F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Ferrari's Flexi Wings

(1/1)

davewilson:
Wizard,
Can you please tell me where we stand with this issue.It seems that other teams are going to adopt them in the near future.I was under the impression that they were against  regulations,but Ferrari still have got them,and judging by Schumachers back to back victories there just might be something in them not taking away the fact  of his great talent of course.
Dave

Wizzo:

Honda reportedly filed a complaint against the 'Prancing Horse' after providing video evidence of their rear-wing flexing at speed giving them less drag along the straight, something that Ross Brawn responded to by insisting that he can prove all of the cars do that.

Nonetheless, Honda says that the argument has been blown out of proportion and that their complaint has gone no further than getting clarification from race director Charlie Whiting about the legality of the wings.

It's a little bit of a game generally with technical advances in Formula One, when a team has a clever idea, or they think somebody else has got a clever idea, they either try and do it themselves or if they think it's close enough to a grey area they ask the right sort of question to the FIA, so it either gets stopped for everybody or permitted for everybody.

FIA have ruled, saying that the Ferrari wings were within the regulations. This ruling has now prompted other teams to consider altering their aerodynamic wings.

Personally I think F1 cars are the pinnacle of car design and if a team can design a wing, (flexi or not), that improves performance within the size constraints set by the FIA then they should be allowed to use it.

However, F1 engineers being what they are, always find a solution to any problem or performance reduction rule that the FIA throw at them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version