collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 394
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Flav and Symonds leave Renault  (Read 4969 times)

Offline F1Charles

Re: Flav and Symonds leave Renault
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »
Like others I will miss Flav, he went from t shirt salesman to title winning F1 boss in like 3 years at Benetton so for an outsider to achieve what he has in F1 and his subsequent titles is a great achievement, I think he only attended his first ever F1 race in 1989 so to be able to outfox the likes of Frank Williams, Ron Dennis and so on who had been in F1 an eternity was impressive

He had to go sadly but I will miss him

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
He went from a stock broker to buddy of Beneton.  Then he conned his way into a top job with him and afterwards left Beneton in his wake.  You can admire him for that, but I don't.  I do admire him in some ways for what he has accomplished in F1, but he has only done so because he has managed to find the right people to delegate to so he looks impressive.

I really don't think he spends that much time actually 'working'.

I'll miss his blue glasses and silver hair, but it's not as if he has really had much to say in the years he was in F1.  He was a celebrity, but I'm sure he kept his mouth shut at most of the policy or technical meetings.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 12:36:34 PM »
Flav always struck me as the embodiment of what's wrong with F1. Way too much emphasis on glitz and way too little on racing. A lot of glamor and very little go. That's why we have parades in pretty settings rather than real races on real race tracks.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline aazz

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »
Has there been any talk of the punishment that may be handed out to Renault over this affair if found guilty? What are the chances of a fine bigger than McLaren's a couple of years ago? Do the FIA consider race fixing worse than swapping confidential information or has a precedent already been set in a race fixing case before?

Sorry about all of the questions, I'm just thinking out loud. I still can't believe a anyone would crash on purpose.
I can't think of anything to write here.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:56 PM »
Flav always struck me as the embodiment of what's wrong with F1. Way too much emphasis on glitz and way too little on racing. A lot of glamor and very little go. That's why we have parades in pretty settings rather than real races on real race tracks.

If people want racing, they can go do the local dirt track.  F1 has to be about more than that.  It's been packaged as 'glitz and glamour' for as long as I've known.  Without it, it just becomes corporate sponsorship junkets without a soul.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
Has there been any talk of the punishment that may be handed out to Renault over this affair if found guilty?

That may be the reason for Flavio's exit. Max was out to get him, the same way he was with Ron Dennis at McLaren.

Sorry, Jeri, but when I think about F1, I think of people like Fangio, Clark, Chapman, Stewart, Minardi, none of whom were particularly glamorous. I'd take one race at Silverstone, Spa or Indy over all of the glam parades at Singapore, Valencia, Las Vegas. et al put together. What makes F1 different from dirt tracks used to be, and should be, the technology.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »
Has there been any talk of the punishment that may be handed out to Renault over this affair if found guilty?

That may be the reason for Flavio's exit. Max was out to get him, the same way he was with Ron Dennis at McLaren.

Sorry, Jeri, but when I think about F1, I think of people like Fangio, Clark, Chapman, Stewart, Minardi, none of whom were particularly glamorous. I'd take one race at Silverstone, Spa or Indy over all of the glam parades at Singapore, Valencia, Las Vegas. et al put together. What makes F1 different from dirt tracks used to be, and should be, the technology.

Stewart may not have been glamourous to present day F1 standards Cos, but he was a Pin up figure for the media and he played to that with trendy clothes and haircuts etc. back in the day. Oh and Jackie always had his attractive wife on hand at GPs as well.

In the same way Colin was the first to bring big money by way of sponsorship into F1 so he certainly upped the glamourous side of F1 and I believe enjoyed it as well. After all Colin was a flambouyant character as well as a talented one.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

Well said.   :good: :good: :good:

As much as I would like to get a tour of one of those motorhomes, it is only for the incredibilness of them (much like I would like a tour of a superyacht) and to see how you can waste a year of my salary in building a bathroom.   :o :o

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »

Not all racing fans are F1 fans, and not all F1 fans are racing fans.

I agree, I want to watch the best drivers in the world drive the most advanced cars in the world.  I want them to leave everything on the track, and I don't give a s**t about what goes on behind the scenes, in the hospitality suites or anything else, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the racing.

If F1 only targets people like you, people like me, they won't exist.  They need more.  They need to be seen to be the best, they need the 'best' to want to be there, to watch F1, to be at F1 so other 'best' will be there too. 

I don't know if that's the best way to run F1, but it's the direction they've been going for years.  Are Dietrich, Branson and Mallya enough to replace Briatore?  I'm going to guess 'yes'.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 06:03:57 PM »
The glitz if fine, Jeri. Your right, it is a big part of the show. Monaco is one of my favorite races every season. Events like the Jazz Festival and the Concours d'Elegance at Indy were great.

Where I draw the line is when the substance is sacrificed for the style. Taking races away from great, historic venues like Silverstone and Indy because they aren't in as "glamorous" a setting as Singapore and Valencia weakens the sport. Flavio was infamous for pushing that sort of thing.
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »
F1 needs glamour, but is a guy in tight shirts with sweaty arm pits the man to provide that?  He has done some good for his teams, but I do not even think he adds glamour.  I think a team like Red Bull does more with it's appeal and the people it brings to races.  Ferrari adds glamour due to its heritage.  McLaren adds glamour due to its stunning livery.

Sadly I cannot add Williams to the glamour list.  Or maybe I can... Nico's wavey hair  :sick:  Maybe not.  We have as much glamour as a brickie showing his backside  :'(

Offline romephius

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 01:27:45 AM »
F1 is bigger than any one person, Flav, missed by some, not by others (including me).  While he brought a certain amount of flair with what he did and how he did it, the entire show will move on un-harmed by his departure.   Like anything in life, F1 needs balance, the right balance of exposure and glamour with the right races, after all it's no good gathering a massive crowd only to bore them, aka Valencia.

The most memorable and glamorous thing in F1 for me, is Spa and seeing the cars go through Eau Rouge full tilt boogie.  It's simply incredible and boggles the mind, keeps me coming back for more. 

For those watching on TV, we want to see the racing, for those lucky enough to be at the track, they can experience all the glamour they want when the cars aren't on track.  Racing is paramount to any true F1 fan and Race fans in general.  If your in it for the glamour then your just lurking and wasting a proper spectators seat.  I'd suggest going and joining the mindless peons at the oscars red carpet ceremony, surely there's all the glamour needed.

As for crashing a car on purpouse, I say Piquet Jr is a weak minded fool, he would have gotten more respect (possibly fired) and more credibility as a driver had he done what the rest of us would do, and said no.  It's too risky and the reward could never out-weigh the risk.  Flav and co should be charged under occupational health and safety breaches and renault should be removed from the championship for allowing such a dangerous and obvious breach of the regulations to happen, just to make 1 driver happy.

I will not mis Flav one little bit, I've been sick of his do anything at anytime just to placate Fernando Alonso for years, even at the cost of a driver he was supposed to be managing, Pat Symonds is another who should have said no, surely he realised if they were caught it would be the end of his F1 career.

As always these are just my thoughts and opinions, and I could be wrong, and I mean no offence to anyone with them.

Rom

Offline Dare

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
Parabolica at Monza,the tunnel at Monaco,Maggotts and
Becketts at Silverstone,Eau Rouge at Spa!!!!Name me turns
with the flair in any other racing series.

Glamor is what drew me to F1 as a kid.Clark din't look like
it but he was glamorous.Stewart with his long hair and
mod clothes was glamorous.Just the names were glamorous
Bandini,Revson,Cevert,etc.

As much as wreckgate,cheatgate,and whatever annoying gate
comes next F1 has and always will be special.If we lose it I'll
stop following auto racing
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »
I'm in Singapore for the GP I could step into the breech!!

Go for it Andy.

As long as you are no relation to the Piquet Family, you have my vote!

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 07:13:08 AM »
I hear you might need to bring along a bit oxygen.  Chinese officials are worried about the smog levels again this year.  Hope you have a great time there Andy!  Smog or no smog, Any of us would love to be there with you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle