collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Turkish GP on US TV  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Turkish GP on US TV
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
Clearly we have completely different experiences of American F1 fans.  The vast majority that I have met will only watch NASCAR/IRL if there is nothing else on.  They are proud of their chosen sport, considering that it sets them a cut above the run-of-the-mill motor sport fan (not my fault - that is exactly how they describe it to me), and every one of them enjoys getting up at ridiculous times of the night to watch a GP.

And those are the fans that Fox wants.  If Speed carries the race early, those fans might as well watch the NASCAR/IRL race in the afternoon instead of Fox, why watch the same race twice?

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
Fox, Speed, it's all the same company - why should they care which channel the fans watch as long as they do watch?  Fox's coverage, being delayed, is driving me to the net, however.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
Many US fans, including me, have to find F1 on the web every race. The only cable system in my town doesn't offer Speed. Satellite TV really isn't an option where I live, either.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
Fox, Speed, it's all the same company - why should they care which channel the fans watch as long as they do watch?  Fox's coverage, being delayed, is driving me to the net, however.

TV ratings are important:  they dictate how much they can charge advertisers to pay for commercial programming.

If Fox's ratings for F1 are too far below those for NASCAR, they might scrap showing F1 altogether and put on another Cheater's Island reality show.  That's why they can't allow the audience to split across 2 channels at different times.

They're aware that hard core fans will stream from somewhere else, they've decided there's not enough to worry about it.

The goal is to grow F1 in the USA, and right now, that means getting as many people to watch the race in the afternoon as possible.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »

TV ratings are important:  they dictate how much they can charge advertisers to pay for commercial programming.

If Fox's ratings for F1 are too far below those for NASCAR, they might scrap showing F1 altogether and put on another Cheater's Island reality show.  That's why they can't allow the audience to split across 2 channels at different times.

They're aware that hard core fans will stream from somewhere else, they've decided there's not enough to worry about it.

The goal is to grow F1 in the USA, and right now, that means getting as many people to watch the race in the afternoon as possible.

Not logical, I'm afraid, Jeri.  If Fox are not concerned with the (allegedly) small number of F1 fans who will stream the live video elsewhere, it is no skin off their nose if they cater for such fans by allowing Speed to show the race live.  Since the rest of the motor racing viewers will not watch at such ungodly hours, they are still available to be inveigled into watching at the hour Fox chooses to show the GP.  Everybody wins and the ratings for both channels are maintained.

And that is my point - there is no sensible reason why Speed should not screen the race live while Fox goes after the casual viewers a few hours later.  Fox succeeds only in alienating the existing viewers with their time delay and I am convinced that is because they do not understand the F1 market.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »

Not logical, I'm afraid, Jeri.  If Fox are not concerned with the (allegedly) small number of F1 fans who will stream the live video elsewhere, it is no skin off their nose if they cater for such fans by allowing Speed to show the race live.  Since the rest of the motor racing viewers will not watch at such ungodly hours, they are still available to be inveigled into watching at the hour Fox chooses to show the GP.  Everybody wins and the ratings for both channels are maintained.

And that is my point - there is no sensible reason why Speed should not screen the race live while Fox goes after the casual viewers a few hours later.  Fox succeeds only in alienating the existing viewers with their time delay and I am convinced that is because they do not understand the F1 market.

Of course they don't understand the F1 market.  You don't get far in American broadcasting with obscure sports.

They've got one chance to get it right, and they think that means the most viewers at once.  When you're trying to convince someone who doesn't get it, you have to use their language.  In TV that means ratings, period.  One show has to have the highest ratings possible.  You can't combine ratings for two shows on two channels, even if it's the same show and the same owner.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »
You're right, of course, but that doesn't mean I can't yell at Fox for their stupidity!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 06:20:54 PM »
You're right, of course, but that doesn't mean I can't yell at Fox for their stupidity!

Write them a postcard.  It's my understanding that they take it seriously when someone puts pen to paper and actually spends money on a stamp.

They don't open letters though (ever since that Anthrax thing)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 08:01:06 PM »
I believe it also has something to do with the fact that Bernie charges extra for each time you broadcast the race. To go live and on tape would cost more.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »
I'm not sure about this year but Speed used to show it live
and time delayed on Sunday with a occassionally showing
during the week
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
I believe it also has something to do with the fact that Bernie charges extra for each time you broadcast the race. To go live and on tape would cost more.

Lonny

In Canada we get the European races live at 8 AM, and the Asian races live in the middle of the night, with a repeat at 8 AM.  Brazil comes on live at 1PM.  My favourite race, I get to sleep in ;-)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
Several year ago, Fox Sports Network would re-broadcast the races on Sunday evening.

Speed will re-broadcast the Fox races the following Tuesday at 13:00 EDT. If they do it like last year, that broadcast will include Peter Windsor's pre-race walk about.

They don't open letters though (ever since that Anthrax thing)

I thought it was just that nobody at Faux Network could read.  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

hemanthjava

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
Watch Live F1. Formula 1 Turkey Live Streaming Grand Prix. F1 GP Turkey 2009 Live Stream Video will be here at Webhush. Watch Turkish Grand Prix Formula One Online Free.

http://www.webhush.com/watch-formula-1-grand-prix-live-streaming-turkey-f1-free/

Offline Willy

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
I stand corrected.....they did show an edited version of the post race interviews.

But, I still want to see Peter sticking his mic in Flavio's face and asking about Alonso's fuel load.

An what the hell is that story about Scott Speed possibly coming back to F1? Only as a tire warmer I hope!!!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 06:46:39 AM »
USF1 has promised American drivers, who else is there?

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle