collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 426
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Massas crash  (Read 6522 times)

Offline mrkjf

Massas crash
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:38:07 PM »
Thank the lord Massa is ok,now its going to be the Brawn thats under investigation because of the suspention failure just like Sir Frank Williams was in that tragic year,just as it should be.The FIA want cost cutting but does all agree the more testing is the key to safety.

Mrkjf

Offline Scott

Re: Massas crash
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
Ok is relative - somehow I doubt he'll be racing tomorrow.

I completely disagree mrkjf.  I don't like to see anyone hurt in any sport, but if a spring falls off a car as it goes over a curb too hard or something, and it is by small chance bouncing down the track, and by tiny chance that it hits another car, and by an even tinier chance it actually injures another driver, means that the offending team (the one that lost the spring) gets investigated, penalized or charged with anything - then something is seriously wrong in the world of motorsports.  Better move on to track and field if you agree with that.

I couldn't guess at the odds of such a thing happening are, but I'd say they are certainly in the billions to one. 

Should it have happened?  No, but could anyone really have prevented it - or as you say could any amount of testing have prevented it?  No.  Should they just take all the small bits off the cars and have straight axles, no suspension, lose the mirrors, wings, brake ducts, onboard cameras, any other carbon-fibre bits, ban tear-offs from visors and basically have steel bathtubs with two axles and a bit of rope to steer (wait, the bolt might fall out that holds the 2x4 and the front wheels - forget steering)?  Hoo boy, wouldn't that be fun to watch!  Oh yeah, and since I first thought he hit a bird, that could be a danger too, so let's only have races inside controlled domes.

I hope Massa is OK, but I doubt even he thinks it is anything but a freak accident.  In '94, I think it is generally agreed that a steering column failed, which led to the accident.  The suspension broke in the impact (as it would have in most accidents of even todays F1 cars) and a piece of it killed Senna - again the chances of it happening or happening again are minute.  No amount of testing could have prevented it. 

You are big on testing, but I'm not so sure it would solve very many of the problems you refer to.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
It seems pretty serious  :(  I hope Felipe can recover fully from this.

Felipe Massa will miss tomorrow's Hungarian Grand Prix after his accident during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Massa was hit by debris - believed to be a spring from another car- flying from the track in the dying moments of Q2.

The Brazilian appeared to lose consciousness as his car careered into the tyre wall at high speed. Massa was first taken to the medical centre and then airlifted to a Budapest hospital, where he was stable and conscious.

Pictures taken after the accident showed that Massa's helmet had been seriously damaged by the hit and that he was even bleeding.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 05:36:43 PM »
"Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion.  These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care."

He will not be racing tomorrow.  Hopefully he recovers and quickly. 

I asked Cos about Ferrari's reserve driver in chat, but had to run before he responded...anyone know who their reserve driver is?  Is it Badoer?

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 05:47:11 PM »
Not sure who it is to be honest, either Badoer or Gene as both are listed on the F1 page as official test drivers. 

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
I was trying to look it up when I had to take a call (I'm at the office). I still haven't seen who Ferrari is going to start. I'm also not sure about the procedure for a replacement driver. Will he start from Massa's 10th position, from the back of the grid, or from the pits.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »
I'd think from the back or the pits...I think only Massa would be entitled to his 10th place Q, not Ferrari.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »
Is the reserve driver allowed?
I thought they had to take part in qualifying? :DntKnw:
I hope Massa has a speedy and full recovery. :good:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »
Now they are saying that Massa is in a life-threatening condition, that he is in a medically induced coma and that he may be awakened tomorrow.  Honestly, when I saw it, I thought he might not survive it.  Reports say that his helmet had a 'fist-sized' dent in it (which to me is a relief since I thought it went through his visor and I think would have been certainly fatal).  I hope he recovers completely.

FW14B

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
Stumbled across a photo of him on a football forum of all places... He did not look good.  And his helmet did look bad.  I wish I had not seen it.

david1275

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »
Felipe Massa is my favorite driver in F1, and the nicest man on the grid. I really really hope he is OK. He's due to be a dad for the first time in November, so I would say his poor wife is not having a good night tonight.

Don't think testing could have prevented this freak accident mrkjf, but I like your obvious concerns about driver safety, but it's motorsport and it will never be without risk. On the positive side, we rarely see a fatality in any motorsport now days, and safety is paramount.

Seen the photo of him on You Tube Williamsfan and the helmet does look bad as does his eye. I won't post the link as it would be in bad taste.

I wish Felipe a speedy recovery. Good luck wee man, my thoughts are with you and your family.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 11:47:56 PM by david1275 »

Offline romephius

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:09:30 AM »
All my best wishes to Massa, his family, friends and the entire motorsport world affected by this accident.  I'll hope for the speediest of full recovery's. 

Rom

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 02:02:33 AM »

.....I hope Massa is OK, but I doubt even he thinks it is anything but a freak accident.  In '94, I think it is generally agreed that a steering column failed, which led to the accident.  The suspension broke in the impact (as it would have in most accidents of even todays F1 cars) and a piece of it killed Senna - again the chances of it happening or happening again are minute.  No amount of testing could have prevented it..... 

You are big on testing, but I'm not so sure it would solve very many of the problems you refer to.

yeah Scotty, but after the Senna incident one of the changes made was the height of the tub was increased to stop the remote chance of a front wheel ever striking a driver's head again.

My point is suspension components falling off the Brawn car must be investigated to find out why that happened as it is very strange and when did ya last hear of that happening? Probably human error with some procedure overlooked or not carried out properly. 

Also spare a thought for poor ole ruebens, his paranoia about his team nobbling him must surely have increased exponentially

Best wishes to Felipe for a complete recovery - he was unlucky to be struck but so very lucky he was not instantly killed by the blow
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:05:21 AM »

Seen the photo of him on You Tube Williamsfan and the helmet does look bad as does his eye. I won't post the link as it would be in bad taste.

Having also seen the picture, I wish I had not as I only stumbled apon it, an inch or so higher and he would have told his thoughts on it.
I thought last weeks accident to poor Henry Surtees was a freak and did not expect to see another so soon.
Lets hope for some positive news today.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
Thank God Felipe survived this freak accident. He was operated on last night and is now in an induced coma in the AEK Hospital in Budapest. The operation was successful and he is likely to be woken today. Medics say he will be out of action for 2 months, although some have hinted he may not race again this season.

The part that hit Massa has been confirmed as a rear suspension spring Barrichello’s car. It bounced down the road for four seconds and hit Massa in the head when he was travelling at about 175mph. The spring weighs about a kilogramme and Button's springs have been replaced as a precaution.

Massa was briefly knocked unconscious and his feet went onto the brake and throttle simultaneously. The car data says that Massa applied 60bar of pressure to the brake, which is the equivalent of laying his foot on it gently, while the throttle was effectively jammed on!

Get well soon Felipe. 
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle