collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Toro Rosso budget is 'half' of Red Bull's  (Read 4124 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Toro Rosso budget is 'half' of Red Bull's
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »

This explains perhaps why the two Seb's are making little progress up the grid in the STR's. I think this is a perfect example of how cost capped teams would find life tough to develop cars throughout the season.

As the media contemplates the opposing fortunes of the two Red Bull teams, Toro Rosso's boss has revealed that the Faenza-based outfit operates with a budget about half that of Grand Prix-winning Red Bull Racing.

Asked by Switzerland's Blick to comment upon Toro Rosso's budget in comparison with the approximately 200m Euros spend of the parent team, Franz Tost answered: "Let's say it's half."

The contrast between the pair, who have moved further apart this year in readiness for next year's ban on customer cars, was never starker than at Silverstone, where Sebastian Vettel won while the similar-looking STR4s battled with the backmarkers. 

While Tost is for now holding off fitting a double diffuser because it will cost 500,000 Euros, Adrian Newey's British GP update for the RB5 amounted to about 2 million, another Swiss publication, Motorsport Aktuell, said.

Tost said his Faenza office receives all technical drawings from Newey's Red Bull Technology, but "first we need to know if they work (on the) Red Bull."

An initial double diffuser will be fitted to the STR4 in Hungary, while Red Bull Racing race ahead with the third generation of the rear aerodynamic concept.

© CAPSIS International

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Toro Rosso budget is 'half' of Red Bull's
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
I can't help but think that the biggest cause for the disparity between RBR and STR isn't that RBR has a much better car. They have a much better Sebastian.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
I have to say that I'm a little surprised Red Bull was allowed to continue to have two teams when F1 is actually turning away applications.

It just strikes me as a little against the spirit of the sport when you are setting up one team to win and one team to lose.  Of course, it's an odd argument, seeing as STR had a better season last year than RBR

david1275

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
I have to say that I'm a little surprised Red Bull was allowed to continue to have two teams when F1 is actually turning away applications.

It just strikes me as a little against the spirit of the sport when you are setting up one team to win and one team to lose.  Of course, it's an odd argument, seeing as STR had a better season last year than RBR

I have to agree with you here Jeri. I think a team who were out to try to win rather than being designed to be a runner up would be better for the sport. Give Lola or Prodrive a chance.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
There has always been on again / off again talk that STR would be sold. I'd like to see the old Minardi live on under independent ownership.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:34 PM »
I think STR can be bought, but no one is prepared to pay the asking price. Dieter has invested a great deal of money, albeit much less than in RBR, and to expect him to sell the STR team off cheap is unreasonable.

New entrants can now get a team up and running far cheaper than was possible when Red Bull bought into the old Minardi team with the blessing, and possibly encouragement, of the FIA and FOM. Would anyone of us take a hit of the sort of sum Red Bull will lose if they are forced to unload STR at any price?
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 01:06:36 AM »
I think STR can be bought, but no one is prepared to pay the asking price. Dieter has invested a great deal of money, albeit much less than in RBR, and to expect him to sell the STR team off cheap is unreasonable.

New entrants can now get a team up and running far cheaper than was possible when Red Bull bought into the old Minardi team with the blessing, and possibly encouragement, of the FIA and FOM. Would anyone of us take a hit of the sort of sum Red Bull will lose if they are forced to unload STR at any price?

It would be hard to attract new money to the sport if the FIA were to screw Dieter over like that.  He certainly did step up when F1 needed him.

Maybe he can run the FIA ;-)

If the new teams are successful, that will certainly raise the value of STR, and it will be easier to find a fair solution.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle