collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Flav and Symonds leave Renault  (Read 4960 times)

FW14B

Flav and Symonds leave Renault
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »
 :o 

From Autosport (but now everywhere):

Renault has announced that team boss Flavio Briatore and engineering chief Pat Symonds have parted company with the team and that it will "not dispute" the allegations of race-fixing when it appears before the World Motor Sport Council next week.

The team had been accused of asking driver Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in order to cause a safety car period that would work to his team-mate Fernando Alonso's advantage. The Spaniard went on to win the race.

"The ING Renault F1 Team will not dispute the recent allegations made by the FIA concerning the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix," said a statement from the team.

"It also wishes to state that its managing director, Flavio Briatore and its executive director of engineering, Pat Symonds, have left the team.

"Before attending the hearing before the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris on 21 September 2009, the team will not make any further comment."

Offline Dare

Re: Flav and Symonds leave Renault
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:04:06 PM »
I hate to hear this ,love or hate Flav he brings
a little flair to F1.

If you think about it how different is what Renault
did from letting a #1 driver win like other teams
have in the past
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
Wow...well I guess young Piquet has really gotten his revenge.  Sorry to see both go (mostly Symonds).  I have no idea who Renault will replace them with.  I would expect that RenaultF1 is soon up for sale as well.

If I was young Nelson, I'd be looking over my shoulder a lot.   >:D >:D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
If you think about it how different is what Renault
did from letting a #1 driver win like other teams
have in the past
I think it has to be realised that by crashing he was putting a large number of people at risk including himself, for once I have to agree with Mad Max!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8251027.stm

Letting your team mate past hurts only the spirit of the sport.
I think Piquet could be looking for a job outside of motorsport.

A sad day for F1 and motorsport in general as I'm sure there will be further repoccussion to this. :(
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
I'm sorry to see Symonds go. Hopefully, he will return soon.

I personally think F1 will be better off without Briatore. I have about the same opinion of him that Mario Theissen seems to have.

It's starting to look it was Piquet, Sr. that started the ball rolling on this. I wonder if he'll ever show his face at a race again?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
That is a shock.

I can't help but see this as an admission of guilt for Flavio and Symonds.  If they really were party to causing a crash, then I'm glad to see them gone.

Flavio is the person I most associate with F1 though.  He really did represent 'the glamour' that F1 is supposed to be famous for.  Bernie might hold the cheque book, but he's not glamourous.  Max might hold the reigns, but the less said about his idea of 'glamour' the better.  Luca, Brawn, Dennis, they're strong competitors, but none of them bring flair to the sport.

I guess it's up to Vijay and his diamond earrings now.

FW14B

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
I am genuinely shocked that both have resigned and that Renault are no longer contesting the charges.  I am not a legal guy but surely it is an admission of guilt from both parties and the team.  Either that or an acknowledgment that they cannot get out of this due to the Mad Max agenda.  I don't like Flav but he will be missed in F1 due to his eccentricities, Renault won't be the same without him.  I do like Pat and I think he always comes across very well and honest in interviews. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »
AutoWeek is now reporting that Symonds and Briatore were fired.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090916/F1/909169998
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »
I wonder how Renault will function the rest of the season?  Without Symonds calling strategy and directing the upgrades (hopefully they're already in the pipeline), and Flavio bringing the girls, what will become of Renault?  Seriously, unless this pleases the FIA not to give a massive fine, then I think Renault will quietly bow out at the end of the season.

Hopefully, like someone already said, Symonds will return next season with another team, but as much as I thought Flav was the life of the party, most agree that his management style leaves much to be desired (a screaming bully), and I never liked the fact that he was a driver manager, sometime engine supplier, and team principal all at the same time - it was way too many conflicts of interest.

The unanswered question is, was Alonzo also complicit?  Everyone in the chats on the internet question how he would have agreed to that fuel strategy unless it had also been explained to him.  He would never have simply agreed to it simply because they told him to do it and that 'everything would be fine'.  If he was complicit, I don't see why his head wouldn't be on the chopping block too.  Perhaps Flav or Symonds will spill the beans on that side of the story someday.  

It's a bitter pill to swallow to see that blackmail actually works.  Way to go family Piquet.   >:D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:52:09 PM by ScottyD »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
That is a shock.

I can't help but see this as an admission of guilt for Flavio and Symonds.  If they really were party to causing a crash, then I'm glad to see them gone.

I feel this is more about damage limitation than guilt, If the two guys are not working for you the WMSC cannot demand that they appear in front of them, they cannot assume individual guilt from the non appearance but they will obviously record a guilty plea from the team. 

I don't know if the WMSC can impose any sanction on Flav & Pat other than the prevention of them taking part in FIA governed motorsport for allowing race fixing whilst managing the Renault team.

Renault may well have come to some financial or other arrangement with the two so the team can make sure there is no massive punishment in the wings. If they went in to the hearing with a not guilty plea and were found responsible for the crash by the WMSC a possible year ban at least was on the cards. This way they can probably, if they wish, stay in the championship. 

Another scenario is that Renault just think they did it too! :o

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

It's a bitter pill to swallow to see that blackmail actually works.  Way to go family Piquet.   >:D

Presumably if blackmail worked, Piquet would still be driving.

Good on Flavio for not giving in to it.

I guess.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 07:08:08 PM »
I'm in Singapore for the GP I could step into the breech!! :DD
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

david1275

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
What a total shock. I am not the biggest fan of Flav but I agree he will be missed around the paddock. Pat Symonds will also be missed, he is a great tech man, but will probably turn up somewhere else.

If I were young Piquet I would be worried. Even though he has been offered immunity from punishment by the FIA for a full statement of events. With what looks like an admission of guilt from Renault, in my view the FIA should pursue him as he put others lives at risk with his actions. I don't believe that the fact that he my have been ordered to do what he done vindicates him. His ploy to gain revenge on his ex- employers has done serious damage to our sport and I hope we don't see his useless face in F1 again. I'm sure Max has a rye smile on his face today with Flavs downfall.

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 09:08:42 PM »
I find it unbelievable that a driver can be asked to crash, even more unbelievable is a driver agreeing to it, there are too many unknowns in a crash, anything can happen. Scotty, I hope Alonso was'nt party to it too as I have reversed my dislike of him.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

david1275

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:54:49 PM »
I hope Alonso was'nt party to it too as I have reversed my dislike of him.

I agree Ian, I too had a dislike for Alonso but have grown to respect him. If he joins Ferrari I might grow to love him.

Love the new pic by the way mate. A tribute to the master.  :good: :yahoo: :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle