collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 338
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Alonso: This one is for you, Flavio  (Read 4191 times)

Online Dare

Alonso: This one is for you, Flavio
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »
I happen to be one of the few who think Flavio got a raw deal so if you read
Flav I hope you return soon

Sunday 27th September 2009

Not one to shy away from controversy, Fernando Alonso has dedicated his Singapore GP podium to disgraced former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore.

Briatore was handed a lifetime ban from all Formula One activities on Monday for his role in Renault's race-fixing scandal at last year's Singapore GP, which saw Nelson Piquet Jr deliberately crash to help Alonso to the race win.

Less than a week later, though, Alonso proved he does have pace at Singapore, finishing Sunday night's race in third place - and without any help.

The Spaniard paid homage to his team, thanking them for putting the scandal behind them in order to focus on this weekend's race, and dedicated his podium to the ousted Briatore.

"The team has been fantastic, all season, we had a fantastic team," said Alonso.

"The mechanics and engineers, everyone in the factory, did the maximum, and sometimes we got some good results and sometimes were a bit unlucky.

"But this podium in a particular moment after what happened... it has been a difficult time for the team, now we put it behind us and we concentrate on the remaining races.

"And I dedicate this podium to Flavio - he is at home but he is part of the success we had today."

As for his race, Alonso says he has no complaints with his result, despite an illegal move from Mark Webber costing him the chance to finish ahead of Timo Glock.

"The first lap was a little bit stressful, running to Turn 7 side-by-side with Mark, we both ran wide over the kerb and Timo took the benefit there and overtook me there in Turn 8," said Alonso.

"With the battle with Webber I lost position with Timo and finished the race behind him. No real complaints, it is fantastic for us. We didn't have the pace all weekend to be on the podium but we are on the podium so better than expected."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Alonso: This one is for you, Flavio
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »
"And if Piquet had been here, we would have won again!"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
"And if Piquet had been here, we would have won again!"

I doubt it after 17 crashes the 18th may have looked
a little fishy
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:45:24 PM »
I was always surprised when young Piquet didn't prang something!  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »

As for his race, Alonso says he has no complaints with his result, despite an illegal move from Mark Webber costing him the chance to finish ahead of Timo Glock.

Heres more of the marshals being extremely inconsistent. wasn't the move that Webber made the exact same thing that Kimi did at spa on lap 1, that pushed him to victory

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:19:22 AM »

oh I think ALONSO is just playing the PR game with his comments.  :tease:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

Heres more of the marshals being extremely inconsistent. wasn't the move that Webber made the exact same thing that Kimi did at spa on lap 1, that pushed him to victory

I'm not sure the stewards got involved, I think the team told Mark to give the place back to avoid a possible drive thru.

Fischi appears to have passed someone Luizzi I think with all his wheels off the track but he kept the place and there were no repercussions - Oh but wait, he is in a Ferrari now so that's alright then!  ::)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:35:36 AM »

Wait iam confused. I may very well be making a fool of myself and destroying any reputation that i might have with the ton of wrong information that i have had recently.. But i dont get what you are saying about Alonso, mark made his illegal pass witch he then let both of them by... Witch i thought was the marshals but John's point makes sense. but if it was the marshals telling him to let them by, shouldn't they have made kimi pull over at spa? Thats all i was trying to say

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »

Wait iam confused. I may very well be making a fool of myself and destroying any reputation that i might have with the ton of wrong information that i have had recently.. But i dont get what you are saying about Alonso, mark made his illegal pass witch he then let both of them by... Witch i thought was the marshals but John's point makes sense. but if it was the marshals telling him to let them by, shouldn't they have made kimi pull over at spa? Thats all i was trying to say

no worries PG_Gabriel - I just meant FA recognised timo GLOCK also slipped by, [because of MW's illegal overtaking], was an opportunistic piece of driving; a 'racing incident' any driver would have done and he wisely refrained from 'whinging' about it to protect his credibility and accordingly his PR image.

And John is so right - when you drive for FERRARI you get certain benefits; like immunity from penalties!

Just my opinion mate............. and I enjoy yours.
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle