F1 News & Discussions > F1 Teams

Andretti Submits F1 Entry

(1/2) > >>

cosworth151:
It's more than a rumor this time. Michael Andretti has submitted an entry for Andretti Global to race in Formula 1 starting in 2024.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a39141913/michael-andretti-submits-entry-new-f1-team-2024/

John S:
Whilst we the fans would welcome Andretti's team will any of the other teams already in F1?  :DntKnw:

If meaningful payments from Liberty to teams ends at 10th place in constructors championship, (I'm not sure this still exists in concorde), which team owner will vote for jeopardy of a drop to the bottom?

Cost cap means owners are sitting on appreciating assets and they wont want to give away equity built up.

Anyway the FIA is saying there's no opening, well according to Therace.com.

An FIA spokesperson told The Race (the-race,com): “The FIA is not currently in a position to consider or comment on any expressions of interest or applications received from potential new entrant teams in respect of the FIA Formula One World Championship.”

The race goes on: There have been multiple expressions of interest in joining the F1 grid in the last few years but F1 and the FIA have been dismissive of public declarations of intent from both Panthera Team Asia and a Campos/Monaco fund tie-up.

While F1 has always attracted interested parties, recent projects have been enthusiastically launched because of changes made to make running a team more viable.

Further proof of that is in the anti-dilution fund introduced as part of the new Concorde Agreement in 2020, which demands any new team pay a $200m fee that would be shared among existing entrants, as compensation for having an 11th team taking a share of F1’s revenues.

F1 is not believed to be entirely against welcoming a new team. But it would need an emphatic case to be made given the efforts undertaken, particularly amid the coronavirus pandemic, to secure the future of the existing teams and increase their value longer-term.

So I reckon that's a no then, til maybe 2026 and the new engine ruleset, etc.

Jericoke:
F1 is so weird.  Adding a team in most sports brings in a new location, fan base, media contracts, corporate sponsors.  yet in F1 a new team may not bring any of that to the table.  The locations and fan base are generally dictated by race location and driver nationality (with the exception of Ferrari).

While the talk of Andretti bringing an 'American' team to the sport, there is an American team.  Gene Haas may not be as much a household name as Andretti, but 'Andretti' isn't going to bring in fans on name alone either.  I'm guessing that most Andretti fans are already F1 fans.  Until Americans have an American team/driver winning, F1 will remain the domain of 'race fans'. 

So I'm personally excited to see Andretti in F1.  I think more teams is better.  I'd HOPE that Andretti has their ducks in a row and enter the sport on a competitive level.  Certainly following the Haas model of using as many supplied parts as possible, and working closely with an existing team (how is their relationship with McLaren these days?) would be a good way to enter the sport.

Even though F1 wants more American audience/money, it is a big ask for the teams to expect Andretti to bring it, with the very real risk of Andretti simply taking their piece of a pie that doesn't grow at all.

cosworth151:
How about an Andretti-Alpine?

https://racer.com/2022/02/21/alpine-could-be-open-to-supporting-andretti-if-needed/

Another rule that Haas took advantage of was having a third party, Dallara, build the chassis. I think the rule also states that any such 3rd party can only supply one team, so Andretti would have to look elsewhere.

If Liberty really wants to build a fan base here in the States, they might want to move the Miami Car Park Prix up the road to Sebring. The Destination City Parking Lot Race has been tried before, at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. It really, really sucked.

lkjohnson1950:
Sebring is so rough, it would take millions to ready it for F1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version