collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 137
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Branson to end Brawn deal over rising costs  (Read 1417 times)

Online Dare

Branson to end Brawn deal over rising costs
« on: June 21, 2009, 05:18:10 PM »
Looks like when the bargain is gone so is Richard

Sunday 21st June 2009   Planet f1

Virgin boss Richard Branson on Sunday revealed that he does not plan to continue his sponsorship of the Brawn GP team next year because it would be too expensive.

Virgin stepped in as a key sponsor for Brawn as they scrambled to get the team off the ground immediately before the start of the season.

At that stage, no one expected Jenson Button to be the runaway leader of the Drivers' Championship and for Brawn to be heading the Constructors' table.

But that runaway success will change the equation significantly for next year, and Branson admits the numbers will no longer add up.

"We got in when it was very cheap and it's been great for us with global coverage, but I suspect next year the price will be astronomical and we may have to look somewhere else with a smaller team," he told Radio Five Live's Sportsweek.

"We at Virgin have most likely got the mileage we needed from it.

"Their value has gone from next to nothing to £50million a year and we're delighted for them and we'll have had a fantastic year with them."

With the budget-cap row in Formula One reaching crisis point this week as eight leading teams - including Brawn - announced plans for a breakaway series, sponsorship is one of several issues unclear for next season as teams and investors alike must wait to see what form of competition goes ahead.

Branson called for "sense to prevail" and the sport to remain unified as the opposing sides seek a way forward.

"I think it would be a great pity (for them to split)," he said. "Both sides need to sit down and sense needs to prevail.

"There are good arguments on both sides. Certainly the cost base of Formula One needs to be reduced and most of the teams seem to agree to that. The difference between the two sides needs to be sorted out."

While Branson admitted it is up to the teams to determine their own future, he added he believes the existing structure is the strongest.

"If (the teams) really think it is in their interest (to split) and if they're allowed to do it then maybe, but my feeling is that grands prix have worked really well for 60 years and I think what really makes sense is for someone to adjudicate between the two sides."

As to whether he could be that someone, Branson added he would do what he could to help.

"There's a lot of strong personalities in motor sport and I think that certain of those personalities on both sides need to know the art of compromise and sense needs to prevail," Branson said.

"If I can do anything to help I'd certainly be interested in doing so

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Branson to end Brawn deal over rising costs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 12:39:47 AM »
Brawn was riding on on their secret design funded by Honda dollars.  They caught a field that can't test flat footed.

Now the teams with money are coming 'round.

Brawn should have locked in Virgin as a sure source of money instead of getting greedy!

Not to say that Brawn won't win again, but a solid 6th and weak third aren't promising...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:37:06 AM »
That's so like Branson when he can get big exposure cheap you are his best friend, when real money is required it has to be someone elses, preferably channelled through him.

I think Brawn has other options for funding for next year and they have already stated that they can make it through this year, so it's not a big blow. It may even suit Brawn to see Branson off.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »
I think Brawn has got plenty of sponsorship offers lined up (which is probably why Branson has spoken first because he knew Virgin would be dropped next year anyway).
Also, although Jeri is spot-on about the Honda cash developing the current car she might be under-estimating how good the car and the team behind it really are. If you see Button's times at the end of the race, when he finally got some temperature in his last set of softs and the track had rubbered-in, he was as fast as anyone. There isn't much wrong with the car and they have not needed to use any of the development bits they have lined up at the factory. I think at hot tracks they can still beat the Red Bulls, plus I think they have a 'step-function' level of development ready when they need it.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Brawn is better off without that grinning idiot.  Let some other team stick Branson's stupid company name on its cars for the paltry sums he's offering.  Go play with a balloon, Richard.
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »
Don't forget also that the grinning idiot was trying to buy all the space on the car for a pathetically low price for the entire season, so he could re-sell it for a massive profit.  I'm sure glad they didn't take him seriously.  Hey Richard, don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:34:09 PM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:53:24 AM »
Ross will be able to secure major sponsorship easily next season based upon this years performance.
And yes, the car was developed by Honda at the detriment of last seasons car. But, Ross was at the fore in each season and he now gets to reap the rewards.

Branson got what he paid for, and Ross will find have no trouble selling the space on the car.

Online Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:00:52 PM »

A little inside information here, most model car manufacturers are preparing for a mid season change to the Brawn F1 cars. Perhaps indicating a major new sponsor??
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
I caught a rumor that Mercedes is interested in getting the star on the car somewhere. Sorry, though, I don't remember where. I'm sure they would like their name hooked to someone besides McLaren at this point.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Mercedes is not looking that great with regards to the McLaren this year so they would be smart to play up the performance of the lunk in the Brawn.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »

A little inside information here, most model car manufacturers are preparing for a mid season change to the Brawn F1 cars. Perhaps indicating a major new sponsor??

Now that is what I call a scoop of spot on intelligence Wiz - thanks mate
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
I've got just the sponsor for them.

How does Brawny Brawn GP sound?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle