collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should Ari give up now?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Monty

Should Ari give up now?
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
Extracts from the full letter to Ari Vatanen:-

I am writing in my capacity as Chairman of the FIA Foundation to express my concern at your reported remarks about Michelle Yeoh and the allegation that in some way we are funding Jean Todt's candidacy to be President of the FIA. A number of websites have included as quotes from you the following:

I appreciate that during the forthcoming election for the FIA Presidency there needs to be open and robust debate. However, I would ask that you do not again misrepresent the role of the FIA Foundation in this way.
Yours sincerely
Carlos Macaya
Chairman, FIA Foundation

The missing bits basically say:- blah, blah, blah.....

Isn't it amazing that the FIA have noticed '..a number of websites have included as quotes...' when they apparently never spot the tens of thousands of comments on web sites that condemn the way they have treated Maclaren, Hamilton, stewarding, budget capping, Max Mosley bringing the sport into disrepute, etc., etc.

They also produced this open letter to Ari without checking if he actually made the comments plus the letter doesn't really refute that Todt is campaigning while being funded by the FIA.

Mad Max is dead but are we about to get Mad Max 2?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:53:23 PM by monty »

Offline Scott

Re: Should Ari give up now?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
Pretty scary, and so right you are Monty.  What they left out of the letter is much more telling than what they put in it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »
I don't know who said what, but... if Ari is upset that Todt is working for the FIA, how is he supposed to gain support from other people working for the FIA?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »

Can't say I know much about the FIA Foundation, I shall have to look it up.

But if it is anything like the rest of the FIA it is obviously jobs and privilege for the chosen few who seek to keep power closed off amongst themselves. What price a democratic election for President? - Not blooming much I would have thought.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
Mosely will quit and Todt will be elected reinforcing the
saying"the more things change the more they stay the same"
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

Can't say I know much about the FIA Foundation, I shall have to look it up.

But if it is anything like the rest of the FIA it is obviously jobs and privilege for the chosen few who seek to keep power closed off amongst themselves. What price a democratic election for President? - Not blooming much I would have thought.

Is the FIA a democracy?  I understand that the president is chosen by a group of 'delegates', but I very much doubt the majority of delegates get their power via democracy.

The FIA is an old boys club, and it will remain an old boys club.  There's no reason for it to change.

Honestly, all this proves to me is that the FOTA doesn't need the FIA.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:55:11 AM »
Is the FIA a democracy?  I understand that the president is chosen by a group of 'delegates', but I very much doubt the majority of delegates get their power via democracy.
The FIA is a democracy in the same way that Zimbabwe is a democracy  :D

david1275

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
Democracy in the modern world is no more an art of deception for the greater part. Whether it is world, national or indeed even sporting politics. Where there's a back room elite or 'old boys club' then you can never hope for a truly democratic election, it the same all over.  >:D

I have a very high regard for Jean Todt for all he did for Ferrari. However, I would think in the world of motor sport he falls into the 'old boys club bracket, and for that reason he is not the man the FIA need for president, although he my be the man they want. Ari should not give up even if the isn't a chance of him winning he should remain as the voice of the people who love motorsport and not who merely profit from it. Hope my assessment of him is correct. :good:

Go Ari, keep 'er lit !! :yahoo:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:46:01 AM by david1275 »

Online cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
If I understand correctly, each member nation gets an equal vote. That means that Slobbobia and the Duchy of Grand Fenwick each get the same vote as the U.K., the U.S., Canada, etc.

So when someone offers to fly the Lord High Poobah of the Grand Fenwick Auto Club to Paris and put him up in a ritzy hotel for a few days (as long as he votes for the "right" candidate)........
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle