collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 138
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Toyota's F1 future not guaranteed  (Read 734 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Toyota's F1 future not guaranteed
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »

Well it appears that Toy may still abandon F1, unlike BMW they signed up to the concorde and next year so it is a bit easier to get someone else to takeover their team. Just when we thought it was all settled for the future two of the big ones step back, but who will want an expensive base in Germany?

Toyota's future in Formula 1 is not guaranteed, AUTOSPORT has learned, with the signing off of the team's 2010 budget by its parent car company being postponed until later this year.

Although the Japanese car manufacturer has signed the Concorde Agreement, which in theory commits it to F1 until the end of 2012, it has emerged that the team has not yet had its finances for next season officially signed off.

Toyota F1 president John Howett confirmed the delay to AUTOSPORT, and said that the worldwide economic downturn that has affected the car manufacturer meant there was now severe pressure to cut costs.

"We have submitted the budget and because of the economic situation, the Toyota group wants to wait for the full half year of the current financial year [before signing it off]," he said. "I am honestly expecting severe pressure on budget."

AUTOSPORT understands that there is a board meeting in Japan in the middle of November where 2010 budgets will be discussed - which means a firm decision on the F1 plans may have to wait until after the current season has finished.

That situation has prompted speculation in the Valencia paddock that Toyota chiefs could spring a surprise and opt to follow Honda and BMW in pulling out of Formula 1.

Such rumours have intensified with Toyota driver Jarno Trulli himself suggesting in Valencia that he thought another car maker could leave the sport

"In this economic crisis, nothing is sure," said Trulli, whose contract talks with Toyota for next year have stalled. "If you look back over the last year it is a disaster. Honda has pulled out, BMW has pulled out, and probably they will not be the only one.

"I think you can expect anything. Nothing is sure at the moment, because there are plenty of things which have happened, and from one day to another the situation changes."

He added: "You need to wait because no one knows what they can do for next year yet. Everyone has probably signed [the Concorde Agreement], I'm not really into it, but I personally think anything can happen."

Howett has, however, moved to play talk of Toyota quitting - although drew short of saying that anything was definite.

When asked if he felt the Toyota board's response to the budget request would be to cut the F1 programme totally, he said: "I don't believe so.

"We've signed [the Concorde Agreement] and we should be here for three years."

By Jonathan Noble and Dieter Rencken, Today, Autosport

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Toyota's F1 future not guaranteed
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
To paraphrase: Good bye, Toy. Don't let the door hit you in the diffuser on the way out!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:41:44 PM »
I at least hope that they will remain as an engine manufacturer, if anyone wants it, that is.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:37:52 AM »

the most incompetent team - considering their financial budget - I have ever seen. TOYOTA F1 is an utter embarassment and they should quit forthwith.

and GLOCK gets the fastest lap at VALENCIA because the team could not figure out the strategies to get him to the end of the race and call him in with a handful of laps to go.

here is my comment in another thread on this site.

Quote from: ScottyD on Today at 01:22:07 am
Sounds like Toy might not retain anyone.

exactly Scotty, and frankly who cares?

even FORCE INDIA are outperforming the incompetent TOYOTA F1 team - what a disaster to a BIG spender and player

the sooner they go and keep to their core business of making the world's best selling and most bullet-proof but boring FWD road cars the better!
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:59:10 PM »
We have discussed this before.
Toyota need to get out of Cologne and stop managing by committee.
They should team up with an independant with strong leadership (Williams, Pro-drive, even Force India) and preferably have a UK based factory. Then they would get a good return on thier investment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle