collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 603
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why F1 Stewards are allowing cars to be run out of road at corner exit this term  (Read 876 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Q. Wonder why all the forcing off track at Silverstone went unpunished? 

A. Change in rules of combat for drivers this season.

Seems though, as ever, it's clear as mud.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 09:59:32 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

I feel like this is a 'no win' sort of rule.

Plenty of participants and fans feel these moves are just 'part of racing', and penalizing drivers for hard driving will sterilize the sport into a dull Sunday drive.

However, plenty of participants and fans feel that if there is no fair racing, where every driver is given a safe opportunity to defend or overtake is the heart of the sport.

Personally, I fall into the second camp, but realize that it's very difficult to establish 'blame' in all instances (as we saw in the Austrian race, the drivers themselves have a very poor understanding of where their car is exactly, and these are the best in the world).  I would like more automation for detecting when a car is being 'squeezed' unfairly.  My personal road car can tell me if there's a car in my blindspot, or I'm about to hit something while parking, why can't an F1 car do that?  Even if the drivers aren't given that info, surely the stewards would be able to make decisions with it.

Offline Monty

The old tracks (deemed unsafe for F1) have barriers that make it impossible to overtake by ‘cutting’ the corner or forcing another driver wide. I think the rules should be applied as if barriers were in place. Therefore, the overtaking car would have to be more or less fully past by the time they reach the apex.
In general; common sense prevails. But really aggressive drivers (Verstappen comes to mind) just go into the corner far too fast, get alongside or even slightly ahead of the other driver but with their car basically out of control. The other driver has no option other than to go off the track and the ‘overtake’ is deemed legal. It’s crazy!!

Offline Willy

I lay this all at the feet of the FIA in trying to fix what was a mess last season with one extremely partial Race Director and now the job being split between two who do not have the same view of rules.

Offline Alianora La Canta

One of whom can't even stick to the same rules of engagement across the same weekend...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle