collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 146
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Who will be available to the new teams?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Jericoke

Who will be available to the new teams?
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
I guess it's time to get the silly season started.

Assuming the big teams stay on for 2010, which drivers are likely to be available for a new entry looking for a veteran pressance?

I know people have discussed BMW being finished with Heidfeld. ( Kubica might also like his chances better with a new outfit rather than whatever BMW has become  ;) )

Nakajima and Piquet Jr.  don't get a lot of respect around here, but they will know the tracks better than any rookies.

A new team might be Massa or Barichello's only hope of being a true #1 driver.

Offline cosworth151

Re: Who will be available to the new teams?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
Davidson and Sato come to mind. As mentioned elsewhere, JV would be in the mix, too. Wurz, Klein and maybe even Monteiro might have a shot.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:41 PM »

I think we may see Bourdais under consideration by USGPE, after all he was a big star in the States until a couple of years ago. Bruno Senna, although he is not an F1 vet but is very experienced, is sure to catch someones (or their finance director's) eye as he is likely to be able to bring sponsors with him.

I agree that the old guard, so to speak, may come into their own and drivers like Rubens, Fischi, Kovi, Nick, Piquet and Nakajima will all find a berth which is just as well if the top teams all use the budget cutting to bring in cheap rookie number twos for 2010.

Of the previous drivers with unfinished business - as well as the ones already mentioned I think Pedro de la Rosa, Christian Albers and Toni Luizzi may be in with a shout

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

david1275

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:48 PM »

I think Felipe Massa proved last year that he is no #2 driver in Ferrari. 6 wins 97 points in one season, the man is top dog and it's Kimi who has to play second fiddle to him.

Guess who my favorite driver is? No prizes ;)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »

I think Felipe Massa proved last year that he is no #2 driver in Ferrari. 6 wins 97 points in one season, the man is top dog and it's Kimi who has to play second fiddle to him.

Guess who my favorite driver is? No prizes ;)

I'm not arguing better driver at Ferrari, and I certainly don't disagree with you.  I just don't get the feeling that Massa is being treated as #1.

If that's what he wants (he's earned it!) he might need to seek his fortunes elsewhere.

david1275

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »
I think Massa is comfortable and happy where he is, and Ferrari are more than happy with him. He is a true team player who has been mentored by the great man himself (Shumi) to be one of the best drivers on the grid. Love the guy :-*

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »
We need to remember that some of the GP2 teams moving up to F1 will come with at least one driver already installed.  Most likely they will keep one of their drivers from GP2 and look for someone with a bit more experience to fill the second seat.  This is presuming that such teams still enter after FOTA has finished with Max.  That 40 million is looking a bit shaky now and rumour has it that the teams want a ceiling of 100 million.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »
We need to remember that some of the GP2 teams moving up to F1 will come with at least one driver already installed.  Most likely they will keep one of their drivers from GP2 and look for someone with a bit more experience to fill the second seat.  This is presuming that such teams still enter after FOTA has finished with Max.  That 40 million is looking a bit shaky now and rumour has it that the teams want a ceiling of 100 million.

So the senior team driver would be the junior F1 driver?  Going to be some culture clashes!

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:03:45 AM »
No, I didn't mean that the experienced driver would be the number 2.  He would take the lead but the team would probably hope that their protege would learn quickly and become their main man in time.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 02:27:08 PM »
No, I didn't mean that the experienced driver would be the number 2.  He would take the lead but the team would probably hope that their protege would learn quickly and become their main man in time.

I know what you meant, but I just can't imagine it going as smoothly.

Besides, how often does a lower rung F1 team groom a driver and then have them stick around to win races?  Mark Webber?  Kimi?  Heidfeld?  Vettel is a bit of an oddity, as STR is pretty much the only F1 farm team in history

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
The good thing about the new teams coming is is that there is a batch of drivers who should be in F1 who have not had a chance yet.  Paul di Resta, Bruno Senna, Lucas di Grassi, Nico Hülkenberg etc should all get a chance.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Who can bring money will still be a factor, even if the budget cap remains.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle