collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 180
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2010 season changes  (Read 4573 times)

Offline PoleMan

2010 season changes
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Though not as dramatic as the rule changes introduced for the 2009 season, the revisions for 2010 could still have a significant impact on the teams’ relative performance…

Refuelling
The biggest change for the 2010 season is the banning of refuelling during races for the first time since 1993. Pit stops will not become a thing of the past, however, as drivers still have to use both dry-weather tyre compounds during a Grand Prix. Of course, those stops will now be much quicker, quite possibly under four seconds.

The change requires cars to possess a much larger fuel tank - up from around 80 litres to something nearer 250 - and has a major effect on race strategy, with drivers having to pay more attention to tyre and brake conservation. To accommodate the bigger tank, the cars are likely to feature wider rear bodywork and a longer wheelbase. As a result, the weight distribution will be quite different to that of a 2009 car.

Weight
The minimum weight of the car has been raised from 605kg to 620kg. The initial thinking behind this was to offset the disadvantage faced by taller, heavier drivers in KERS-equipped cars (the additional weight of the KERS system meant they were left with less flexibility in terms of weight distribution than their lighter rivals). By mutual agreement, however, teams are now not expected to run KERS in 2010.

Narrower front tyres
When slick tyres returned to Formula One racing in 2009, the tyre size remained unchanged. In terms of contact area, this meant that the fronts gained proportionally more grip than the rears. This has been addressed for 2010, with front tyre width reduced from 270mm to 245mm, thus helping to bring back a better grip balance. Also, the ban on refuelling means cars will be around 100kg heavier at the start of a race than in 2009, so Bridgestone will use slightly harder tyre compounds to compensate.

No wheel fairings
Teams are no longer allowed to use the wheel rim covers that became so commonplace in 2009. Their removal means one less thing to go wrong when pit crews are trying to change of set of tyres in less than four seconds, and could also aid overtaking by making the airflow immediately behind cars less turbulent.

More teams
Thirteen teams - 26 cars - will feature on the grid in 2010. This means a slight alteration to the knockout qualifying session, which will now see eight drivers (as opposed to five) eliminated in Q1 and Q2, leaving ten to fight it out for pole in Q3.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: 2010 season changes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »

I presume final Quali will be run on low fuel same as quali 1 and 2, surely they can't expect the final 10 to use full tanks it would be like watching snails race?
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:12 AM »

I presume final Quali will be run on low fuel same as quali 1 and 2, surely they can't expect the final 10 to use full tanks it would be like watching snails race?

Interesting thought... no refueling during qualifying?  You hope you start with enough in Q1 to last you through Q3?  (And still get to put in a full load for the race)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:26:14 PM »
How about this: They run all of quali and the race without refueling. They could use auxiliary drop tanks like a fighter plane. Just think of it. A car tries an overtaking move, and the car in front jettisons two empty fuel tanks in front of the overtaking car!  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
How about this: They run all of quali and the race without refueling. They could use auxiliary drop tanks like a fighter plane. Just think of it. A car tries an overtaking move, and the car in front jettisons two empty fuel tanks in front of the overtaking car!  :crazy:

Actually, a removable fuel cell that can be taken off during a pitstop isn't a bad idea.  I wonder if that is specifically forbidden?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 10:15:29 PM »
How about this: They run all of quali and the race without refueling. They could use auxiliary drop tanks like a fighter plane. Just think of it. A car tries an overtaking move, and the car in front jettisons two empty fuel tanks in front of the overtaking car!  :crazy:

Actually, a removable fuel cell that can be taken off during a pitstop isn't a bad idea.  I wonder if that is specifically forbidden?

You would still have to meet the minimum weight requirement at the end of the race so what would be the point, the extra fuel cell would just add excess weight.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:27:40 PM »
How about this: They run all of quali and the race without refueling. They could use auxiliary drop tanks like a fighter plane. Just think of it. A car tries an overtaking move, and the car in front jettisons two empty fuel tanks in front of the overtaking car!  :crazy:

Actually, a removable fuel cell that can be taken off during a pitstop isn't a bad idea.  I wonder if that is specifically forbidden?

I know the teams are allowed to adjust the wings during a stop, would they be allowed to adjust ballast as the cars burn up fuel?  (I know the drivers are forbidden from doing it, and it wouldn't make sense to do it under the old rules, so it may not be specifically banned?)

You would still have to meet the minimum weight requirement at the end of the race so what would be the point, the extra fuel cell would just add excess weight.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

I know the teams are allowed to adjust the wings during a stop, would they be allowed to adjust ballast as the cars burn up fuel?  (I know the drivers are forbidden from doing it, and it wouldn't make sense to do it under the old rules, so it may not be specifically banned?)

Parc Ferme rules imposed after Quali probably excludes adding, or changing, anything without permission, so I think it would lead to disqualification.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »

I've just realised that tyre ( or Tire if you prefer) warmers are banned next year so the first lap or two on fresh rubber should be interesting.  ;)

The use of both compounds still stands so everyone has to make at least one stop.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »
Parc fermé rules specifically permit addition and subtraction of fuel. All three qualifying sessions will be done on low fuel, but the refuelling rate is stuck at 0.8 litres/second and you can't use the refuellers seen in 2009. You can't do a pitstop-style refuelling either - it has to be done in the garage with the engine turned off.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline PoleMan

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 08:45:22 PM »
I am so pleased you all Know the Regulations

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »
We all turn to Ali for her knowledge of the rules!  :good:

One thing I'm still not sure about. It seem sure that the teams will try to cut it as closely as they can on fuel, to keep weight to a minimum. If they cut it too closely, will they be allowed to add fuel near the end of a race, or will we see cars running dry on the last lap?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

One thing I'm still not sure about. It seem sure that the teams will try to cut it as closely as they can on fuel, to keep weight to a minimum. If they cut it too closely, will they be allowed to add fuel near the end of a race, or will we see cars running dry on the last lap?

We certainly do rely on Ali's extensive knowledge and wisdom, however I think I can answer this point.

The FIA published 2010 sporting regs section 29.1(c) reads "Fuel may not be added to nor removed from a car during a race". Therefore we could well see cars running out of fuel, or at least slowing down at the finish of a race.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 03:29:57 PM »

It's a shame the FIA doesn't turn to her as well.  I would nominate her for permanent steward if I could.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle