collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 342
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Barrichello's future at Brawn already in doubt  (Read 6132 times)

Offline Dare

Barrichello's future at Brawn already in doubt
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
Rubens should remember how fortunate he was to even have a ride
this year and put a sock in it

Sunday 12th July 2009   PlanetF1

Team bosses past and present have questioned whether Rubens Barrichello will continue as a Brawn driver after his astonishing outburst against the team following the German GP.

As they dissected the Barrichello rant in the BBC studio, both Sir Frank Williams and Eddie Jordan offered strong criticism of the Brazilian.

"I thought it was just appalling," declared Jordan, who was Barrichello's team boss during his active days in F1. "He has brought the team into disrepute. It is a very sad situation."

Williams' words were, unsurprisingly given his position in the sport, more measured, but he described Barrichello's criticism of Brawn as "a red-card job".

Pressed on whether he would dismiss Barrichello if the veteran was his driver, Williams replied: "I would swallow my pride and try to make it up. But it couldn't be tolerated again."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Barrichello's future at Brawn already in doubt
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »

I think poor old Rubens sees conspiracy where there is none, but his outburst is unforgivable.

Other teams have made much bigger mistakes on stategy, if that is what this is, on a regular basis this season; so sh*t happens and Rubens needs to get a grip.

I don't think the strategy was wrong seeing how the Brawns ate through their tyres and they had a fuel rig problem as well. Rubens failed to make headway in his 2nd & 3rd stints so he is as much to blame for the lower points finish. Jens just seems to be able to put in that little bit extra when it is critical and thats why he is out in front in the WDC. All in all I think 5th and 6th is the best they could have got today.

Team bosses understand the hot headed reactions from young inexperienced drivers, or close WDC contenders, over this sort of thing but with his maturity Rubens should know better.

He will probably see the season out with Brawn but after this he can expect the whole team to unite around Jens to make sure he becomes WDC. Rubens has probably made sure that what he is complaining about will now come to be his regular treatment.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:44:40 PM »

Team bosses understand the hot headed reactions from young inexperienced drivers, or close WDC contenders, over this sort of thing but with his maturity Rubens should know better.

I suppose Rubens has been one of the more immature drivers 'post race' during his entire career.  At Ferrari he certainly had a contract that forbid him from nay-saying the team (I think both he and Schumi did, and had their comments analyzed by that pretty blonde always holding the voice recorder beside them during interviews), but ever since leaving Ferrari he has been one of the whiniest drivers on the grid whenever the slightest thing didn't go his way.  

Ross has shown that he has far more class than Rubens by not simply dismissing him as a whiner and outright declaring that they will not be having any negotiations with him this year for any further contracts...however like you, I agree that he may well be thinking that privately.

When I saw Button warming his tires while keeping up to Rubens just before Rubens last pit stop, I was chuckling to my buddy that Rubens is going to be really p*ssed when Button passes him during the pit stops...and sure enough, he was.  Poor Ruby.  Now go and retire...or better yet, quite next race and let them throw the Ant in there as tail gunner.  He'll appreciate everything the team does for him, unlike Barrichello.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:51:23 PM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:25 AM »
I'm sure Rubens will land at a new team.

Who wouldn't want a GP winner at a discount rate?

As for any unfortunate outbursts, those will be seen as 'any press is good press' by a last place team.

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:52 AM »
Time for Rubens to slip quietly back to Brazil and teach karting to the kids.
Ross will drop him at the end of the season for sure and I doubt he will get a seat next year.

FW14B

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:43:48 AM »
Rubens' outbursts were a bit embarrassing, but I guess it is somewhat inevitable he feels paranoid given his Ferrari years.  It is all just a bit unfortunate.  His team made a mistake (although I can think of more serious mistakes by other teams made this season- my lot especially have had a fair few c*ck-ups) but once again he seemed to lack pace when he needed it whereas Button would put down the big laps when it counted. 

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:00:43 AM »
There is absolutely no excuse for Rubens. Even in minor teams there is a golden rule, never blame the team in public.
I have always liked Rubens but I honestly believe he should be fired for this outburst. I'm out of touch with who the current Brawn test driver is, but they could put the test driver or any one from a list of aspiring young talent or indeed some old hands like Davidson in that car as a clear number 2 to Button and still have a good chance of getting the Constructors championship.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »
There is absolutely no excuse for Rubens. Even in minor teams there is a golden rule, never blame the team in public.
I have always liked Rubens but I honestly believe he should be fired for this outburst. I'm out of touch with who the current Brawn test driver is, but they could put the test driver or any one from a list of aspiring young talent or indeed some old hands like Davidson in that car as a clear number 2 to Button and still have a good chance of getting the Constructors championship.
They don't have a test driver, but Ant is the official reserve driver, so they wouldn't even have to do up a contract.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:44 AM »

oh my:

"....bye bye blackb....Barrichello!"
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:34 PM »
Ant was there on the BBC with Eddie Jordan and David Coultard when they were talking with Sir Frank. I was waiting for a voice from off-camera to say, "Ant, phone call for you from Ross."

Sir Frank did say that Barrichello "sounds like a driver that doesn't have a ride next season."

One thing on Rubens' behalf: At that time, right after the race, I'm not sure he knew about the fuel rig failure. Right after the stop, he was on the radio saying that he thought that they had fueled him to the end of the race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
One thing on Rubens' behalf: At that time, right after the race, I'm not sure he knew about the fuel rig failure. Right after the stop, he was on the radio saying that he thought that they had fueled him to the end of the race.

Even so, he was being paid a lot of money to drive a very good car into the points. He should have kept his mouth shut or at the very least checked the facts first.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 11:24:44 PM »
I think Ross summed it all up in his own inimitable style when he informed Rubens that he had the 11th fastest lap time - not quite the pace to win G Ps.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline mrkjf

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:07 AM »
No excuse for the outburst in public,to overtake in Germany is a task in itself and i believe that Button was weeving to let Rubens that the team expect him to move over and it had nothing to do with keeping heat into the tyres,it wasnt the parade lap now was it.He couldnt pass Rubens on the track so the TEAM set him up on pit stop stratergy.
Mrkjf

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:51 AM »
Maybe while he was behind Rubens, Button thought it was almost like a parade lap.  I seriously think he was warming his tires for the upcoming two laps he had to put in to pass Rubens in the pits.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »

Most teamates who are holding the other guy up realise that they have to move over unless they will be giving away points from a leading position in the championship, it's a no brainer surely. Especially when there is a potential threat from cars behind catching and taking the both of them, it's a team game after all.

The only exceptions of course is when the team boss want's a particular driver to win to please the sponsors, Eddie Jordan favoured this style along with Ferrari and no doubt others.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle