collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 274
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: How did you get on at Silverstone Ali?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Neil.P

How did you get on at Silverstone Ali?
« on: June 21, 2009, 11:22:50 PM »
Hope you had a good time!!

Neil.P

Offline Wizzo

Re: How did you get on at Silverstone Ali?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Any photos??
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
I got on mostly very well. The start and the end were pretty bad, but if I had the option to go again I would certainly do so.

I sat in the Copse E terrace, except for the GP2 qualifying where I went into Copse C grandstand as a token use of the Friday roving ticket. To be honest, the view from the part of Copse E terrace I was in was perfect for me. Direct view of the pit lane, Copse (up to and including the start lights) and the entrance to Becketts, as well as a giant screen I could see with my little binoculars.

The atmosphere may have been somewhat apparent on TV (I don't know because I still haven't got round to iPlayering the BBC coverage) but you had to be there to really appreciate it. And wear ear defenders. The terrace was packed for all three days and by 9am on Saturday and 7:30am on Sunday, people were being sent to the other end of the terrace. These people, although all supporters of Lewis and Jenson, also supported a whole variety of drivers. Cheering, applause, klaxons (good thing I had ear defenders on...) In fact, I think the only unrepresented driver in terms of support in there was Nelson Piquet Jr, who did not help his cause by spinning in the run-off less than 100m from where I was sitting in first practise! I guess from the laughter that issued around me that he didn't impress many other people either. Only when his team won a support race did he start getting respect.

It was amazing how nervous I got waiting for the race to start. It didn't help that I'd been in the terrace since 6am, but mostly it was additional excitement that was having the effect. There is something inexpressibly marvellous about seeing a race start happen just the other side of the catch fence. It's even better when one of the drivers you support (Fisichella) makes a great start and then maintains a good position. When you notice on lap 4 that you are being joined in applauding by a lot of people, most of whom probably hadn't anticipated being in that situation, you know you're in a good crowd.

I've started writing a series about the race at my blog.

There are no photos - I tried taking a few but they all came out so badly you'd struggle to recognise anything in them.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
I f you've never read "Travels With Ali" I heartily recommend it. She's really quite good. Oh,  watching an F1 race start from the pit wall is pretty good too! ;)

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »
Well done, Ali!  :yahoo:

There's nothing like actually going to a race. I just hope it wasn't Silverstone's last.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle