collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hot Rod Your Renault Dauphine  (Read 2336 times)

Offline cosworth151

Hot Rod Your Renault Dauphine
« on: December 14, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »
If you grew up a gearhead here in the States, you've probably seen a J.C. Whitney catalog. They have almost anything you can think of for your car. Even a chrome donkey with light up eyes that looked out of you back window. His eyes blinked in time with the turn signals.

This was a kit they offered to hot up your Renault Dauphine/Caravelle/Gordini. It promised a 10% increase in horsepower.  In the real world, that would have taken it from 32 hp to a blazing 36.2 ponies!

I know that Dare had a Dauphine back in the day. So did a high school buddy of mine.

https://autoweek.com/article/classic-ads/1971-piston-kit-gets-your-renaults-engine-whopping-09-liter

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Warmwater

Re: Hot Rod Your Renault Dauphine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
I had a new Dauphine in 1959. At first it was good, very light and inexpensive (about $1300.00). I was 18 with a boy-racer mentality, had a pilot's license, a Harley-Davidson, a Triumph Bonneville, and a hydroplane. The Renault engineers apparently didn't take exuberant driving style into consideration. The first problem was that the independent rear suspension would "tuck under" during cornering, and with the heavy rear end, the result was often an impressive spin. In an attempt to counteract this, larger wheels and tires were mounted on the rear, but then the wheel bearings had to be replaced every few weeks. During cold weather the cables to the clutch and throttle would freeze solid, car was not usable until the temperature warmed. Another interesting quirk was that the fuel line connection at the carburetor wound pop out during hard acceleration, blowing fuel directly onto the exhaust manifold. Ultimately this led to the death of the Dauphine when it burned to the ground, it was less than a year old. Other than these minor faults, it was a fine automobile and would actually beat a Volkswagen in any kind of race.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Online Dare

Re: Hot Rod Your Renault Dauphine
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »
Bought my used when I was 16. Two weeks later
riding down the road I heard a poof and when I
looked in the rear mirror flames were shooting out
of the back. Where I bought it repaired it free but it
didn't last much longer. Might be one of the reasons
Renault's aren't sold in the US
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle