Everything Else > General Automotive

Tesla Market Value Surpasses 1 Trillion

<< < (2/2)

cosworth151:
Remember that this value has nothing to do with reality, just Wall Street speculation. These are the same people who brought us the Tech Bubble, the Dot Com Bubble, the Real Estate Bubble and so on. Welcome to the Battery Bubble.

Warmwater:
Andy:
The problem with hydrogen is that it is expensive to extract from, for example, H20. It is relatively easy to obtain it from natural gas, but that puts you back in the petroleum loop. The hydrogen also has to be highly compressed, a pretty dangerous operation that then requires a heavy fuel tank. Needless to say, there is no existing delivery infrastructure, safety would be a problem.
The battery company that I worked for had a hydrogen fuel cell division, Ballard Power Systems. Their target was the public transit market and they had a few buses on trial in several large North American cities. They also had testing contracts with major automobile manufacturers. I believe that they eventually went bankrupt.
I agree that hydrogen could be a perfect fuel if the problems ever get resolved.  :DntKnw:

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Warmwater on October 30, 2021, 09:50:32 PM ---Andy:
The problem with hydrogen is that it is expensive to extract from, for example, H20. It is relatively easy to obtain it from natural gas, but that puts you back in the petroleum loop. The hydrogen also has to be highly compressed, a pretty dangerous operation that then requires a heavy fuel tank. Needless to say, there is no existing delivery infrastructure, safety would be a problem.
The battery company that I worked for had a hydrogen fuel cell division, Ballard Power Systems. Their target was the public transit market and they had a few buses on trial in several large North American cities. They also had testing contracts with major automobile manufacturers. I believe that they eventually went bankrupt.
I agree that hydrogen could be a perfect fuel if the problems ever get resolved.  :DntKnw:

--- End quote ---

Here in NZ we have a aluminium smelter at Tewai Point which Rio Tinto are to close down around 2024 this has its own hydro power plant at Manapouri which is not part of the national grid and would cost billions to add it to the system. One investigation currently undergoing is for Tewai Point to produce Hydrogen as that process uses a lot of power as does the smelter.
It would be good for the region and NZ if it comes off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version