collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 264
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Jenson Button- World Champion!  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Jenson Button- World Champion!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
Welcome Dave, too bad you found us with just one race remaining this season.  Hope you stick around.

No contest about the car vs driver argument, but we all have our own reasons for opinions of which was the stronger factor.  I'm glad Button did it over Rubens, but sorry Vettel had such lousy luck earlier in the season.  It's always a great day when a new champion is crowned (and even better when it's a new team) as opposed to watching the same one over and over again, regardless of skill and luck.  Hats off to Button.  He did what he had to do, but perhaps not what he could have done.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Also want to say welcome Dave!

I am still excited about Button winning.  Although a Williams fan (who'd have thunk it?) I have always supported Jenson and he is my favourite driver on the grid, so to see him win the World Championship is exciting.  I think this season has been interesting as his car has not been the strongest all season, but he did what was necessary in many of the races where he/the car was off the pace.  With more reliability, I think Vettel would have put on a stronger contest, but you can only beat what you are faced with, and Button did that, so well down to him.  As for comments about him being the best all season, I wonder how much of that is gamesmanship, trying to boost him and knock down his opponents?  Anyway, I think in reality he would know this is not the case especially as Rubens beat him a lot in the second half of the season.

Offline littledave

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
His comments are way off the mark because the field is very strong at the moment and it's very presumptuous to say that he was the best all season, which blatantly isn't true, as he didn't win all the races. He has always had a shroud of arrogance about him but hey, life goes on.

@ Williamsfan you seemed to have forgot about the whole him not following through with his contract, dumping Williams for BAR ;). I too have always been a fan and supporter of Button, to the annoyance of my F1 buddies. They have hated him for a long time and said he will never do anything. HA. The main reason was because he was British and I just never have been a fan of Coulthard (sorry but with the cars that guy has had under him he should have done far better and what the hell is wrong with his chin?) so I was hoping he would pick up the baton from my old favourite Damon Hill, which after many many years has finally done so! He has the skill, not forgetting him coming 3rd in the championship in 2004, he just lacks the raw pace of great drivers like Vettell, Hamilton, Schumacher and the best of all Alonso. (That’s right I prefer him over Shumey any day.) >:D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
Congrats to Button. I've had my doubts about him over the years, but he came through this season.

Brawn proved that it wasn't all Ferrari and Schumi all those years. Honda: Ten years, one win. Brawn: One year, eight wins (so far). 'Nuff said.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

FW14B

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
I was annoyed at Button for a little while following his decision to not move to Williams after all the contract rubbish, but on the other hand he probably paid a great chunk of the fee needed to get the Toyota engines, so I could not be too hard on him for long! 

Anyway, I am sure at one point he'll return to Williams, Frank still loves him and I think the respect is mutual between them. 

Offline littledave

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 02:36:02 PM »
That would be interesting to see.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
If I'd a won, I'd also be saying over and over again that I am WC, but gotta agree that him saying that he was the best over 16 races is a bit of a stretch.  Maybe that he was in FRONT of the others over 16 races, but certainly not the best.  However, there have been many worthy champions, and quite a few not so worthy champions...we can all choose where to put Button.  For this finish to the WDC, he gets my congratulations.  He drove a helluva race.  

I hope he doesn't think that it will make Ross budge a penny on contract offers though.  If Ross' sponsors want Jenson enough and want to pick up his race contract fees, a la Ferrari, then let them.  But if you ask me, Ross should put his money back into the car for next year, not Jenson's pocket.

I think when you have just won the WDC you are allowed some bragging rights! :P

- Someone will be suggesting next that Piquet could have been champ in the Brawn. :crazy:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:55:41 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:18:41 PM »
Jenson becoming champion has made me very happy  :yahoo: :yahoo: He deserves the championship after all the effort he's put in this year. The start of the season was astonishing for him and after that he made sure he was never too far away from his rivals. Yes, the press got worried, but it was never really that far from Jenson's control.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Willy

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 03:01:55 AM »
Huge congrat's to Jenson...well done.
And not to forget the man behind it... Ross Brawn. A true genius.

Well deserved by all at Brawn GP.

Jens drove in Brasil like a man possessed.
He has proven that he can perform when required.

And to Rubens for his contribution to the Constructors Championship.

Offline Ian

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:27 PM »
Go on JenSON, you have full bragging rights. I always said, give him a good car(not the best one) and he could do it, well, he done it.  :good:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline raindancer

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:24:05 PM »
Jenson has been good and he probably deserves the Title. What I am a little surprised is that while his team mate during the latter half of the season excelled button fell behind. Assuming both were in the same machinery that was inexplicable.
However Brawn has said that Button's telemetry was always top class. The fact that he hired Barrichello was because he knew Barrichello from his ferrari days.
My question such performances towards both ends of the spectrum are a little too difficult to understand.
So will our man be good next year or will Force India beat him ??
Don't Fight Forces ! Use them

Offline Ian

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
I reckon Lewis will be the one to watch next year, but if JenSON can repeat his Interlagos drive throughout he could retain the title.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle