collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 627
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fiat 500 Comes to the USA  (Read 2669 times)

Online cosworth151

Fiat 500 Comes to the USA
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
Chrysler will build and sell the Fiat 500 in the US starting in 2011. It will be available in hatchback, convertible, station wagon and Abarth hatchback versions.

The cars will be sold as Fiats. There are currently no plans for other Fiat-badged models in the U.S.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Fiat 500 Comes to the USA
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:02:49 AM »
I think FIAT would be wise to replace most of Chrysler's line with their cars. Apart from the 300, Chrysler doesn't have much worth saving. Rumor is that the dealer network interests FIAT in importing ALFA's :yahoo: and maybe Lancias in the US.

Lonny
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02:19 PM »
The Challenge is quite good. It's not up there with Mustang, but it's got Camaro beat hands down.

I've had Dodge Calipers for rentals when traveling. It was fine for a small car. The Ram pickup isn't bad, either.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »
The Challenge is quite good. It's not up there with Mustang, but it's got Camaro beat hands down.

I've had Dodge Calipers for rentals when traveling. It was fine for a small car. The Ram pickup isn't bad, either.

The minivans are still top sellers in Canada.  Other companies are getting out of the minivan business because they couldn't compete with the Dodge Caravan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:58:51 AM »
Sorry I was referring only to the car line-up. The minivans and pick-ups are very good, in fact if I was buying a truck I would strongly consider the Ram. But they have nothing to compete in the Camry/Accord class where the biggest sales are. FIAT and ALFA both have some strong entries in that class and should consider importing them or building them here asap.

Lonny
Lonny

david1275

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
I think the Fiat 500 is a great little car, however you would want to argue with a Audi Q7. Scary stuff.  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pVF1Wr7GLQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Eco%2Euk%2Fvideosearch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Daston%2520cygnet%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF%2D8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwv&feature=player_embedded

Damm that's a scary vid. I was actually looking at a Fait 500 for the wife but there is no room in the back of them. I think I will stick to the Q7, eh Wiz!!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:23:24 PM »
I think the Fiat 500 is a great little car, however you would want to argue with a Audi Q7. Scary stuff.  :(

The Q7 is dwarfed by a great many vehicles on North American high ways.

Based on that video, I'm not convinced the Fiat will pass American crash tests and be allowed for sale.

I know that Ford was totally screwed a decade ago when the Mondeo was supposed to be sold in America, but failed crash tests.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »
If the 500 passed the latest EU tests it is likely it would pass US tests as they are similar. The US has tougher bumper standards so the 500 bumpers might have to grow a bit. I would like to hold out for a MITO, though the 500 Abarth sounds cool. I understood the 500 is the only model currently on line for the US. The whole deal is not yet finalised so anything may happen.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »
If the 500 passed the latest EU tests it is likely it would pass US tests as they are similar. The US has tougher bumper standards so the 500 bumpers might have to grow a bit. I would like to hold out for a MITO, though the 500 Abarth sounds cool. I understood the 500 is the only model currently on line for the US. The whole deal is not yet finalised so anything may happen.

Lonny

It must drive car execs bonkers to have so many different regulations and 'standards' across the world!

Now that the American car companies have closed the gap on quality, will the future be 'safety' or 'fuel economy'? 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
On re-running the video several times I think the Fiat safety cell has stayed pretty much intact particularly when you look at the in car shots.  The drivers side front wheel and other parts of the Audi move a long way back leaving some of the front of the 500 under the front of the Q7.  

In test terms they may well consider this crash survivable for the 500 occupants as the safety cell has come through largely undistorted. To us looking at the crash it seems horrendous but with nothing to compare this test crash to makes objective evaluation difficult, the crash speed is not given but it looks higher than 30mph and this is a factor also in how this is crash is interpreted.

I remember seeing an F1 shunt by Kubica, losing the BMW at Indy I think, in the last couple of years when so much damage and impact occurred that almost the entire car was destroyed.  I can recall thinking at the time that he could not possibly survive, he survived with very little injury in fact.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 08:48:34 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
I remember that too, John. It was at Montreal in 2007. I saw Kubica 5 days later at Indy. He was just fine and wanted to race that week-end. Professor Sid wouldn't clear him because of possible head injuries. That opening gave Vettel his first start (and his first points!)

I agree about the video, too. The front structure of the 500 is well and truly destroyed, but the passenger compartment appears to survive intact.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »
I remember that too, John. It was at Montreal in 2007. I saw Kubica 5 days later at Indy. He was just fine and wanted to race that week-end. Professor Sid wouldn't clear him because of possible head injuries. That opening gave Vettel his first start (and his first points!)

I agree about the video, too. The front structure of the 500 is well and truly destroyed, but the passenger compartment appears to survive intact.

That's the crash that turned Kubica from an also ran into a star.  Once he realised that a mistake wouldn't kill him, he started to take the risks needed to win.

I guess a video isn't the best way to evaluate a car... we'd need the data from the crash dummies to evaluate it.  However, from a marketting point of view... it'll be a tough sell to Americans to get into a car that small on a road with Toyota Sequioas.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 05:57:53 PM »
Breaking news! Fiat upgrade 500 to pass rigorous U.S. crash tests.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Online cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »
Much the same way that the Fiat-based Yugo passed the tests.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle