collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bridgestone plans narrower front tyre  (Read 2588 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Bridgestone plans narrower front tyre
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »

Bridgestone is planning to introduce a narrower and lower profile front tyre next season to better suit the handling characteristics of the current generation of Formula 1 cars.

Although F1's control tyre supplier switched from grooved to slick rubber this year, the dimensions of both the fronts and the rears remained unchanged. The removal of the grooves, which were the same size at the front and rear, has given the front tyres proportionally more grip than the back this year, creating more oversteer.

This requires teams to push the weight distribution of their cars even further forward than in 2008, something which exacerbates the difficulties of the heavier drivers, such as Robert Kubica, in running KERS.

Bridgestone is developing this spec of tyres in parallel with a change in the compounds, which is necessary because of the banning of refuelling next year.

"We are now discussing it with the FIA," said Bridgestone head of motorsport tyre development Hirohide Hamashima. "We haven't decided at the moment, but the trend is for a narrower front.

"The teams require Bridgestone to make the car balanced. In 2008, we proposed a smaller front tyre for 2009 but everybody refused it because they had already designed their cars, even though we commented on the oversteer tendency.

"In the winter, we tested a 2010 prototype tyre, a bit narrower, which made the car balance better than the current tyres. But it was not narrow enough for 2010 because they have to use KERS, so they asked us to think about that.

"At the moment, we have proposed an even narrower front tyre."

Hamashima ruled out the possibility of keeping the front tyres the same and widening the rears on cost grounds.

"A wider rear tyre is much more expensive because we have to revise the machinery and other things. We had narrower fronts in 1997, so we have the machines already."

By Edd Straw and Jonathan Noble Today, autosport.com

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Bridgestone plans narrower front tyre
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 01:31:23 AM »
I thought it was up to the designer to produce a car to optimize the tires not the other way round?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:40:09 AM »
It's going to make that big shovel wing stick out even more?   :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
The laws of unintended consequences.

This really demonstrates how complicated the rules are for designing an F1 car. 

It also demonstrates how FIA doesn't listen:

• Bridgestone pointed out the tire wasn't going to work out, they were ignored.
  • Honda and Renault both pointed out that the diffuser rules were unclear and were given different answers.

The tires, aero and engine rules seem to be arrived at seperately.  I think that they've lost sight of the fact that the rules define one car.

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:25:16 AM »
As much as it may not be a technical reply, I liked the look of cars with the smaller front tire better then the current cars.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »
As much as it may not be a technical reply, I liked the look of cars with the smaller front tire better then the current cars.

I do remember how odd the Ferrari looked when they first adopted the larger front tires.

I wouldn't mind going back to the smaller tires, but I'd like the drivers to decide.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle