collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel retires  (Read 997 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Vettel retires
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 07:05:47 PM »
It makes sense. I'll miss Seb. He has contributed much to F1, defined half a decade with his successes, spent another half-decade helping Ferrari to get where it is today (even if his own title challenges didn't work out) and he's done some good solid activism at Aston Martin.

I look forward to seeing what he does next, but whatever combination of occupations it is, I am sure "Dad" will be top of the list.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »
Well it's started silly season off as far as 'who goes where in 23'.

Can't say it's really a suprise, had the car allowed him to reguarly be in the points it may have kept him on the grid. Seems Team forced his hand to announce now, obviously they want plenty of time sort out replacement - or are they simply wanting to throw a wobbly in the driver market?  :D 

I've never really been a fan & can never forgive him over Multi 21 & other things as I am still fimly in the Webber camp, having said that he clearly has talent & deserved his seat in the various teams.
Also roll my eyes at his so called activism, just wish racers would turn up & race leaving other stuff for the times in between if they insist on doing it.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 04:48:21 PM »
I like Seb and will miss him on the grid.
He has always stood his ground and has not been afraid to say what he thinks.
He has 4 WC under his belt but spent a number of years helping develop crap cars and rebuild teams. It must not be much fun in the Stroll team for him and he is right to get out.
I hope he now find another passion to fill his life.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 04:02:55 PM »
A bit of irony - The picture that popped up in the Gallery window when I clicked into this topic was my favorite picture of Seb. It's the one I took on Friday morning at the 2007 USGP. He'd just been tapped to start his first F1 race substituting for Kubica.

https://www.gpwizard.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=897

I'll miss him. 4 WDC's say more about his driving skills than I could ever put into words. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 02:18:12 PM »
Certainly Vettel was a tremendous driver, 4 WDC don't just happen, especially when your teammate is Mark Webber who could easily have won those championships if Vettel wasn't up for the fight.

I was never a fan of his though, maybe I just liked to 'hate' him and never got past that.  I do like how he used his time at Aston Martin to become more outspoken.  I presume those opinions weren't out of nowhere, and were being stifled by Ferrari.  I appreciate these elite athletes using their positions to try and change the world.  I'm definitely not part of the 'shut up and drive (play)' crowd that feels there's no place for politics in sports.  Even if the athletes aren't the most informed, they've got the bulliest of pulpits, and good on them to use it.  As good as Vettel's career stats are, I hope that he's helped open the flood gates for drivers to continue to be 'engaged'.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle