collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 474
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Richards to Renault?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Richards to Renault?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
2 big egos = chaos.  I can't see Richards working with Prost.  Ross was OK with Todt, Newey with Dennis, but there are sad endings too, like Gascoyne with just about anyone.  After retirement from driving, the only thing Prost has shown is now NOT to run a team.  I think if Renault give it to him just because of who he is would be foolish.  The last thing they need is someone suddenly in control a budget 5 times as big as the one he couldn't deal with the first time.  Richards has proven he can turn a team around.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
I don't really know much about Dave Richards (or Prost, for that matter).

I did do a little reading though.  There would be a certain amount of poetry for Richards to replace Flavio at Renault, given that he replaced Flavio at Bennetton...

Offline Willy

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »
Both had teams detonate below them in the past.
But Richards had his chances screwed by Honda.
Prost did his himself.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 03:11:12 AM »
Both had teams detonate below them in the past.
But Richards had his chances screwed by Honda.
Prost did his himself.

There are a lot of lessons to be learned from failure.

Maybe one or both men have had those lessons.

Offline Willy

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 03:19:28 AM »
There are a lot of lessons to be learned from failure.

In fact the only time one is learning is from failure.

It's not really failure, it's a learning opportunity.

Miss it at your peril.

FW14B

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »
Yeah, I said the same thing above, I reckon there could be a place for the two of them if their positions are properly defined and they stick to them.  Leave Richards and his team to the technical stuff and keep Prost as a good will ambassador boosting up Renault F1's rather battered image.

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 08:31:19 PM »
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »
It says this management structure will remain until the end of the season, so I guess they have decided that they don't need to go and hire someone right away.  I think that is a shame since they will need a leader to start next year's car in the right direction.  With Symonds gone, I am not sure Bell is up to it along with his new duties.  I think they should have promoted Bell to Head of Tech (whatever title they want to give that job) and bring in someone new to chat with the reporters and deal with the daily stuff at the track.

FW14B

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »
It certainly won't be easy for Bell, I'd have assumed that the press will be all over the Renault garage over the weekend to interview him and just generally film the garage.  I can understand the decision though to stick with who you know for the remainder of the season.

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 08:37:37 PM »
New rumours around DR and a possible buy out.  I'd rather see him work for Renault, or at least keep them as an engine supplier (assuming they get their kinks worked out with the RBR problems).

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090925181139.shtml

FW14B

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
From my point of view, I really want Renault to remain in at least an engine providing capactiy as well.  DR I think is looking increasingly likely to have some place in the team.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
From my point of view, I really want Renault to remain in at least an engine providing capactiy as well.  DR I think is looking increasingly likely to have some place in the team.

If the FIA is serious about 'engine equalisation', I wouldn't expect Renault to stay on as suppliers only.  If you can't use your superior technology to win a race, why pin your reputation on designers/engineers you can't hold accountable?

(I'd prefer the FIA let the engine companies compete openly, while respecting the testing ban.)

FW14B

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 11:06:21 PM »
Well, the Renault engine is inferior to the Mercedes anyway so equalisation would be doing them a favour, without them having to invest any money in it, so why not hang around?  Equalisation is about levelling the playing field (in theory) so in that sense there is a good chance that they would still be seen to be powering teams who may do well (or not, depending on the car itself).  The good thing about supplying engines only is that you can then just say 'yeah, it's the team, they're rubbish, our engine is great but you just cannot see it' so it is a win win situation compared to actually fielding a works team that is not winning races.

Anyway, I said I wanted Renault in purely as I do not see many other viable options for Williams in 2010 and I really want to see those two names together again.  I know it won't be a return to the early 1990s, but it would stilll look great to me! 

Personally, I hate this engine stuff, for goodness sake let them just build the engines as best they can and as powerful as they can like the old days. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »

Anyway, I said I wanted Renault in purely as I do not see many other viable options for Williams in 2010 and I really want to see those two names together again.  I know it won't be a return to the early 1990s, but it would stilll look great to me! 

If Renault leave completely the FIA wiil probably have to allow Merc to supply more teams so Frank and Patrick might just benefit.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 10:15:01 AM »
Or would they just go down the Cosworth route and force teams without engines to use them?  I do not know.  I was really tired when I wrote that post last night.  Not been sleeping well lately  :lazy: 

I would ideally prefer a Mercedes engine in any car at the moment, they are so much better than the rest. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle