collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vegas Baby  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Robem64

Vegas Baby
« on: March 31, 2022, 08:26:24 AM »

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Jericoke

Re: Vegas Baby
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 03:39:40 PM »
Hopefully replacing the Saudi Grand Prix  :D

Offline Willy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 07:40:23 PM »
Hopefully.

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 07:53:09 PM »
I'd have rather had F1 go back to Indy or Watkin's Glen
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 08:29:02 PM »
I'd have rather had F1 go back to Indy or Watkin's Glen

I was hoping with new management at Indy that something would come up.  But I can appreciate they don't want to pay Formula One fees when they can do pretty good with a few IndyCar and NASCAR races already.

I'd love Watkin's Glen, but it doesn't fit the 'super glitz' that F1 seems to be going for these days.

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 09:21:16 PM »
Many US cities would be too dangerous. Inner cities
where the street races would be held is where the high
murder rates are.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 01:16:53 PM »
Maybe Vegas was afraid it might lose its long held title of Worst F1 Circuit Ever now that Miami is having its own Car Park Prix.

Liberty has apparently decided that the only thing that matters is pretty buildings in the background (and, of course, big money from dictators). The racing is just a distant afterthought.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 02:11:13 PM »
Maybe Vegas was afraid it might lose its long held title of Worst F1 Circuit Ever now that Miami is having its own Car Park Prix.

Liberty has apparently decided that the only thing that matters is pretty buildings in the background (and, of course, big money from dictators). The racing is just a distant afterthought.

Americans are well known for only partying in big cities, like Coachella, a mere 3 hours from Los Angeles, Burning Man, a quick 9 hour drive from Las Vegas or of course Woodstock, just two hours outside New York City (and also on the way to Watkins Glen, not that anyone in F1 asked)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 04:00:48 PM »
Sebring, 3 hours from Miami.
Laguna Seca, 1.5 hours from San Francisco, 4 hours from LA.

And trust me, party wise, Cochella & Burning Man can't hold a candle to Green Park, in the north end of the infield at Sebring. The race was cancelled in 1974 due to the 1st Great Gas Gouge. Around 3,000 people still showed up just to party in Green Park.

Besides, everybody in this part of the country tries to get as far away from big cities as we can.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 04:02:43 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 01:04:23 PM »
A night race with all that neon. Ooooooh glitzy!
Everything to do with image and viewers and not caring about racing.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 08:19:43 PM »
A night race with all that neon. Ooooooh glitzy!
Everything to do with image and viewers and not caring about racing.

I'll admit, the flashy signs/lit buildings in the mid east races are pretty cool to look at, and the architecture around Marina Bay is great. 

But some races need to be just about racing.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 07:25:52 AM »

I'll admit, the flashy signs/lit buildings in the mid east races are pretty cool to look at, and the architecture around Marina Bay is great. 

But some races need to be just about racing.

To be honest, notwithstanding my terrible memory,  the only views of race venues I can actually remember in any detail after a race are on the track. La Source and Eau Rouge being the prime example. There are of course plenty of others.

We already have a race that only exists for the glamour - Monaco. And at least that's often a thrilling race because it doesn't give an inch. All the greats have come unstuck there at some point or other.

These new glitzy race tracks might look good as a backdrop during the race (usually night races) but they're forgotten about the moment the race is finished. It's a bunch of lights and "cool" looking buildings with no history, meaning or value. Might as well be photoshopped...  :D

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 03:10:25 PM »
Those of us on GP Wizard are already F1 fans and do not need to be attracted to the sport by flashy night races and exotic locations.
These types of tracks and locations are aimed at attracting newer, younger potential fans who need to be entertained every. damn. second. or they lose focus and wander off.
Case in point: have you noticed all the amusement park rides that are around those tracks to keep the masses entertained and staying put when there are not loud, fast, shiny things streaking past them.
I have not seen a Ferris-wheel being built at Monaco or Spa.
I do notice them at every new track that pops up on the calendar.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 03:58:53 PM »
I like the idea of Vegas and so long as it stays there for a bunch of years, will certainly make the trip to see a race.

First of all, there is the ease of getting there.  Flights land from all over north america every few minutes and are cheap as heck.  Secondly, there are 150,000 hotel rooms in Vegas, and the majority of them are also cheap as heck due to massive competition.  Finally, Vegas is a blast, for about 3-4 days - a perfect race weekend.  Lots to do, lots to see - overload of the senses already, and throw in an F1 race and well...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle