collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 264
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams eyes Petronas backing?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Williams eyes Petronas backing?
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »
So there could be more to Frank's objection to Sauber's place on the grid than first appeared. Then again it's always been dog eat dog in F1 which is why so many liberties get taken in trying to circumvent the rules of the sport.

I've added the Telegraph article link, this also explains why Williams broke ranks with FOTA over the concorde. Will we see Frank's comments on the F1 circus in quite the same light in future, or will we now have to think much harder about which self interest it is serving for him?

Williams is reportedly opposed to BMW Sauber receiving a guaranteed 14th team entry for 2010 because it wants to secure the Swiss outfit's major long-term Malaysian sponsor Petronas.

Team chief Sir Frank Williams has said publicly that he opposes the expansion of the grid from 26 to 28 cars because the latter is too high a number, while not enough is known about BMW Sauber's new mysterious owners Qadbak.

However, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport claims the Grove based team's resistance is actually about money, with the Malaysian oil company Petronas wanting to stay in Formula One beyond 2009.

Interestingly, the German magazine said Petronas would prefer to stay with BMW Sauber rather than switch to the new Malaysian-owned Lotus team.   

Should BMW Sauber drop off the grid, Williams would therefore be near the top of the list for Petronas as an established and reliable team with an affordable sponsorship rate card.

The report coincides with a newspaper article in Britain's Daily Telegraph claiming that Williams' finances "are far from pole position".

In 2010, the team will no longer have the Royal Bank of Scotland's $20m sponsorship, having already lost the $30m deal of the failed Icelandic retail group Baugur.

© CAPSIS International

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/6274422/End-of-sponsorship-will-hurt-Williams-F1-team.html

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:54:31 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Williams eyes Petronas backing?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:57 AM »
I'm surprised.  I remember him saying in an interview once that it is Williams policy to never go after another team's sponsor (unlike Mclaren who almost always tries to pry away succesful sponsorship deals that others put together).  I guess this is a reflection of just how bad things have gotten for Frank and co.  Pretty underhanded and vicious way of landing a sponsor.  I never imagined he would stoop so low as to destroy another team just for a quick buck.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
I'm surprised.  I remember him saying in an interview once that it is Williams policy to never go after another team's sponsor (unlike Mclaren who almost always tries to pry away succesful sponsorship deals that others put together).  I guess this is a reflection of just how bad things have gotten for Frank and co.  Pretty underhanded and vicious way of landing a sponsor.  I never imagined he would stoop so low as to destroy another team just for a quick buck.

As it stands... they're not another team's sponsor.  Williams is fighting for the life of his team, and he's not getting any help (not that he expected to).

If things continue this way, Sauber might get Williams' spot on the grid.

FW14B

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »
Williams are fine for a few years, just because they are chasing Petronas does not suggest they will be about to withdraw.  I think it is telling there is not a single quote from the team in the article (not criticising Scotty for posting it, I think it is a good article and I thought that when I read it on the web first time before here).  Also, with all the will in the world, a German publisher might still look at Williams in a bad light following the less than successful relationship between Williams and BMW. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
I've got a good idea...why not go with 13 grid places, but allow 14 teams.  Two cars will not make it through Q and will be put back on the trailer at the end of Qualifying.  It will give the new teams a bit more to strive for rather than just showing up and collecting their TV money at the end of the year.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

david1275

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
Good idea Scotty. :good: It would make it interesting when penalties were handed out.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
I've got a good idea...why not go with 13 grid places, but allow 14 teams.  Two cars will not make it through Q and will be put back on the trailer at the end of Qualifying.  It will give the new teams a bit more to strive for rather than just showing up and collecting their TV money at the end of the year.

Good way to cut down on using up engine/gearboxes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle