collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 556
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rubens to Williams  (Read 1419 times)

FW14B

Rubens to Williams
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
I wonder if this was done before the news about Glock coming onto the market came out?  I am unsure on Rubens, he is having a great year but too often he can just drift, and it is a worry having an older driver as it might mean in a year's time we have to find another new driver at a time when the driver market will be a lot less flexible.

Again from Autosport:

Rubens Barrichello is closing in on a deal with Williams for 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned, in a move that could see him swap places with Nico Rosberg.

On the back of a season where he has resurrected his Formula 1 career, having turned a lifeline from Brawn GP into a full-scale assault on the world championship, Barrichello is poised to extend his stay in F1 for at least one more year.

Although his performances for Brawn were not enough to guarantee his future at the team, with Rosberg's move to the Brackley-based team an open secret in F1, Williams is believed to be keen to tap into Barrichello's vast experience and speed as it continues its push back to the front of the grid.

With Williams expected to sign rookie Nico Hulkenberg, the team has set its sights on an experienced team leader to help guide car development and help bring on a rookie team-mate.

Sources have claimed that Barrichello recently visited the Williams factory at Grove to discuss the plans for next year, and it is understood that an outline deal either has already been agreed or is close to being concluded.

Speaking in Singapore last weekend, Williams technical director Sam Michael made no secret of the fact that the team's preference was for a driver line-up that featured both experience and youth.

"If you have someone who is very experienced that is great because they have experience on set-up and car direction," he explained. "And if you have someone who is young, then they bring enthusiasm.

"We've had many different drivers in Williams over the years in both camps - experienced guys and rookies, and they have all had their plus and minuses. But the most important thing is that they are fast, this is first and foremost for us."

Barrichello has won two races this year and currently lies 15 points behind team-mate Jenson Button in the world championship standings, with three races to go.

Although Barrichello is close to a deal with Williams, it is not impossible that he could be kept by Brawn GP if the team fails to reach agreement with Button about the financial terms of a new contract for 2010.

Discussions between the world championship leader and the team over money for next year have not yet reached a conclusion. It is understood the two parties are still some way apart in their discussions about just how much Button should be paid on the back of his strong campaign, having agreed to a cut-price deal this year to ensure Brawn GP's future in F1.

However, Barrichello may feel it is better to take a guaranteed seat at Williams in the next few weeks rather than wait until after the season for the chance of something that may not happen.

Williams also held talks with Robert Kubica earlier this year, but the Polish driver is now expected to take up an offer he has from the Renault team.

Offline Dare

Re: Rubens to Williams
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
I think Rueben's made the right decision.Who knows
Williams may even have a better car than Brawn next
season.

Still leaves a few drivers in limbo for next year.Trulli,Glock,
Fisichella,Kovalainen,Kubica,and Heidfeld

I think Nakajima is history and is the time right for Senna?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »
That will all depend on which teams actually show up on the grid.  Unfortunately for the drivers still searching for a drive, it appears that hiring drivers is still way down the list for teams that haven't even hired engineers or put together manufacturing facilities. 

I wonder how Rubens will get along with Frank and Patrick, who after all consider their engineers to be much more important employees than their drivers.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »
It's not the engineers so much as the team which is more important (look how Williams were towards Newey when he left).  I think so long as Rubens get's a car he'll be happy, and to be honest, it will be his first time being team leader, he'll love it (unless Hulkenberg beats him).  He is a genuine racer and I think he'll get on great with Sir Frank.  I'd recommend reading the new book on the Williams team by Maurice Hamilton for an insight into the team.

Still, I wonder if this will happen or if Heidfeld will make a return, he was well liked within the team I believe. 

As for Nakajima, I believe he is the only driver to have been on the grid all season to have not scored a point so far.  I hope he is dropped after Japan for Hulkenberg so that he gets a few races practice without the pressure ahead of next year.  I cannot see Kaz getting a seat next year unless Toyota go racing on a budget.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
If Williams drops Toyota as engine supplier, Kazoo will be gone, too. Toy might replace either of their drivers with him for next season. He would be cheaper and would please the home fans.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »

ruby has a proven ability to set up and fine tune settings on his cars i.e. he can talk 'engineze' with the egineers

would be great to see him as a #1 as Williamsfan has commented
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle