collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 328
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Lewis become one of the greatest of all time?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will Lewis become one of the greatest of all time?
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »

The comment, in this piece from Autosport, about Lewis taking out a completely rebuilt car and posting purple sector times on the first flying lap shows just how commited he is to both the team and being the complete F1 racer. I wonder how many other drivers on the grid would or could take out a car that has been hastily rebuilt and get straight on it like that. I think we have seen much less than half what Lewis can deliver in F1 so far.

Formula 1 has always been about a fight against the stopwatch. Yet in Singapore, the fight against time took on a whole new meaning again as the paddock battled to sort out its waking hours - and get the body used to eating the wrong food at the wrong time of day.

The majority of people there stuck on European time once again, which meant getting up in the early afternoon and heading for bed in the early hours – and sometimes after dawn.

It was also easy to tell people who were working at the F1 race from the locals – as they were the only ones saying 'good morning' at four in the afternoon.

The time zone shift was not of much help to members of the McLaren team, however, who were forced to pull off an 'all-dayer' on Friday when it was decided that Lewis Hamilton needed a new chassis prepared.

A problem with the wiring system deep inside the car could not be fixed easily at the track, and the only other option was to get a new car ready. It meant a 20-hour day for the boys in the garage... and Mercedes-Benz chief Norbert Haug had nothing but praise for what they had done.

"I think it is important to mention what the guys in the garage did changing the chassis," said Haug. "When Lewis did his first flying lap afterwards he was immediately posting a purple time. That shows the trust that he had in his team. He had one out lap and then he went for it. That is an absolutely positive sign.

"We were not spot-on on Friday but that changed overnight and I have to say that this is a great achievement. I'm not sure that a lot of teams can do that job overnight."

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

Re: Will Lewis become one of the greatest of all time?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »
It's going to be interesting next year when Kimi
arrives
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »
I agree.  I don't think Kimi will be bothered, but Hamilton might be if Kimi starts taking some of the spotlight.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »
Lewis without doubt will be one of the few who truly master racing an F1 car. He will stand along side the names we all know in the hall of fame. For me I like to see him beaten on track as he drives a dreaded silver arrow, especially if the car in front can be red in colour. The fact that he is so good makes that all the more sweet and I honestly believe we have not see the best from him.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »
I agree.  I don't think Kimi will be bothered, but Hamilton might be if Kimi starts taking some of the spotlight.

I know we don't get lots of F1 coverage and gossip in Canada, but has Kimi ever been in the spotlight?  Of all F1 champs I've seen, he seems to be the least interested in being a celebrity.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »
IMO Talking about Lewis is like Obama getting the Nobel. This means his speech writers deserve it more.
Lewis has a lot to do , miles to go , lets see !
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 03:21:06 PM »
I think, or hope, that we might be on the eve of a new "Golden Age." There are several young driver that may be greats: Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica, along with Kimi, Alonso and others. I do agree, however, that it's way too early to call any of them the best ever.

I know the right wing media have been trying to bury it, but two years ago, as a Senator, President Obama wrote the "Loose Nukes" bill. It created the process that is now turning Russian nuclear warheads into fuel for civilian reactors.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »
I think, or hope, that we might be on the eve of a new "Golden Age." There are several young driver that may be greats: Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica, along with Kimi, Alonso and others. I do agree, however, that it's way too early to call any of them the best ever.

I agree the next few seasons look to be extremely competitive, all those drivers could win a championship without being a surprise.

So for purposes of comparison... was Schumacher really one of the greatest, or was he driving in an era where the competition was lesser?

Offline raindancer

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
Schuey was good, very good imo. So was Mika but the schuey years were of absolute dominance of the whole package, Car, Engineers, Money , brains and driving skill.
Schuey was never tested like a FA or even Kimi. Mika was. I rate Mika higher than Schuey.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:29:25 PM »
Schuey was good, very good imo. So was Mika but the schuey years were of absolute dominance of the whole package, Car, Engineers, Money , brains and driving skill.
Schuey was never tested like a FA or even Kimi. Mika was. I rate Mika higher than Schuey.

I think the appearance of Button and Mark Webber as championship contenders, with Fisichella coming out of the woods, shows the cars are more important than the drivers.  I don't think that Button or Webber suddenly got better, or that Fisichella suddenly remembered where the gas pedal is.

Certainly Badoer and Piquet have shown that it's not just the car, you still need a great driver, it's just hard to compare the drivers when their cars are making a bigger difference than their talents.

If Lewis (or Vettel or Alonso or...) goes on to dominate, it's as much a testament to the team they drive for as anything.

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:56:37 AM »

yeah raindancer, but that's how SCHUMACHER was never tested. As you say the complete and superior package he was able to form, or have formed, around him insulated him from being tested

and that is why I have to rate MS higher than MH - as mika did not have michael's organisational skills although he arguably was a more gifted driver.   
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:38 AM »
I agree fully Sennaman. MH was more talented , MS more manipulative.  ;)

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 05:07:15 AM »
MS never made mistakes until his last year,you could see
little errors he made that let Alonso catch up with him.
Maybe that's why he didn't look for another drive when
Luca forced him out,remember there was the rumor that BMW
offered him a billion dollars to drive
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline raindancer

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:17:23 AM »
I heard that too, but doubt if the offer was really made.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
I agree fully Sennaman. MH was more talented , MS more manipulative.  ;)

I really can't see any justification for that statement, over his career MS was always fighting for the podium regularly and in his Benetton and early Ferrari days it's difficult to say he always had the best package.

Michael duelled with oh so many talented Drivers in cars as good as, sometimes better than his, and consistantly kept the pressure on them. Yes it's true that in the latter years he had the best all round team/car/strategy combination but that all came because people love to back a winner.

We can all speculate about what might have been with drivers, but it is the results that show who really acheived.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle