 new teams applying for 3 slots and they have 6 months to go from a clean sheet of paper to and F1 operation with a car running.  Although at this stage we don't know what rules it will be running to or how much they are allowed to spend on what or what materials they are allowed to use.  The whole thing is farcical.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle