collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 339
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massa: Jaime is too young for F1  (Read 1462 times)

Online Dare

Massa: Jaime is too young for F1
« on: July 24, 2009, 01:29:28 AM »
I wonder why their putting him in this position in the first place

Thursday 23rd July 2009    Planet F1

Felipe Massa believes Jaime Alguersuari is not only too young for F1 but could also "burn himself" due to his lack of experience.

Alguersuari will become the youngest ever driver to compete in a F1 race when he lines up on the Hungarian grid this Sunday at just 19 years and 125 days.

The Spaniard faces a massive task as he has yet to put a F1 car through its paces around a track having only ever taken part in straightline testing.

But one person who believes it may be a bridge too far for the teenager is Ferrari's Massa.

"For me he's too young," the Brazilian said.

"When I came into Formula One I was just 20 and for me it was also quite young. I was too inexperienced to ask what I needed from the car so I made some mistakes. For sure I had a very difficult car to drive, but anyway, it was not easy for me.

"But even for myself, and I can say it was too early for me, I did the whole winter (of testing), so I did many tests in Formula One. He's never driven a Formula One car, or he has driven it in a straight line or whatever.

"For me it's wrong. It's not good for him. For me he can burn himself very quickly. Maybe he's an incredible talent and he will do much better than everybody thinks, but for me it's not good for him.

"I'm surprised a team would put a guy like this in the car. For me it's not right."

Massa, however, isn't the only driver who believes Alguersuari is too young.

"I started in F1 when I was 20 and I didn't have the mileage for a superlicence, the proper mileage," said Brawn GP's Jenson Button.

"But I did quite a bit of testing throughout the winter, and I was allowed to race because they thought it was enough and nobody else complained.

"If somebody gives you the opportunity to race in F1, you're going to take it.

"When someone says you've the drive, its difficult to turn around and say 'No, I'm not ready yet. I need more experience' because it is your dream to race in Formula One.

"But at his age it could absolutely destroy his career. It could end his dream of being competitive in Formula One.

"I don't know the reasons for him getting the drive. I can guess, but he's not going to help the team develop the car.

"I hope he does well. It's a make-or-break thing for his career. If it does go well, fantastic, but it's on a knife's edge isn't it?"

Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton admits that while he understands Alguersuari's desire to be in a F1 car, he fears the Spaniard's early debut could damage his career.

"All I can say is any driver in the world would jump at the chance to be in a F1 car.

"I can't look at it and say 'I wouldn't do it' because I would have done it, just the same, but fortunately I had people around me when I did come in.

"In 2006, when (Juan Pablo) Montoya left (McLaren), I was going to replace him at China, Japan and Brazil, and I'd only done straightline tests, but it would have been the worst move of my career.

"It took me eight days of strong, core testing before I felt really comfortable in the car and matching the pace of Pedro (de la Rosa) and starting to compete with the other guys.

"It takes confidence and a lot of preparation. If I hadn't have had that testing and I'd gone into China, who knows if I'd have got my drive the following year.

"For me, it wasn't a good idea, but he may prove us all wrong, and all the best to him."

Alguersuari, though, has dismissed the criticism, saying he's just going to do the best he can do this weekend while learning a great deal about F1 in the process.

"I'm relaxed. I know what I can do, what people can expect from me, and the most important thing is I know what I have to do.

"It's another car, another race in my career. At the end it's just one steering wheel and two pedals."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Massa: Jaime is too young for F1
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:11:52 AM »

I think it is unusual for so many drivers to express a negative opinion of Jaime getting into the STR car, I can't recall ever hearing such a concerted group saying exactly the same thing about a new driver.

The real problem is the in season testing ban so there is no programme for younger drivers to be able to get laps in an F1 car. Teams maybe allowed to run a test specifically for rookies, but even if they could they probably wouldn't as the youngsters won't add anything to the development of the car and a lower budget era means it's a waste of cash.

Well Jaime's debut gives us something else of interest to watch out for in Hungary, lets hope whatever happens there are no injuries.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

david1275

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 10:43:40 AM »
I have to be honest, I have made a few comments about young drivers in other threads without knowing the full story about Jamie. I had not realized that this kid hasn't driven an F1 car. Now I too am thinking is this the right thing?? If he has done no testing and is jumping into an F1 car for the first time on Friday morning at Hungry we are either going to see a disaster or pure genius. I hope it is the later and nobody gets hurt in the process.

Good Luck Jamie, you might need it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:58:25 PM by david1275 »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »
"It's another car, another race in my career. At the end it's just one steering wheel and two pedals."

I agree, Dave. The lad may be in for a big surprise when he stomps on either of those pedals for the first time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »

I agree, Dave. The lad may be in for a big surprise when he stomps on either of those pedals for the first time.

Oh how I long for the arrogance of youth!

As though just anyone can step into an F1 car.  All the same... if he can back up his comments, we might be in for a new personality in F1, and that would be welcome.  If not, I guess he'll just head to IndyCar.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
The irony of course, is that it is Massa saying it.  If there has ever been an example of someone getting in an F1 car too early, it was him. :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »
The irony of course, is that it is Massa saying it.  If there has ever been an example of someone getting in an F1 car too early, it was him. :fool:

He was a rocket at the start but look what he has blossomed in to, one of the best drivers in the sport. Can you tell I like him?? :D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle