collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 322
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Views on the Spanish GP  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Views on the Spanish GP
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
Well what a satisfying result :D

Thumbs up to:-  :good:

Alonso - Perfect drive, what an overtake on lap 1 turn 3 to set up his win.

Massa - Great result for Massa to finish on the podium.

Kimi - Another solid result, will push Seb and Fernando all the way.

Bernie - For "picking" Fernando to win in the pre-race build up ;) Couldn't resist this one

Thumbs down:- (Where is the thumbs down smiley?)

McLaren - Just poor

Mercedes - Stop eating your tyres so much!

Online Dare

Re: Views on the Spanish GP
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:44:51 PM »
Thumbs up

Alonso,Massa and Ferrari--near perfect weekend

Vettel--did the best he could with what he had

Kimi--great race,as usual.He and Alonso are the 2 best drivers

Rosberg-at least he did make it 2 for 4 for pole position

Thumbs down

Williams--saying their new car sucks is way to kind

Mercedes-you have engineers right,let them fix the 3 years plus
                tire problem

Caterham--cars run better with the wheels on

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
Thumbs up  :good:  :

Everyone from Maranello.

Gutierrez and Sauber - Fast Lap and actually lead at one point. Just missed scoring a point.

Kimi & Lotus - Lotus might well have had 2 cars in the points if not for Grosjean's incident.

Pirelli - Drivers & designers now have to take tire wear into consideration.

Thumbs Down   :tease:  :

McLaren - I wonder if the new nose wing would have helped.

Mercedes - Dr. Z was on hand this weekend. I wonder if Macca will leave Merc or if Merc will just leave.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
I wouldn't give Pirelli a thumbs up for their
degrading tires,it's taking the racing out of F1.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
IMHO it's adding to the racing. The drivers now have to take tire management into consideration once again. It's one more variable that is at the drivers command. It's similar to endurance racing, where the driver must balance raw speed against the need to make the car last for the entire race.

For example, I once saw a film on Jim Clark. One of the engineers from Lotus said that Clark had the best tire management of any driver he'd ever seen. No matter what the circumstances, when Clark would pit, all four tires would have almost exactly equal wear. That's the kind of skill these tires require of a driver.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »
I only managed to see bits and pieces, but I got two more points than I've had all season so far, so at least I had a better day than Mercedes and Mclaren.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »
It wasn't a thriller, but I was more engaged than otherwise would have been the case because of Alonso's opening lap, and the fact that he led so easily, which I hadn't expected.  The rest was pretty run of the mill stuff to be honest, with precious little action of any kind.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:58 PM »
I was bored stiff for most of the race (fortunately I had a good book about gravity to keep me away from my computer!) because everything seemed to be telegraphed a long way in advance.

Heroes

Fernando Alonso - for being brilliant with the fans and showing how much he welcomed their passion. Oh, and in the middle of all that, he may have done a wonderful 305 km of driving...

Paul di Resta and Nico Rosberg - for stopping me from getting completely bored at the end, by providing some proper racing.

Mark Webber - for a nice "double interview" with Fernando Alonso in the BBC pre-race build-up.

Zeroes

BBC commentators/FOM race direction - I was bemused as to how it was possible for a group of experienced, intelligent commentators to miss so much of the narrative of how the race unfolded... ...then I realised they were being hampered spectacularly by the camera editing crew preferring to broadcast non sequiter shots of cars on their own, even when battles were well underway. The nadir was when they spent about 3 laps watching Massa in the midst of the Rosberg/di Resta battle referenced in "Heroes". If it had been race leader and local hero Alonso, I might have understood...

Mercedes - Those big round things are not points bubbles, no need to go all Pac-Man and devour them. Getting overtaken by blue (Williams) "ghosts" is also more Pac-Man than F1. And nobody, but nobody, should ever have cause to wail, "I can't goooooo any sloooooower..." in the middle of a Grand Prix!

Pastor Maldonado - I'm willing to give him some credit for giving Hamilton a fright (Pastor overtaking Hamilton contributed to the aforementioned wail), but it looked like he was trying to do the Time Warp down the pitlane during his first pitstop. Just to make it worse, he "lost the beat" by quick-stepping in the wrong place.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 06:08:41 AM »
Well pretty much all of the things that should be said, is being said. I would like to add only a little..

I think Daniel Riccardo did have another excellent race and putting Jean E Vergne & Mark Webber under pressure for a next seat in the RBR team. In a Toro Rosso he did a great of job of both Qualifying and running a good race, though almost in the verge of being taken out by Hulkenberg. If RBR is not pursuing for Kimi, I think Daniel Riccardo should replace Mark in the RBR.

And Nico Hulkenberg in the pits, what was he trying to do, could have dabbed the brakes and avoided a pit-lane collision, and could have managed a possible point scoring position. That was erratic, childish and put simply stupid.

I don't know why are people so worried about degradation, specially the fans. Because it spices the race up. I can understand the frustration of RBR, because it means they cannot dominate anymore, but just look at the other side of the coin, Kimi being 3 point off the leader, shows it is still possible to be able to race with tyre management. And more so it evens out the field, and cut the domination of Red Bull, how come that is bad, until and unless you are a blind RBR fan.

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »

And Nico Hulkenberg in the pits, what was he trying to do, could have dabbed the brakes and avoided a pit-lane collision, and could have managed a possible point scoring position. That was erratic, childish and put simply stupid.

Can't blame Nico for the problem in the pits.  He has to trust the team that when it's time to go, it's time to go.  He can't see the incoming car, he can't know when an incoming car will slow down or stop.  On top of that, he's going through the takeoff procedure, and ensuring his car doesn't stall.

I'm glad F1 takes 'unsafe release' very seriously, there are so many people around, unprotected. 

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »

Can't blame Nico for the problem in the pits.  He has to trust the team that when it's time to go, it's time to go.  He can't see the incoming car, he can't know when an incoming car will slow down or stop.  On top of that, he's going through the takeoff procedure, and ensuring his car doesn't stall.

I'm glad F1 takes 'unsafe release' very seriously, there are so many people around, unprotected.

Come on Jeri, it was not immediately after the release and a few dab in the brake pedal would have saved him from this embarrassment.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
You don't dab the brakes on an F1 car exiting the pit stall, or at such low RPM it will stall. The teams, FIA and drivers seem to be in agreement it's up to the team to release the car safely. I agree with Jeri, no fault to Nico here, fault to the jack man or whoever tells the driver to go.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
The driver relies on the lollypop man, or whomever is working the release light, for a safe release. The driver probably can't see the incoming traffic until it's too late.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
The driver can only take his direction from the lolipop man on a release and has to believe he has a clear exit. He is not looking in his mirror to second guess a release decision. No time for that.
Nico did no wrong.

vintly

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
It was really hot, and the views were on the whole very good.   :tease:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle