collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lotus and Sauber get 13th and 14(?) spots on the grid next year...  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Scott

Lotus and Sauber get 13th and 14(?) spots on the grid next year...
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:11:16 PM »
I have to say I am impressed that the FIA seems to be going to extreme lengths to get Sauber on the grid.  Giving them the fictitious 14th spot (or call it 'reserve spot' ) along with commencing 'urgent' talks with the other teams to allow for 28 cars next season is not typical of Max and his gang.  Congrats to Lotus.  Should we have a pool as to how many races Mike Gascoyne stays there for before he is fired by the money-minders?  I say 6.   ;)

From F1 Live:

The garage currently occupied by BMW Sauber will be replaced by a Malaysia-owned 'Lotus F1 Team' in 2010, Formula One's governing body the FIA announced on Tuesday morning.

However, the Paris federation also gave hope to the Hinwil-based team, who had also applied for the 13th and final 2010 entry in the wake of BMW's decision to quit the sport.

The FIA described Sauber's application as "impressive", but said Lotus had been selected for the definite 2010 entry because "there are still uncertainties" about the former team's future ownership.

Sauber has instead been awarded the "14th place" in the 2010 pitlane, even though at present the sporting regulations and Concorde Agreement allow a maximum of 13 teams.

But the 14th place entitles Sauber "to fill any vacancy that arises on the 2010 grid", and in the meantime the FIA will "urgently" commence talks with F1's existing teams about expanding the grid to 28 cars in time for next season.

Regarding Lotus, the FIA said a company called 1Malaysia F1 Team has won the 13th entry for a Norfolk-based and Cosworth-powered team to be headed by Tony Fernandes and technical director Mike Gascoyne.

Fernandes is currently chief executive of the Malaysian airline AirAsia, a sponsor of the Williams team. The FIA said that in future, Lotus F1 will be based at Sepang.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:23:53 PM by ScottyD »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Lotus and Sauber get 13th and 14(?) spots on the grid next year...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
a 14 car grid :good:now that's what
I'm talking about
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
Getting the teams to agree, unanimously, to reopening the Concorde?

I smell trouble!

Some of the smaller teams will be running into sposorship troubles.  I assume that Williams will be losing Air Asia to Lotus.  I don't know that there are sponsors banging down the doors to put their logos on 8 more cars.

Hopefully by including Spanish, American and Malaysian teams, they have opened up new sponsorship streams.

I can't wait to see 28 cars that are as tightly competitve as the 20 we have this year.

(Will this be an issue for garage space at any of the venues?  I know that Monte Carlo is a tight fit for the current 10 teams!)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »
I have a sneaky suspicion that this will resolve itself without the need to go to 14 teams.

Monaco simply can't fit 28 cars in the track or garages, but everywhere else should be fine. More or less.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »
I agree, Ali. I suspect that one or more of the newbies won't make the grid next spring.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:39:03 PM »
I've read where some believe USGP might be one
of the missing teams.Hope it's wrong :'(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:29:40 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
Yeah, what was with that?  Is Peter Windsor's project having troubles?

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »
Yeah, what was with that?  Is Peter Windsor's project having troubles?

don't know that was one of Bernie's rambling ons

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
I hope they make it too, Dare.

I think some of the rumors started when Peter Windsor did the post race press conf. at Monza.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
Yeah, I don't know how important his Speed contract is, but I would have guessed that he's got better things to do than commentate and interview at the moment. 

On the other hand, it isn't bad to have Speed paying his way following the circus and allowing him to have the pulse of F1 the season before he joins it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle