collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 295
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams to run Cosworth engines in 2010  (Read 1047 times)

FW14B

Williams to run Cosworth engines in 2010
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
From Autosport:

Williams will switch to Cosworth engines next season, AUTOSPORT has learned, after believing its prospects for success in 2010 are best served with the independent engine maker.

Although the Grove-based outfit came close to a deal with Renault, high level sources at the French car manufacturer have revealed that Williams has now informed the company that it is no longer interested in a tie-up for next year.

With Toyota already having confirmed that it is ending its customer supply deal at the end of this year, it means that Williams has now settled on a switch to Cosworth.

Williams is refusing to confirm its engine plans until after the end of the season, but its engineering director Patrick Head praised Cosworth's efforts in preparing for its return to Formula 1.

"They are certainly very committed to it and working hard," he said. "They have been one of the options but we are not stating where we cast our final hook in terms of what is available to us until after the final race of the season. But I think our design office know what they are designing for."

Sources claim that one of the key attractions for Cosworth is the fact that the engine supplier will be able to re-tune its powe runit until early next year - something no other manufacturer is able to do because of F1's engine freeze.

The tweaks could help ensure Cosworth's engine is competitive throughout 2010, which is why Red Bull Racing is also considering a switch to the power unit if it is unsuccessful in its bid to secure Mercedes-Benz power.

Head said that his team had chosen to finish its partnership with Toyota because it fancied a change of direction.

"We had a very good relationship with Toyota," he said. "We made a decision about two months ago that we wanted to go in a different direction and I think the reasons are not for public consumption.

"We haven't had any falling out so it's an amicable parting. There were a number of factors that caused us to make the decision but I don't think that the combination of the reasons we decided to make a change are not ones that we are prepared to share. But it was nothing that caused any shouting and screaming, we chose to change direction.

"Ross Brawn and the team showed that you can make an engine change on Christmas Eve and still produce a pretty competitive car but I don't think our design office would thank us for doing that and they will have a little longer than that to design the car around the engine."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Williams to run Cosworth engines in 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 12:06:15 PM »

Wliiams are canny customers but I suspect price may have something to do with this decision. The Renault engine has worked pretty well, speed wise, in the Red Bull this season and taking a chance on an unproven Cosworth unit is a risk.

Perhaps they are just figuring on being the best of the rest.  ;)        - Nah, it's not Williams style.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:16:27 PM »
Cosworth is always the best choice! ;)

I also wonder if there was concern for Renault's long-term commitment to F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

david1275

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
Williams Renault was a name that brings back good F1 memories, shame it won't come about again.

It looks like there is going to be an awful lot of Cosworth powered cars on the grid next year, that should keep one man we all know happy. Our Cos  :D

If it's all down to cost and these Cosworth engines are so cheap, I might have to look at getting one for the Passat. :DD

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
It does seem a strange move, given Williams most recent usage of the Cosworth (less than successful, littered with failures), but perhaps Renault were just demanding too much, and not necessarily only money?  Or maybe this article is wrong?  Mind you, it would be interesting if RBR use Cosworth too.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »
Williams might also be sick and tired of always getting strings attached to low price deals from major manufacturer's.  They want to pick their own drivers, and not be sidetracked by having a driver they can't fire or properly manage or have to deal with some other devotion to the engine supplier.  Now they can simply put the package together that they want and put the drivers in it that they can afford.  True independence - back to basics. 

I don't know how bad the Cosworth is actually going to be.  I haven't heard anything but speculation.  Is that really an issue?  Are they seriously down on power that we know of? 

They build pretty good engines for plenty of series don't forget, and the more teams that they sign up, the bigger design and testing budget they will have.  I would also imagine the FIA and Bernie will give them a few wild cards if they get the first or second version wrong.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Williams also announced that they are dropping KERS next year to keep in line with FOTA policies.  I wonder if they might next agree to the 14th team and leave it up to Bernie as to where to put the extra garages at Monaco.  Come on Frank, you show a bit of compromise on KERS, how about Sauber?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

FW14B

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »
It is not just Williams with BMW though, Manor would also need sorting out. 

I can understand going for Cosworth, just I wonder what made them decide it after the previous experience.  I agree that by going with an engine that is being allowed to be tuned a little to get it to where the existing ones are, means potentially the Cosworth might be slightly better in the wider scheme of things.  I also agree that the freedom Williams would get is a brilliant thing.  I remember reading that when we first went to Renault for engines, Flav was rumoured to be saying sure, but only if we didn't go after Kubica.  That is a problem with working with getting a customer engine from a factory team, there are often unwanted strings attached (or, Nakajima in the case of Toyota!)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle