collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 60 Facts about The Queen  (Read 8597 times)

Offline romephius

Re: 60 Facts about The Queen
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
I was visiting my grandfather tonight after work because he is in Brisbane, we were watching some of the jubilee celebrations on TV.  As we sat there I told him how I went to see Her Royal Majesty when she visited last year.  I can't describe the pride I felt seeing the lady I swore allegiance to when I enlisted in the army.  I am proud to be Australian, I am just as proud to be one of that incredible ladies subjects.

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 12:22:37 PM »
Weather was great for the concert - too bad it went bad for the flotilla.  Kudo's to the stage builders and the lighting guys.  Great concert.  I would have loved to have seen  it live.

Even with the weather, it was still fun to see all the boats.  TV signal or audio was often glitched probably by the wet (I would have thought the BBC could have developed some weather resistant electronics by now...what do you guys have, something like 200 days of rain each year?)  :P :P

I kept watching for those 4 black RIB's (Rigid Inflatables) that the special forces (also in black) were shadowing the Queen's Barge in (love the military tech - I bet those boats were brimming with tech and firepower)...they were always just out of sight, but occasionally a camera view would include them.  At one point one of the flotilla boats drifted a bit too close to the Royal Barge and one of the RIB's let loose a high pitched siren to get the pilot's attention to correct his course.   8)

Heckuva lady she is.  But don't forget, she's not just your Queen, Ian.   :tease: :tease:

I didn't see the horses.  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 07:05:47 PM »
There's some gee-gees on here for you Scott, just scroll down the page a bit. For the life of me though, I can't understand why it was Camilla sitting next to Her Majesty and not Prince Charles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18327711
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Ian

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
Not a bad firework display either.

Offline Scott

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »
I can't understand why it was Camilla sitting next to Her Majesty and not Prince Charles.

I think all the boys were wearing their swords (or whatever the royal word is for big knife), so maybe they couldn't sit comfortably in the carriage.  I saw whenever they had to do stairs they wobbled sideways up or down. 

Gawd Camilla's a dog - can you imagine the offspring if Charles had married her instead of Diana? 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
I think the most interesting fact is that since 1066, England has had 40 monarchs

40!

Since 1789, the Americans have had 44 presidents.

No wonder Brits think Americans are so unruly... it's taken only 40 people to steward England through 1000 years of history, while 44 people have barely gotten the USA to muddle through 220 years.

Offline Ian

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
Sabres is the word I think you're looking for Scott.  :P  :tease:

Offline Scott

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
Not a bad firework display either.

Ok, I've been hunting the web for almost half an hour now trying to come up with some video of the light show during Madness part of the concert to show anyone who missed it what a fantastic job they did (not the band, the lighting guys), but haven't found a thing.  I guess BBC is planning on re-selling the concert and have likely been prowling the net in case someone put it up there.  I think they've been learning from Bernie, because I can't find a thing.  Anyone else?

I think the show was done by these guys:

!

or these guys

Didja know the DJ with the funny helmet on is actually Canadian?

Wow - here's another one...now why can't we find the one of Buckingham Palace???

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »

Offline Dare

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:17 PM »
I think the most interesting fact is that since 1066, England has had 40 monarchs

40!

No wonder Brits think Americans are so unruly... it's taken only 40 people to steward England through 1000 years of history, while 44 people have barely gotten the USA to muddle through 220 years.

The fact that US Presidents are limited to 2 4 four year terms might have
something to do with it.After  FDR was elected to his  4th term a
amendment was passed for the two four terms to limit so as to not become
a monarchy
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 12:58:02 AM »

40!

The fact that US Presidents are limited to 2 4 four year terms might have
something to do with it.After  FDR was elected to his  4th term a
amendment was passed for the two four terms to limit so as to not become
a monarchy

I know why there is a limit on Presidents.

I just find it an amazing statistic that England has had fewer Kings/Queens in 1000 years than the USA has had presidents in 220.

(As a side note, according to Wikipedia, Queen Elizabeth II is among George Washington's closest living relatives:

HM Queen Elizabeth II is among the closest living relatives of George Washington, through their descent from Augustine Warner, Jr., Speaker of the Virginia House of Burgesses. His daughter Mildred was the grandmother of Washington, while his daughter Mary is an ancestor of the Queen's mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_relationships_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States#cite_ref-1
)

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:32 AM »
Presidents can do more damage in a 4 year term than monarchs can
in 50.I don't know how Parliament works in the UK but I wish we
would put a limit on our Senate and House terms!If they can steal enough
in one term shame on them.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:31 AM »
Of course America hasn't had an Oliver Cromwell, or the type of rivalry of Richard and John or Elizabeth and Mary. We did have a spot of trouble called the civil war, but we got past it. (I understand there are places in the South where ther is still some resentment over the War of Northern Aggression.)  8) 8)
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
Of course America hasn't had an Oliver Cromwell, or the type of rivalry of Richard and John or Elizabeth and Mary. We did have a spot of trouble called the civil war, but we got past it. (I understand there are places in the South where there is still some resentment over the War of Northern Aggression.)  8) 8)

Doesn't suprise me one bit Lonny, we have a whole bunch of people in the north of Britain, who given half a chance dress up in skirts and bang on about the southern aggressors who have always held them back.  :D 
You'd never believe that once James the VI of Scotland was invited, and became, James the 1st of England, now if his bloodline was incapable of keeping the throne it's hardly the fault of the rest of us. The current monarchy's lineage is really German so I guess all of us could feel subjugated, but we don't - as we're not. ;)
Long live our Queen.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
Just a little side note.Since the time the Colonies became
the USA the UK has had some 60 + PM's not that that means
anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle