collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 380
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams opposes Schumacher's test  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Williams opposes Schumacher's test
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:15 AM »
THE SCHUMACHER SWERVE  . Michael Schumacher is probably the best F1 driver the world is ever going to see, as John said, it predates Michael by years. You don't get to be a 7 times WDC by giving someone space, you say that that space is mine and I'm having it. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
I have been trying to stay out of this but I just can't.
Yes Schumacher is a good driver, but he is a cheat. We are not talking about the odd 'swerve' ; Schumacher did this in almost every race to intimidate drivers and stop them passing him. It was the cold and calculated tactic of driving people off the road to win Championships that proved he was a cheat. He also knew he would get away with it due to the power Ferrari held over the FIA.
I hoped that he was gone for ever. The funny thing is that he will not have the same level of Ferrari / FIA protection this time and he will be surrounded by good drivers all chasing wins so he could be in for a bruising time himself.

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »
And what if Webber had knocked the Brawn into the fence and back out into the path of the assembled field bearing down on turn 1? Is a ballsy move worth destroying several F1 cars and possibly injuring a few drivers? Mark said he didn't know Rubens was there, he could have hit him much harder. I don't think I ever saw Clark or Hill swerve over on someone like that, and they were far better drivers than MS and sportsmen as well.

Lonny

I really don't think Webber did that on purpose - he thought he had space and moved into it.  Not really the same as the swerve Schumi was famous for.  First corner or start line accidents are the most common of all in F1, but you can't say that many or most of them have anything to do with a driver doing the pole position swerve.  Usually it's a few lines back where the jinking ends up taking someone's wing off and then all hell breaks loose.  Or someone overdrives the inside of turn one.  Those are the most common.  I could well be mistaken, but I cannot recall one time that Schumi actually took out another car with his swerve.  It's intimidating, but it only worked for him because other drivers were indimidated by him.  Intimidation is a big part of racing - plenty do it.  Look at virtually everyone who has raced in front of Rubens.  They know he is easily intimidated, so they all do it, and he is terrified to make on-track passes (and then whines about his pit crew blowing his race when he is counting on doing pit-stop passes).  If somone stood their ground and both cars went out, then perhaps Schumi would have been less likely to try it again.  Anyone who has raced has come up against intimidating drivers, and there are two ways to deal with them - get around them as soon as they make a small error so it doesn't matter, or make them pay by holding your line.  Few were fast enough to do the former, and few had the guts to do that latter.  As for him being a cheat - the FIA clarified that years ago.  One move is ok, a second sudden swerve (back to the racing line) was forbidden.  I don't look at that as cheating anyway.  In motorsports generally it is the teams that cheat.  The drivers can be unsportsmanlike, but not actually cheaters (although I would call the off-track passing moves of last year cases of the drivers cheating). 

Again, I have to clarify - I am no fan of Schumi, and for many of the same reasons you guys are.  But I don't think he got where he is simply by cheating or being in the best car the whole time (sometimes).  He is to me the most phenomenal driver of the time, and maybe all time.  I'd still like to see Vettel kick his butt.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
Mid-pack incidents during the start are almost inevitable, I'm talking about eliminating a deliberate move that could easily cause a very serious accident. The driver on pole has a built in advantage: he's slightly ahead of everyone and he's usually on the clean line. If that's not enough then maybe he doesn't deserve to lead. As for Rubens, he made a very good pass around the outside of Kimi (?) at Silverstone a few years back eventually winning that race. I don't think he intimidates that easily.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle