collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 188
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Button's Brawn deal hinges on Merc buy-in'  (Read 2608 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
'Button's Brawn deal hinges on Merc buy-in'
« on: October 26, 2009, 10:58:08 AM »

According to this report from Planetf1.com Jens can only stay at Brawn if Merc buy in, the alternative is him piloting a McLaren. Seems like Merc have made some sort of promise to Button, surely not? :DntKnw:

It also begs the question as to whether Brawn can afford to continue as a front running team if money is a really big issue. Indeed will they even get through next season without a big cash injection?  :o

Brawn may be 99 percent sure of securing Jenson Button's services for next season, however, reports claim the deal hinges on Mercedes buying in, which would give the team the money they need.

Button may have won the World title for Brawn GP in Ross Brawn's first season as a Formula One team owner but limited funds have resulted in the team failing to secure his signature for next year's Championship. The newly-crowned F1 Champion is reportedly wanting to return to the £8million-a-year he was earning before taking a £5million pay cut when former team owners Honda pulled out last December.

And although the team are keen to hold onto the Brit, Brawn admits finances are the sticking point in contract negotiations. "Jenson has a contract with us. But that contract is not the salary of a World Champion, not the salary of a team that is in a much stronger position than it was 10 months ago," he said. "We're working with Jenson to find a balance between what we can afford and what he feels is fair for his status and the contribution he can make in the future."

Finances, though, are in general a sore point for Brawn GP. 'They have used up all, or nearly all, of the £120m Honda left them with when they handed over ownership to Ross Brawn in March. That has been spent on running costs, development of this and next year's cars and laying off 200 staff,' claims the Daily Mail.

'Even with Virgin's name plastered over the car all season at a rate of £150,000 per race, it has yielded only £2.5m if, as many doubt, the arrangement has been paid up in full.'

However, Virgin are set to walk at the end of the season, swapping their allegiance to newbies, Manor GP, while as yet rumours of a new title sponsor for Brawn GP have not been confirmed by the team.

But there is talk of Mercedes buying in, increasing their role from engine supplier to part owner. The German carmaker, who currently owns a 40 percent stake in McLaren, are reported to be wanting a '75 percent share in Brawn', which would provide the team with the funds needed to secure Button's signature.

The newspaper added that 'there remains a great deal of negotiation to be carried out. It is also uncertain whether Mercedes, at boardroom level, support the idea of spending extra money on Formula One when the car industry is struggling in the global recession.'

And should Merc opt out of their Brawn plans, they would also walk Button over to McLaren...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:05:46 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: 'Button's Brawn deal hinges on Merc buy-in'
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
All due respect to Button for winning the championships, but what is Mercedes playing at here?  Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen have done more for the Mercedes brand than Button has (Mercedes didn't even have their name on Button's car!), while providing a broader spectrum of international marketing appeal.

If McLaren is preparing for life after Mercedes, then I can understand why Mercedes is keen on picking up Brawn.  Keeping Button would be a key part of that deal.

I hope that if Mercedes does leave McLaren, that McLaren isn't hurt as badly as Williams was when BMW left.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 01:22:52 PM »
I guess there are more serious issues between Merc and Mclaren than any of us know.  I also wonder how they are going to remove themselves from their 40% stake in Mclaren, especially if Mclaren decide not to buy it back themselves.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »
I guess there are more serious issues between Merc and Mclaren than any of us know.  I also wonder how they are going to remove themselves from their 40% stake in Mclaren, especially if Mclaren decide not to buy it back themselves.

Perhaps BMW might to get supply rights for engines on Ron's new sportscar. :D :DD 

FW14B

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
I must admit I am not convinced Brawn will hold up so well next year.  They have not exactly developed their 2009 car as well as other teams, Red Bull and McLaren have at the very least caught up with Brawn.  I would like to see Brawn challenge again, but I think it will be a massive achievement if they are able to keep challenging at the front. 

As for this Mercedes stuff, it is very odd if they have agreed a deal with Button, considering they also have allegedly have a deal with Rosberg, it will be a case of musical chairs for the drivers. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:11:30 PM »
Perhaps BMW might to get supply rights for engines on Ron's new sportscar. :D :DD 

Hmmm, that would be a twist...maybe BMW are going to be an engine supplier when Merc pull out of Mclaren?  That would be fun to see.  Maybe Mclaren would be the company that could bring BMW's cloth car to life:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »

As for this Mercedes stuff, it is very odd if they have agreed a deal with Button, considering they also have allegedly have a deal with Rosberg, it will be a case of musical chairs for the drivers. 

I think Rosberg to Brawn and Rubens to Williams is a done deal but it could be reversed leaving both where they are now if the worst happens. It's only the other seat at Brawn in play, hence the rumours about Rubens could still stay at Brawn next year.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
Hmmm, that would be a twist...maybe BMW are going to be an engine supplier when Merc pull out of Mclaren?  That would be fun to see.  Maybe Mclaren would be the company that could bring BMW's cloth car to life:

Good vid Scott, now that really is a concept car.  :good:

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:01 PM »
I love the wink at the end...wouldn't it be great if you could get your car to wink?   :-*

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »
I must admit I am not convinced Brawn will hold up so well next year.  They have not exactly developed their 2009 car as well as other teams, Red Bull and McLaren have at the very least caught up with Brawn.  I would like to see Brawn challenge again, but I think it will be a massive achievement if they are able to keep challenging at the front. 

I agree, I believe that Brawn's budget won't produce a surprise like 2009's car.

HOWEVER, it was Brawn that invented the way to win in 2009.  Yes, everyone's caught up, but even though the rules for next year are mostly intact, the fueling ban is going to change strategy.  If I had to pick one man who will be ahead of the curve on 2010 strategy, it would be Ross Brawn.  They might win a few races before everyone else figures it out, and then coast to the championship again.

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 04:02:27 PM »
I think Brawn are more than capable of continuing with their success. Ross Brawn has a very good team of engineers and next year he will have a lot more money to spend. The ever changing regulations and various attempts to limit budgets will make F1 a more 'level playing field'. Let's face it, even Force India have produced a car well suited to low downforce tracks and they have a tiny budget.
I don't think there will be a single dominant car next year and my guess is that Maclaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Brawn will be the main front runners again

Offline Chris Borg

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
Having secured the F1 title as well as the constructors championships in only their first season, I would have been of the opinion that Jenson`s contract with Brawn G.P. ought to have been a formality.
You Race to win.

Aryton Senna.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 05:24:41 PM »
Having secured the F1 title as well as the constructors championships in only their first season, I would have been of the opinion that Jenson`s contract with Brawn G.P. ought to have been a formality.

Brawn had to lay off a lot of employees just to get to the European season.  Without Honda's help, they're going to have a smaller budget for 2010.  If they give Button the raise he wants (and deserves), how much is left to pay the people who put Button on the podium?

FW14B

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
I imagine they'll find enough to pay Button and the team due to the sponsorship they'll get for next year as opposed to whether or not Mercedes complete a buy in to the team. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle