collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 313
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Schumacher comeback in Mercedes' Silver Arrow  (Read 8572 times)

Offline littledave

Re: Schumacher comeback in Mercedes' Silver Arrow
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
I just hope he doesn't embarrass himself. His last two seasons were far from his best. Now, he's even older and out of practice. I've seen too many sports where former champs came back long past their prime, with sad results.

As much  I am against this happening, it will be interesting to see what happens.

If he were to fail, he will last a season if that, cause they might was well get someone fresh in the seat. But he could find his magic of old and be right on the pace. However The Ferraris, McLaren and Red Bulls will be the ones to watch and will be a huge hurdle!

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

On the plus side seeing Alonso kick Shueys arse in A Ferrarri. Mint. :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »
We really don't want one driver to be the center of the sport. Other sports have done that and suffered when that person retired. NBA ratings and attendance tanked when Micheal Jordan retired. The same thing happens with golf matches when Tiger doesn't play.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
We really don't want one driver to be the center of the sport. Other sports have done that and suffered when that person retired. NBA ratings and attendance tanked when Micheal Jordan retired. The same thing happens with golf matches when Tiger doesn't play.

There just needs to be a succession.  Basketball had Wilt Chamberlain, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant.  Obviously some people are going to be bigger than others.  One could certainly argue that Lewis Hamilton is the next 'Michael Schumacher'  (I don't want to start the argument on merit, Hamilton is the most famous in Canada).

Formula One's biggest problem is that it is an international sport with regional support.  Schumacher became a champion when the Germans didn't care about F1 as a whole.  Now there's 5+ Germans on the grid.  Alonso's success was unheard of in Spain, and now they have more races than anyone.

It's hard to produce a strong personality who appeals to everyone.  It's harder when there's only a handful of truly competitive drivers year after year.

I think the key to success for F1 is to develop more successful TEAMS.  Just about everyone knows what Ferrari is, and most people watching an F1 race for the first time will find that familiar name to cheer for.  That's the real tragedy of the manufacturers failing so badly - I know what a Toyota is, and I'm happy to cheer them on to last place.  I have no idea what Campos is, and I'm an F1 fan.

So until that happens, Schumacher is money in the bank for F1.  They have three years to create a new identity.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »

He's back where he belongs in an F1 car, nuff said! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

FW14B

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »
I don't care if it's a step back or if he dominates the media attention, any of that is irrelevant.  Schumi is back in an F1 car for another season after his career was brought to an abrupt end first time round.  I am so excited to see so many exciting battles within teams and overall, 2010 just appears to have so much going for it.  Keep out the politics and I think it will be a classic.  Seeing Schumacher come back just tops it off for me and has cheered me up no end, and being a Williams fan saying that (given his track record of driving into our cars) is surely something?!

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 09:22:16 PM »
 :yahoo:  :yahoo:  I'm praying for him to kick some butt, welcome back the master.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »
I think I have mentioned once or twice that I think he is a cheat but to move on......
He was a great driver and he got out when he was on top. I honestly do not think he was that good. He was beaten by many drivers in the same machinery. He cheated his way to two of the championships, was gifted at least two by team orders and was lucky to be in a dominent team backed by a master tactician and the biggest financial package ever seen in F1.
I think he is going to come back and be a mid-pack driver.
As for him being a crowd puller, well he isn't and he never has been. The Tiffosi will mob any driver that can get a Scarlet car to the front but Schumi didn't have any more followers than any of the other top drivers. If you want a definition of a crowd puller look at Rossi in Moto GP. He can ride any make of bike in any country and there will be a sea of yellow to welcome him.

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 10:16:37 AM »
Another top crowd puller on two wheels was the road racer Joey Dunlop. If you get the chance to watch the DVD on his life and death it's superb viewing.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 05:55:25 PM »
I think I have mentioned once or twice that I think he is a cheat but to move on......
He was a great driver and he got out when he was on top. I honestly do not think he was that good. He was beaten by many drivers in the same machinery. He cheated his way to two of the championships, was gifted at least two by team orders and was lucky to be in a dominent team backed by a master tactician and the biggest financial package ever seen in F1.
I think he is going to come back and be a mid-pack driver.
As for him being a crowd puller, well he isn't and he never has been. The Tiffosi will mob any driver that can get a Scarlet car to the front but Schumi didn't have any more followers than any of the other top drivers. If you want a definition of a crowd puller look at Rossi in Moto GP. He can ride any make of bike in any country and there will be a sea of yellow to welcome him.

Monty you are seriously anti-Schumi so much so you cannot see the wood for the trees!!
When he went Ferrari they were doing nothing even the mighty Mansel could not bring them to the top but Schumi did, I do not pretend he was an angel but his driving is up there with the greats. He will only be mid pack if the car is a dog.
Only time will tell. When it was threatened he was going to replace Massa ticket sales boomed.

Has the testing started yet? :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
I really do not care if Schumacher does well or falls on his cheating ar*e. I'm just sick of hearing about him. I acknowledged that he was one of the greats, but the key word here is of course was. There are a lot of better drivers in the pack and F1 isn't about one driver.
I stand by everything I said. MS being involved with F1 will please many Germans and of course, like all the other drivers, he has many dedicated fans. However, him being involved will not make F1 better, I am sure he will not be competitive (if he is I can stand a few people saying 'I told you so') and he cannot change the fact that he cheated his way to at least two WDC titles.

david1275

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
I heard Michael thinks you a hell of a guy Monty.  :DD :DD

I too hope he isn't competetive, because the Ferrari's will be busy kickin' his ass!!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
I can't see Michael being as competitive as he hopes to be. Whether he will be competitive enough to, for example, prevent a defeat by Rosberg is another matter (as in, he may still be competitive enough to help Mercedes in terms of his results whilst still slow enough to disappoint himself). I'm hoping the neck doesn't curtail his return but it's too early to completely rule that out.

Basically, I'm not convinced he's as good as Heidfeld (who was vying for the Mercedes seat) but I'm also not convinced that he's so bad he necessarily can't perform in F1 at all any more. What I am convinced about is that he will not be happy at the end of the season.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Basically, I'm not convinced he's as good as Heidfeld (who was vying for the Mercedes seat) but I'm also not convinced that he's so bad he necessarily can't perform in F1 at all any more. What I am convinced about is that he will not be happy at the end of the season.

Alas, BrawnGP, McLaren and Ferrari managed to show how much more important the car is than the driver in modern F1 racing.  (Of course, Alonso and Kimi and their rotating cast of teammates did demonstrate the difference between a capable and a great driver.)  That is to say, I don't know that Quick Nick or Schumacher would provide much of a difference in success on track.  However, Schumacher is going to provide a much greater difference off the track (i.e., sponsorship money).

At what level do you believe Schumacher would consider himself successful?  Top driver on the third place team?  At least 2 wins among a dozen podiums? 

Conversely, would he quit the rest of his contract if outperformed by Rosberg?  Even if he finishes second in the WDC?  (The 'neck pain' certainly gives him an honourable out.  I hope he doesn't complain about his neck after a weak race performance, but if he used it at the end of a dismal season, I'd accept that.)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle