collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 623
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is desastor bound for spa?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Is desastor bound for spa?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
The BBC TV commentary said that McLaren's upgrades in Germany were the final batch for 2009. I think they've given up on this car.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 01:12:15 AM »
The BBC TV commentary said that McLaren's upgrades in Germany were the final batch for 2009. I think they've given up on this car.

Um... so what is McLaren doing?

Not developing this car, but without a set of rules for next year, what are they working on?

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:09 PM »
Jericoke, I guess McLaren are going to guess. When it comes to figuring out the point of their guessing, your guess is as good as mine.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 07:04:22 PM »

Not developing this car, but without a set of rules for next year, what are they working on?

If Formula one stays intact it will be 2009 rules for 2010 surely, isn't that what FOTA has proposed and been fighting for?

The only difference may be no refuelling, so a bigger tank may be needed.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »
The trouble is that Max's behaviour means that McLaren can't depend on those rules being in place for 2010 and if the breakaway occurs, there's no guarantee that the 2009 rules will be used.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 11:21:34 AM »

If Formula one stays intact it will be 2009 rules for 2010 surely, isn't that what FOTA has proposed and been fighting for?

The only difference may be no refuelling, so a bigger tank may be needed.

yeah John - and better drivers i.e. those who can alter their style during the race to manage the increased tyre wear

who do ya think will have difficulty doing that?

"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »
I think all the hard chargers will find it difficult to adjust, so I guess Lewis, Kubica, Massa, Kimi and even Vettel may struggle to hold back.

I also think this no re-fuelling rule will give some of the cars a hard time, currently Ferrari, BMW and Toyota would be my choice for problems.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 01:30:43 AM »
There will still be plenty of pitstops for tire changes. Tire management will be important, but no more so than now I think.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »

With no refueling does anyone know what will happen in final qualifying next year, will they have to run on full tanks or will we be back to the absolute fastest car on low fuel takes pole?  :DntKnw:

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
I think the plan is for final qualifying to be on empty tanks, but nothing is set in stone.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
I think the plan is for final qualifying to be on empty tanks, but nothing is set in stone.

As a question of safety... the lighter cars are easier to control, but gasoline fumes are more dangerous than liquid gasoline, i.e., a full gas tank is actually safer than one that is near empty.

The cars will continue to use fuel strategies... different weather, track conditions and tire allotments will lead to different projections on gasoline used.  Teams will put in the very least fuel possible.  If they make cars qualify on racing fuel loads, it will change the strategy that much more:  a car at the front without anyone to pass will use less gas!  Thus a gamble to run a light car in qualifying can pay off on race day.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »

With no refueling does anyone know what will happen in final qualifying next year, will they have to run on full tanks or will we be back to the absolute fastest car on low fuel takes pole?  :DntKnw:

Oh! I hope so!!! :yahoo: :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »

As a question of safety... the lighter cars are easier to control, but gasoline fumes are more dangerous than liquid gasoline, i.e., a full gas tank is actually safer than one that is near empty.

With the fuel tank technology they use these days, fires in accidents are extremely rare, full tank or empty.  The only fires I can remember in recent years were during refuelling.

The cars will continue to use fuel strategies... different weather, track conditions and tire allotments will lead to different projections on gasoline used.  Teams will put in the very least fuel possible.  If they make cars qualify on racing fuel loads, it will change the strategy that much more:  a car at the front without anyone to pass will use less gas!  Thus a gamble to run a light car in qualifying can pay off on race day.

I can't see much in fuel strategy taking place, unless teams are banking on a certain number of safety car laps per race, and if they cut it that close, they will risk running out of fuel before the end of the race if it is a clean race.  Plus being at the front could actually mean you use more fuel since the driver is going all out at full rpm's while someone stuck behind a slower car could actually use less.  But again, I think you might be talking about a lap difference at the most.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 01:47:08 PM »
There will still be plenty of pitstops for tire changes. Tire management will be important, but no more so than now I think.

Lonny

The weight of the car will affect tire wear.  If Bridgestone sticks to the current 2 compound rule, there will be far less variety in tire strategy:  everyone will start on the hard compound.

I'm going to wager that some designers might try to create a car that can run an entire race on the harder compound, or at the very least keep the car competitive until the last 20 laps, and sprint on the softs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle