collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 221
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Miami GP be cancelled?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Will Miami GP be cancelled?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 05:19:04 PM »
Did Liberty really think that they could plop an F1 race in the middle of a high-priced neighborhood in the most litigious country in history and not get sued? That's another advantage to putting races at real race tracks.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »
Looking under the table I think the race will
proceed.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 04:57:24 PM »
How many actual Miami residents actually follow F1 and want a race in their city?
I bet the number is pretty low.

It comes as no surprise they would put up a fight and I wonder who's palms were greased to get council approval in the 1st place.
It's always about the money.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 06:37:16 PM »
Did Liberty really think that they could plop an F1 race in the middle of a high-priced neighborhood in the most litigious country in history and not get sued? That's another advantage to putting races at real race tracks.

Remember when Spa was shut down because people who moved next to a racetrack were annoyed there was racing at said track?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/noise-row-temporarily-closes-spa-4433001/4433001/

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 10:13:28 PM »
Lucky for the Miami residents the F1 cars are much quieter now than in the old V8/10/12 days.  ;) They'd really have summat to complain about with the old time noise monsters.  :D

I thought they'd taken the race into the confines of the Stadium grounds and surrounding car parks precisely to get city approval.  :confused:
Not sure the race days will cause much more noise than the Stadium does normally when its packed to the gunwales for matches.

Mind you there's always people who feel they have a right to object to others having fun, even if it's just for a few days.  :(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 09:15:18 PM »
Pretty sure Liberty did what they and their predecesors usually do - assume the organisers would sort out all known and potential problems as and when they arose. The organiser did a very bad job here, because they knew most of the people in this area were against the idea before they proposed it (basically, a lot of people in that district rely on public transport, so tying the streets up in a motor race for 3 days significantly reduces locally-orientated retail traffic and cuts off a bunch of people from the rest of Miami). They're also resentful about the stadium, which many regard as having gone through despite their protests (unlike the Spa example, many of the protestors here are the exact same people - or descendents of the same people - who opposed the stadium being built in the first place, and have continued to protest the stadium since - including getting a game involving Manchester United due to play at the stadium cancelled last year).

Historically their voices have been less heard than those of other areas, which is why the council opted to park the race there after their first 2 attempts were protested and defunded (forget which way round it was, but I'm pretty sure those reasons lost 1 Miami proposal each). Essentially, the city approval improvement was not entirely founded on the infrastructure or regular noise levels (both of which would legitimately improve the area's suitability for a F1 race), but also on hoping residents would be less effective at stopping the proposal. This appears to be backfiring.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 10:51:18 PM »
When I was a kid many many years ago I lived within
walking distance where the State Fair was held,
baseball and football games were held, and late model
stocks car raced every Friday and Saturday night. I never
heard anyone complain then. People need to chill a bit.

Two many's are enough John don't add any more please.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2022, 03:10:41 AM »
I used to be the race director for Friday night and Sunday afternoon R/C races back in the 80's. We had a cheap PA system ( mostly Radio Shack) that I thought was marginal for volume but the people in houses over a block away complained and we got disturbing the peace warnings from the cops more than once.   >:D
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2022, 08:44:07 PM »
It seems Miami race for this year now has the green light. Next year may be a different matter.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/judge-clears-the-final-legal-roadblock-for-the-miami-grand-prix/
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 04:59:28 AM »
According to PitPass.com General Admission tickets are $300 for Friday and $900 for Saturday or Sunday. F1 is certainly pricing me out of the market.
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 02:09:58 PM »
$900! for two days?
Then you can shell out for $20 beer and overpriced crappy food.
MMMMM sign me up.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 02:38:21 PM »
And that just gets you in the gate, no seating included. I think parking is extra, too. Looks like they will be the equal of Monaco in one respect $$$$.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 06:15:26 PM »
A big problem for me with such prices is that it makes it impossible to bring the whole family. For myself I could still afford that as a one off expense. But bringing my two kids as well is impossible (even if they get half price tickets?). You risk losing a generation, although maybe that's why they've become all social media friendly. Maybe in the future weekends will be a set of ultra short sprints to fit into Tik-Tok!  :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 09:11:54 PM »
$900! for two days?
Then you can shell out for $20 beer and overpriced crappy food.
MMMMM sign me up.

I think it's $900 each.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle