collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 220
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11291 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Teams want 'independent' new FIA President  (Read 1119 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Teams want 'independent' new FIA President
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:16:46 PM »

So Max's little joke is to endorse Todt, a figure guaranteed to put the cat amongst the pigeons. October can't come soon enough to put an end to his crazy ways.

Former Ferrari boss an unlikley favourite amongst the teams

The Formula One Teams' Association on Thursday seemed to object to speculation that Jean Todt, the former Ferrari team boss, is first in line to succeed Max Mosley as FIA President.

With the teams having dispensed with the controversial 69-year-old Briton, rumours indicate that Frenchman Todt, a divisive figure who was as unpopular as he was successful in the Michael Schumacher era, will receive Mosley's personal endorsement to assume the role late this year.

But at a meeting of the teams association in Bologna, FOTA Vice-Chairman and Toyota President John Howett said: "We would like to see someone independent, perhaps independent from any of us, either currently or historically. It would mean a much better balance."

FIA Presidents are elected by the Paris federation's 122 member clubs, not the F1 teams. 

Mosley doubts his successor, whoever he is, will be ‘more to their’ liking than he ultimately was, but is now looking forward to returning from his Monaco base to his wife in London for a calmer life.

One of his first projects will be his memoirs. "They will have plenty of very funny and explosive stories in them," the Briton promised.

FOTA, meanwhile, said on Thursday that its next step, after the regulatory battle with FIA, is a new commercial agreement with Bernie Ecclestone.

© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Teams want 'independent' new FIA President
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
If I'm a voting member of the FIA (which I'm not, FYI), I'm going to try to get past the Mosley era.  Anyone Mosley endorses would be someone not to vote for.

I think this whole chapter has shown that FOTA needs to have more responsibility for F1.  Having anyone not to FOTA's liking is just going to ask for the same disaster every time contracts come due.  At the end of the day, the constructors are the sport, and the FIA must recongise that.

Of course, this is the same FIA that figured Max was portraying the public image they wanted for the FIA last year, so who knows what's going to happen.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:58 AM »
If I'm a voting member of the FIA (which I'm not, FYI), I'm going to try to get past the Mosley era.  Anyone Mosley endorses would be someone not to vote for.

I think this whole chapter has shown that FOTA needs to have more responsibility for F1.  Having anyone not to FOTA's liking is just going to ask for the same disaster every time contracts come due.  At the end of the day, the constructors are the sport, and the FIA must recongise that.

Of course, this is the same FIA that figured Max was portraying the public image they wanted for the FIA last year, so who knows what's going to happen.

exactly Jeri, but please go to my post about Max recanting already to read the latest as set out in the PitPass.com article:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=38308

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »

exactly Jeri, but please go to my post about Max recanting already to read the latest as set out in the PitPass.com article:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=38308

Then it's time for the other candidates to throw their hats into the ring before Max can build a base.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:59:16 PM »
So far, FOTA seems to have thought things out well in advance. It will be interesting to see if they already have someone in mind to head the FIA.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
So far, FOTA seems to have thought things out well in advance. It will be interesting to see if they already have someone in mind to head the FIA.

Last year's vote proves there are a lot of FIA delegates in Max's pocket.  It's going to take time for someone to unseat him.  If FOTA has someone in mind, they're running out of time to put him forward.

I'll admit I'm not versed enough to know who would be good, but here's my guess at a short list:

Jackie Stewart (He's done it all)
Eddie Jordan (Just from rumours about 5 years ago that he was being groomed to take over)
Ron Dennis (Just to spite Max - is there a better reason?!)
Paul Tagliabue (The guy made the American NFL into one of the biggest sports in the world)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »
I like your list, Jeri, except for Tagliabue. His predecessor, the late Pete Rozell was the one most responsible for the NFL's rise.

I'd add:

Tony George (1. He's got the fans at heart and 2. Bernie hates him.)

Paul Stoddart (See 2 above)

Giancarlo Minardi (Experienced, and he's well liked in the F1 community)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

david1275

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
I like the Paul Stoddart suggestion Cos.

Jean Todt would be good at the job, I feel as he is a natural leader, but he surely is not the right man for the position at this time. The same could be said for Ron Dennis.

Offline Chameleon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
As long as we're making suggestions for presidential candidates for the FIA, it is worth pointing out that most of the names most frequently mentioned are non-starters.  The FIA delegates nominate the candidates and then vote - and they are just not going to look at people outside the FIA because they don't know them.  Max will suggest Todt, of course, but it is extremely unlikely that the delegates will consider anyone else who is not already within the FIA structure.

The man with the best chance of nomination is the Deputy President, Nick Craw, and he would be a good candidate were it not for two considerations:  he is rumoured to be a Mosley man and he is even older than Max.  I take the first as dubious, since everyone in the FIA has to appear pro-Mosley at the moment, but the second is a telling point.  Michel Boeri, too is ancient and so not a serious possibility.

Personally, I think the best candidate would be Alex Wurz, with youth, extensive knowledge of both motor racing and motoring organisations, honesty and sheer lovability on his side, but the chances of his being nominated are about the same as yours or mine.  Such is the way of the real world - if you wish to find the true king, look for the guy who least wishes to be king.  Just ain't gonna happen...
Never mind me - read http://f1insight.madtv.me.uk/ :D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
Todt is a natural leader, but, as you say, not at this time. It would just feed into the perception of the FIA's favoritism toward Ferrari.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle