collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 576
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: New entrants filling the field  (Read 3294 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: New entrants filling the field
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 02:56:53 AM »
As Ali once said, budgets are self correcting. If a team or it's sponsors don't feel they are getting their money's worth, they will reduce or withdraw their support. See Honda run!! If Ferrari can spend $400 million good on them. If McLaren or Brawn can accomplish more with less even better. It is truly none of the FIA's Business unless maybe no one at all enters. I don't think that is likely to happen.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 06:45:49 PM »

Just one small point though, I would expect a teensy bit more engine power from the big budget team.  :D

Seriously, that brings up a good point.  If the small team is purchasing engines from the big team, then I think a fair rule (as I think it stands today) is that the customer engines are exactly the same spec as the works engines. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »
I have argued for years that the major faults with F1 are with its leadership which time will take care of and its technical regs.  A budget cap regardless what Max says is entirely unworkable.  Under the FIA's plans they will complete the audit of the teams accounts two months after the season.  Who wants to see someone win a championship and then lose it two months later because they have spent too much on pencils.  Imagine if one team just ignored the budget ca and spent $100 million too much and lead the championship all year as a result and won it only to lose it 2 or morelikely 4 months later.  They and their sponsors have their names given massive ecposure world wide for a year only for someone who may not have won a race to be declared champion.  You may argue that it is not worth anyone spending the money to do that but it would still be less than sponsors are paying now.

To me they need to write the tech regs in a way that means spending money does not give a massive advantage.  Mandate that all suspension pieces should be round in section and made of a particular metal.  That would save a fortune.  Ban carbon composites for all but chassis and mandate that all bodywork and wings be of a particular metal.  There is a limit to the complexity of shapes that can be made in metal so testing is reduced and every minor bump will not result in thousands of shards of carbon all ober the track.

There are a few simple rules like this that could be put in place that would allow teams to be close to competitive at much reduced budgets.

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
Might be fewer DNF's too, since the cars would dent instead of explode   :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 07:50:11 PM »
the problem with 1 team having a 400 Million budget and another a 40 mil even with equal 'say'.. the ability to produce a competitive car will be vastly different. and there goes the tight grids, and parity that they are currently fairly close with.

not ever team has access to unlimited budgets. sure, i can pull for the underdog, but didn't most people tire of the red car driven by MS grow tired of the lack of competition?

and back in the late 60s early 70s when Can-Am was dominated by the McLarens it totally killed the sport.

there has to be some way to control spending.
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 04:15:19 AM »
Sorry, what killed the Can-Am, or at least caused a radical change that lead to it's death was 1200HP of turbopanzer Porsche. When the others realized it would take cubic doillars to beat cubic dollars entries shrunk to almost nil.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
ok, i'll amend interest lost to "my interest lost" due to the dominance of 1 team, but then your point of cubic dollars chasing off, or competition just not showing up reinforces the point i'm  making.

do you want a level playing field with 26 entrants and close racing, or a wide open set of rules and no cost controls and 10 cars racing, with large gaps in the finish? 

i would prefer the former.
hApPy tRaiLs

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle