collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 567
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Man arrested for singing 'Kung Fu Fighting'  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Dare

Man arrested for singing 'Kung Fu Fighting'
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »
you have to be kidding me

Singer says police questioned him after Asian man filed a race complaint

..Simon Ledger, 34, told Britain's The Sun newspaper that he and his band were performing the 1970s classic at the Driftwood Beach Bar on the Isle of Wight off the southern coast of England.

"We were performing Kung Fu Fighting, as we do during all our sets," he told the newspaper. "People of all races were loving it. Chinese people have never been offended by it before."

But Ledger told The Sun an Asian man walking by with his mother hurled an expletive and made an obscene hand gesture at the performers during the Sunday afternoon performance, then took a photo with his cell phone.

"We hadn't even seen them when we started the song. He must have phoned the police," The Sun quoted him as saying.

The man claimed he was "subjected to racial abuse," police told BBC News, and complained to the police the same evening.

'I thought it was a joke'
Ledger told The Sun that police called him later that evening — while he was eating at a Chinese restaurant — to arrange a meeting. It was at that meeting that police arrested him, Ledger said.

.The BBC report said police released Ledger after his arrest, intending to question him further at a later date.

"An investigation into this allegation is continuing to establish the full circumstances surrounding what happened," a Hampshire Constabulary spokesman told the network.

"I thought it was a joke but they were serious," Ledger told The Sun. "They seemed pretty amazed but said the law is the law and it was their duty. It's political correctness gone potty (a British term for crazy)."

The owner of the bar defended Ledger, telling the newspaper that he doesn't believe the song or the singer are racist, and that there "is no way he would abuse anyone."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

Re: Man arrested for singing 'Kung Fu Fighting'
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
This was absolutely pathetic, British people have no rights whatsoever.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
The problem isn't the rights you have or not, it is that someone has decided to tell the police how to interpret your laws (letter of the law and all that BS).  Clearly something has gone wrong in either the writing of the laws or the management of the police.

I'd be chuckling if the police started questioning me about singing a song like that (if I could sing), I certainly wouldn't take it seriously - who would?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:38:11 PM »
Mad. Absolutely freaking mad!  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:36:58 AM »
Try to buy a DVD of Disney's "Song of the South". It was removed from the catalog after it was deemed racially insulting for it's black stereotype. Worse, many American school boards have attempted to ban or restrict Twain's "Huckleberry Finn" as promoting racial stereotypes. :fool: :fool:

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
They even changed some words to My Old Kentucky Home
sung right before the start of the Kentucky Derby,ran onthe first
Saturday in May
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
Up here in Ohio, we just went with a second Official State Song. Almost nobody knows the old one, Beautiful Ohio. So the people of Ohio convinced the Legislature to name a second Official State Song: Hang On, Sloopy:yahoo:

This sounds like your police have gone as batty as ours have over here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1381373/Kung-Fu-Fighting-racist-row-Death-common-sense-police-losing-plot.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
Up here in Ohio, we just went with a second Official State Song. Almost nobody knows the old one, Beautiful Ohio. So the people of Ohio convinced the Legislature to name a second Official State Song: Hang On, Sloopy:yahoo:

Why not the much recorded "Banks of the Ohio"? I'd have thought that would be more specific to the state.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »
Hang On, Sloopy was first recorded by The McCoys, from Dayton, OH. It's been an unofficial fight song for Ohio State University since the 60's. Play it on the juke box in just about any bar in the state, and people will stand up, cheer and sing along. They'll chant O-H-I-O on the 8 beat breaks in the chorus.

Shortly after Ohio adopted Sloopy, the state of Washington voted Louie, Louie in as their state song.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle