collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 336
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 7 things you don't need anymore  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Dare

7 things you don't need anymore
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:12 AM »
My tv,dvd player,and email aren't goiny
anywhe, thank you very much

http://money.msn.com/saving-money/7-things-you-do-not-need-anymore-weston.aspx?GT1=33029

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: 7 things you don't need anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
That's a pretty silly list.

Telephone land lines power the internet by and large (private wireless has to come in the house somehow) - I see the point about mobiles vs wired telephones though.  I need my glasses to read anything on my phone, if you think I'm gonna watch a movie on it, you're nuts (keeping the TV).  Email is far better for record keeping than text messages.  Until the distributors are willing to send me a free digital copy of every DVD I own, and a hard drive to hold the data, I'm keeping my DVD player.  Until quality, quantity and reliability of TV over the internet improve, I'm not going to give up my cable/satellite for the TV signal.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »
Too right Scott, I tried sky but got fed up with keep being told ' No satellite signal.' I'm well happy with cable.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:08:04 PM »
Stupid to put both Desktop PC and TV on the same list. They are merging to be the same thing and I for one can't imagine ever not wanting to watch a film on a decent sized screen - no matter whether PC or TV.

As for a lot of the rest. Personally, I believe the only thing you should need in this day and age is a high quality internet connection. No need for Blu-ray, physical disks (except for collectors) or cable TV. This can all be fed through the internet. The only reason it isn't? Copyright and the glacial pace at which copyright holders embrace change.

I personally download nearly all of my films and stream most of my music. Sadly a lot of this is illegal, not because I don't want to pay but because:

a) it's not available legally on the net

or

b) the illegal channels offer a better service

And it's mostly b).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:52:32 PM »
#1 on my list of things I don't need: Lists of things somebody has decided I don't need!  :P

For years, solid state electronics were considered to have rendered vacuum tube obsolete. Now, tube amps are known to be the best there is, and cost a fortune.

I not only have a land line, several of the phones hooked to it still have dials.

I'm not only keeping my cd player, I'm keeping my turntable that plays 78's. I'm a great fan of jazz & blue grass. I still find 78's of stuff dating back to the 1930's that isn't available anywhere else.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
Is it just me, or are these lists written by single kids who have no idea what it takes to live a balanced life?

Sure, if I lived alone, I wouldn't need any of those things, but if I want to watch Phineas and Ferb with my son, I'm not handing him a cell phone. 

And can you imagine a superbowl party, but instead of watching the big screen together, you sit in your own home with a small screen and twitter about it?  (Okay, fine, it's kinda like F1 chat... but in Canada I'm not having an F1 party at 7 AM)

Also, I'm not giving my tween daughter a cell phone.  If she wants to talk with friends, how else can she do it without a landline?

Also, outside of the USA, video on demand is sketchy at best.  There's plenty of TV that I can't watch online.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:40 PM »

b) the illegal channels offer a better service

And it's mostly b).

Keep that up rmassart and it won't be a list of 'Don't Needs' it'll be a list of 'Not Theres'  :swoon:  :tease:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
I no longer have a "physical music collection", its all on a hard drive and the discs were Ebayed long ago. I could live happily without any of the listed and keep myself occupied, I would probably be a couple of stone lighter too because I would get up off my ass and do something else.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
I have my desktop hooked up to my 37 inch lcd.Makes watchinh
Netflix and Youtube a heck of a lot better
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »

Sorry you have to see my avatar that big!

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »

Sorry you have to see my avatar that big!

only problem is my pc desk is facing the wrong way so it
doesn't help me in the chat are forum viewing

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:31:39 AM »
1. I love my 42", it ain't going anywhere. 2. I can't hear the difference between a tube amp and a solid state, but I can hear the difference between a CD and an MP3. I'll take my CDs when I'm listening and not just providing background. 3. I have 3 terabytes of memory on my desktop and you can't get that in a laptop.  :DntKnw:

Lonny
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
2. I can't hear the difference between a tube amp and a solid state, but I can hear the difference between a CD and an MP3. I'll take my CDs when I'm listening and not just providing background.

There's no rule requiring you to have your electronic music in MP3.  Most music players support full Redbook (CD audio).  You can buy music from iTunes in an uncompressed format (it costs more -and I believe a limited selection), you can configure iTunes to rip the music in an uncompressed format.  True, the music takes up much more space, so you can't keep your entire collection on your iPod, but you can still put a dozen albums on, at full CD quality.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
I've found lots of forgotten old music on 78's I've found at yard sales and odds-n-ends shops. Too bad that kind of music will be lost in the future on failed hard drives.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »
I buy music from artists iTunes and Rhapsody and the other online services have never heard of. There's a shop called CD Baby that has wonderful music from truly independent musicians. I don't want Apple or Microsoft or some other service deciding who I can listen to.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle