collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 502
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Driver merrygoround speculation has started  (Read 2715 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Driver merrygoround speculation has started
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »

Looks like the rumour mill is going into overdrive about who will be where next year.

I fancy Rosberg to sign for Macca, Glock to join BMW and Heikki will end up at either Renault or joining Heidfeld, but not the same team, amongst the newbies.

Anyone else like to chance their arm on predictions?

Moving to Brawn GP is an option for Nico Rosberg in 2010, while the likes of Rubens Barrichello and Heikki Kovalainen have been in talks with Williams, according to F1-Live.com

With peace in sight in Formula One, there is finally some movement in the driver market as the German magazine Auto Motor und Sport reports.

German Rosberg, 24, is reportedly in talks with no fewer than four teams: his current employer Williams, as well as BMW and McLaren, while Ross Brawn has apparently also shown some interest.

Rosberg is quoted as confirming for the first time that BMW is "an option", while last weekend Mercedes' Norbert Haug said McLaren is interested in both the German as well as compatriot Sebastian Vettel. 

"Before we signed Heikki (for 2008) we spoke with both but they had contracts that we of course respected. For the future I don't want to exclude anything," Haug told the German newspaper Die Welt.

Rosberg told reporters at the Nurburgring: "I am looking at my options and cannot say anything more except that at the moment I am very happy here (at Williams)."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steven Roy

Re: Driver merrygoround speculation has started
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
McLaren offered Rosberg a lot of money to sign before they approached Kovalainen.  Keke Rosberg suggested it was a bad move because he used to own a karting team where Lewis and Nico were team mates and Lewis had th upper hand.  Rosberg's stock is not as high as it was then so I don't see McLaren rushing to sign him.

I think all that is happening now is that people are chucking all sorts of rumours around as they have no idea what is going to happen. We have had the Alonso to Ferrari rumours again which as Alonso himself has said have been going around for about 5 seasons now.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:59:27 PM »

You may well be right Steven about Nico not wanting to drive in the same team as Lewis, but I still think all those drivers will be moving, perhaps Glock will join Macca and Rosberg BMW.

Both these guys are prize assets for the bigger teams and BMW and Mercedes have stated their preference for a German in their teams, this can only happen with top drivers like Timo & Nico.

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
I just have this feeling I am going to end up depressed when looking at the 2010 Williams line-up.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
I just have this feeling I am going to end up depressed when looking at the 2010 Williams line-up.

Cheer up mate, you will probably end up with at least one Nico to keep the dream alive........ Hulkenburg of course.

david1275

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »
I would love to see Rosberg stay where he is, and for Williams to produce a car worthy of his massive talent. I would also rate him as highly as Lewis in an F1 car. As I have said before the Alonso to Ferrari thing is exciting, for me anyway.

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »

Cheer up mate, you will probably end up with at least one Nico to keep the dream alive........ Hulkenburg of course.

Ideally I'd have both Nicos in the car next year.  Hulkenberg would be a great option I feel as he is ironing out the faults in his driving this year.  The team were critical of him earlier this year though so I wonder if that will rule against him, would be a shame if that was the case.  My one hope is that the upturn of form by Williams this year will also see Rosberg stay, but I think he is set on a move to McLaren or BMW.

Out of interest, how is the contract situation with someone like Sutil?  Surely he is worth a shift up the grid now (although FIF1 looked quite good in Germany).

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »
I'll wait until the FIA makes its mind up which teams it's having before trying to figure out who's driving for them...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »
Why would Rosberg be anxious to jump to McLaren or BMW when their cars have been rubbish compared to the Williams? BMW hasn't even been able to produce much improvement, though Macca seems to finally be making some progress. If he doesn't get an offer from Red Bull or Brawn he should seriously think about staying put. I think Kubica would be high on most lists and eager to leave BMW for almost anywhere.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
Why would Rosberg be anxious to jump to McLaren or BMW when their cars have been rubbish compared to the Williams? BMW hasn't even been able to produce much improvement, though Macca seems to finally be making some progress. If he doesn't get an offer from Red Bull or Brawn he should seriously think about staying put. I think Kubica would be high on most lists and eager to leave BMW for almost anywhere.

Lonny

It's been a while since McLaren had two bad seasons in a row.  Not to mention they've shown great improvement this year.  I'd feel comfortable betting on McLaren to be competitive next year.

Besides, McLaren and BMW have deeper pockets.  If you're going to drive a car that doesn't win, why not make a few extra $$$ while you're at it?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
Rosberg has made it pretty clear he wants to drive a car that can win. I think most drivers on the grid would happily take a paycut to drive a winner. Of course we have seen at Brawn that having a winning car doesn't mean any driver can win with it.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
Rosberg has made it pretty clear he wants to drive a car that can win. I think most drivers on the grid would happily take a paycut to drive a winner. Of course we have seen at Brawn that having a winning car doesn't mean any driver can win with it.

Lonny

And yet the winning teams tend to pay their drivers the most, and the winning drivers are paid the most.

I'm just saying that if you're not lucky enough to get a winning car, might as well take the bigger contract.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »
A big contract won't keep you in the game if you don't get results, just ask Ralf Schumacher. F1 drivers seem to have expiration dates, no matter the size of your paycheck you need results or you're gone.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:44:11 PM »
A big contract won't keep you in the game if you don't get results, just ask Ralf Schumacher. F1 drivers seem to have expiration dates, no matter the size of your paycheck you need results or you're gone.

Lonny

If I have to choose between losing 40 F1 races and making $5 million, and losing 40 F1 races and making $20 million, it seems pretty obvious.

I'd certainly give up the $15 million to win a few races, but the fact is, even jumping to a competitive team doesn't guarantee wins.  Not many people would have picked Button and Vettel for leading the championship, nor Hamilton AND Kimi AND Alonso for scraping the bottom!

In other words, a good F1 driver gets maybe 10 years.  I would never begrudge them taking the money while they can!  They all want to win, but even Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn lost at Ferrari.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle