collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 495
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Motor Racing Things I Must Do Before I Die....  (Read 4568 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Motor Racing Things I Must Do Before I Die....
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
Understand the attraction of NASCAR... I've tried, really I have.

It used to be far, far better than it is now. I grew up a huge fan of NASCAR. Like many other NASCAR fans, they finally drove me away a few years go.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
Everything about it should be brilliant, brutal cars, good drivers etc, but for some reason it cannot grab me.  What was it that put you off?  The Car of Tomorrow, or other stuff?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 02:44:04 PM »
Everything about it should be brilliant, brutal cars, good drivers etc, but for some reason it cannot grab me.  What was it that put you off?  The Car of Tomorrow, or other stuff?

For me, it's the driving in circles every week which just gets tedious.

Also, the constant yellow flags.  It makes the first 300 laps meaningless when the leaders are allowed to get fresh tires and fuel and restart bumper to bumper with 3 laps to go.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »

The spec-racer Car of 1965, I mean, Tomorrow, replacing some of their best tracks with boring Charlotte clones, restrictor plates, weekly rule changes, horrible Faux TV coverage, no Ford cammers or Dodge Hemis, I could go on and on.

For me, the straw that broke the camel's back was when they did away with their showcase race, The Southern 500. Dating back to 1950, it was the Monaco, the Le Mans, the Indy 500 of stock car racing. A few years ago, NASCAR did away with it and moved the Labor Day week-end race from Darlington to the boring Charlotte clone at Los Angeles. That race has already failed, and will move to Atlanta this year.

NASCAR is now the only major racing series in the world where the technology of the race cars lags far behind everyday street cars.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 07:51:13 PM »
It is strange how it seems to remain so popular in the States.  I must admit I know very little about NASCAR but began to follow it a bit more closely with JPM and JV making moves there.  The bumper to bumper racing appeals but it just never grabbed me.  Now to hear the problems mentioned, it baffles me why people sometimes suggest F1 should be a bit more like NASCAR. 

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 08:00:05 PM »
It is strange how it seems to remain so popular in the States.  I must admit I know very little about NASCAR but began to follow it a bit more closely with JPM and JV making moves there.  The bumper to bumper racing appeals but it just never grabbed me.  Now to hear the problems mentioned, it baffles me why people sometimes suggest F1 should be a bit more like NASCAR. 

It's more fan friendly.The team merchandise in both NASCAR and
IRL are much cheaper than F1.And watching Nascar races and
practice online is so much easier ,try watching anything F1 online
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
There's a half mile oval track up in Columbus. Nothing fancy, it's been there since the late 1940's. It currently hosts NASCAR weekly series races.

http://www.columbusspeedway.com/asp/2009/default.asp

Every season, during an off-week for the Cup, several Cup drivers show up to race there, meet the fans and sign autographs. Can you imagine that happening in F1?
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »
I have managed to get to one NASCAR meeting in Winston Salem (1997) and one INDY race in Florida a little more recently.
I was so impressed how the whole day was a feast of entertainment and how the tracks make the events family friendly. I was also amazed by the number of spectators; well over 100,000!
I wasn't expecting to enjoy NASCAR but, when you are so close to the track, you feel, hear and smell the racing as much as watch it!
The INDY racing wasn't as spectacular and it got really confusing when they seemed to throw 'yellows' for no obvious reason and when you thought you had a real race on, cars disappeared into the pits. However, these were on my list of things to do and I'm really glad I did them.
One more 'must do' is go to an American drag race meeting. I love Santa Pod but the Top Fuel and Funny cars in the USA are consistently running 0.5seconds faster plus there are more cars at each meeting. I would love to see a few side by side sub-5second runs.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »
Every year I go to the NHRA nationals at Phoenix. You have no idea of what fan friendly means until you've been to an NHRA meet. John Force, the biggest name going spends hours at the edge of his paddock stall signing anything you hand him, having actual, if brief, conversations with people, and generally entertaining anyone in earshot. The other drivers are equally friendly. We waved at Brandon Bernstein while he was driving a golf cart through the Midway and he stopped and signed our hats and actually talked to us a few moments. Tony Schumacher spent several minutes in the parking lot talking to us about a '32 coupe we were all admiring. The best part is being near the start line when a Nitro car leaves. Not only is it incredibly loud, it really does shake the ground. You feel it right up through your shoes (nobody sits down when a nitro car runs), and in your chest like a loud bass. I love it.

I would like to attend the Brian Redman historics at Road America.
The Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca.
The Indy 500.
Sebring.
The Daytona 24.
Dream of Dreams: Monaco, first class.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »
John Force, the biggest name going spends hours at the edge of his paddock stall signing anything you hand him, having actual, if brief, conversations with people, and generally entertaining anyone in earshot.

I really must get over there. However, I won't be queuing to talk to John Force because I will be too busy trying to talk to his daughters! (I really am starting to sound like a dirty old man. Don't get me wrong...I have always been dirty but I hate being old!)
I meant that I would really like to talk to young women that have the skill and the courage to run Funny cars down the quarter in less than 5seconds and at around 300mph!

Offline Monty

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »
Hey Jeri
While admitting that I'm a dirty, less than young man, I should comment on your photo's.
If we were geographically closer I would use one of my better chat-up lines such as "Hello pit babe, get your coat, you've pulled"  ;)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »
Sebring is always a good time. Every ticket is a pit pass. Both the 12 Hours and the Historics are worth the trip.

If you go to the 12 Hours, be sure to make it out to the Green Park camping area inside of Turn 7. It's one huge party for the entire week-end!

The Cleveland Indians used to have their Spring Training Camp near Sebring at the same time as the 12 Hours, so I could do both at once.  :yahoo:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
Sebring is always a good time. Every ticket is a pit pass. Both the 12 Hours and the Historics are worth the trip.

If you go to the 12 Hours, be sure to make it out to the Green Park camping area inside of Turn 7. It's one huge party for the entire week-end!

The Cleveland Indians used to have their Spring Training Camp near Sebring at the same time as the 12 Hours, so I could do both at once.  :yahoo:

I know people make a big deal of going to a baseball game in every major league stadium.  (I've done 6 different myself - and 7 NHL arenas)  Do people make a big deal about going to each Grand Prix venue?

I know I'd love to!

Offline Willy

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 02:41:44 AM »
I would love to own all the cars I mentioned on another thread.

Attend Goodwood (all events).

Drive the old Nurburgring in a 1967 Lotus F1 car.

Attend Monaco GP at a cafe trackside table (with some ear protection and lots of beverages). damn I'm gettting old!

Attend the 24hrs of Lemans

Attend as many F1 races as I want.

More to follow....

Offline Dare

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »
I would love to own all the cars I mentioned on another thread.

Attend Goodwood (all events).

Drive the old Nurburgring in a 1967 Lotus F1 car.

Attend Monaco GP at a cafe trackside table (with some ear protection and lots of beverages). damn I'm gettting old!

Attend the 24hrs of Lemans

Attend as many F1 races as I want.

Get Grand Prix Legends Willie.You can drive the old Nurburgring
in a 67 Lotus[a Eagle too]it's only a pc game but it's the next best thing.
You can buy the game for around $10 US and ask the Wiz it's not as
easy as it looks

More to follow....

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle