collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2022 Australia Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1135 times)

Online Jericoke

2022 Australia Heroes and Zeroes
« on: April 10, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
Heroes

LeClerc.  Perfect weekend.  Ferrari gave him the car, and he did everything he could with it.

Mercedes.  EVERYONE says they're struggling and having a tough 2022, yet lead the championship.  I wish when I 'struggled' I was on top!  Bonus: half the points paying cars had Mercedes engines

Albon.  Managed to squeeze a point out of a tough weekend.  He's rough around the edges as a driver, but he's got the skill, and the team strategy, to do well.

Zeroes

Red Bull Power Trains.  Not sure if it was the RBR team, or the RBPT that caused Max's problems, but the reigning champion is driving better this year than he did in 2021, and he's not got the reliability he needs to repeat.

Laurence Stroll. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, just the rumours that leak out.  He took a team that was known for 'punching above weight' and turned it into an absolute joke.  From what I hear he's micromanaging.  I know that it's possible for owners to run a successful F1 team:  Enzo, Chapman, Williams, McLaren, Toto et al.  However most modern F1 owners are content to sit back and let the people they do the job they've been hired to do. 

Lance Stroll.  I'm Canadian, and love to support a Canadian driver.  Stroll is a good racer.  He's fast enough to be in F1.  He's shown the ability to start well, set pole times, and fight with the best.  But his race craft just isn't there.  I suspect that Vettel was brought in to help Lance with that, but I feel that Vettel has much the same issue as Stroll:  he can drive a great car with great skill, but when he needs to get in and dirty, he doesn't have that skill set either.

Latifi. Another Canadian I wish I could say nice things about.  I feel like he's under pressure to 'prove' he belongs in F1, which is just leading to mistake after mistake.  I don't know that he's proven he belongs in F1 (like Lance), but I also think, like Albon needs a solid boost to his confidence.

Other

Max, Alonso and Sainz had great weekends, and just suffered from some awful luck.  It's part of the sport, but makes them hard to qualify as heroes (which they should be) or zeroes (which represents their actual results)

I loved on the opening laps watching the Ferraris and Mercedes 'porpoising' while the Red Bulls were rock solid smooth.

Offline Scott

Re: 2022 Australia Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 03:07:35 PM »
I'll add that I think Sainz got a little carried away after he made such a bad start and overdrove the car until his retirement.  Stay Calm and Manage Things Slowly (probably not something you can expect many racers to pay attention to).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 06:19:25 PM »
I'll give a zero to Lewis for whining about George being ahead like it was a strategy call by Merc instead of due to the timing of the yellow and pace car.

For bad luck Alonso was headed for a top 4 start at least, when his Alpine gave up and put him into the wall in Q1.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 04:43:11 PM »
For bad luck Alonso was headed for a top 4 start at least, when his Alpine gave up and put him into the wall in Q1.

That was weird.  He couldn’t seem to get it below 4th gear.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 06:17:24 PM »
The engine shut down, so he lost engine braking and hydraulic pressure.
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 10:03:11 PM »
I'll give a zero to Lewis for whining about George being ahead like it was a strategy call by Merc instead of due to the timing of the yellow and pace car.

LH was not complaining about GR but the fact the team said the car was overheating and they needed him to cool it down which was compromising his race.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2022, 06:00:00 PM »
I must say I cheered again when Max rolled to a stop.
Thrilled for Leclerc, great win and nice to see him get a win-able car.
Carlos seems to not have a handle on the Ferrari like Charles does. I hope he gets is soon.
Merc have been having a hard time but the boys got a great result even with the less then impressive cars.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle